Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will 630w be enough juce?

Last response: in Components
Share
October 23, 2012 3:46:00 PM

right i have got a 7970 coming on wed and i am panicking about my psu,its a ocz 550w fatality

what i have in the rig

5 120mm led fans

2 120mm fans

1 140mm fan

h50 cooler

1 old sata hdd

1 ssd

i7 930 @3.8 1.24

and the 7970 bit over kill

on the psu calculator i got 500w should i risk or get psu asap?

More about : 630w juce

a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2012 3:57:47 PM

AMD recommends at least a 500 watt unit. I personally would want at least a 650 Watt unit from a reliable brand, Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, PCP&C, XFX, or Enermax.
a c 288 ) Power supply
October 23, 2012 4:00:44 PM

robin banks uk said:
right i have got a 7970 coming on wed and i am panicking about my psu,its a ocz 550w fatality

what i have in the rig

5 120mm led fans

2 120mm fans

1 140mm fan

h50 cooler

1 old sata hdd

1 ssd

i7 930 @3.8 1.24

and the 7970 bit over kill

on the psu calculator i got 500w should i risk or get psu asap?



You should be OK - in general these calculators build in a headroom safety factor.

I'm not familiar with the fatality series. Google it and find reviews for it. If it delivers it's rated
output and has sufficient amps on the +12v rail(s) you are OK.
I wouldn't get a new PSU unless that one doesn't produce it's published specs.

Tom

Related resources
October 23, 2012 4:14:38 PM

clarkjd said:
AMD recommends at least a 500 watt unit. I personally would want at least a 650 Watt unit from a reliable brand, Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, PCP&C, XFX, or Enermax.


looking at a bequiet 630w
a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2012 4:21:26 PM

robin banks uk said:
looking at a bequiet 630w

We don't get the BeQuiet models here in the states, but the reviews i've seen look good. :D 
a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2012 4:31:01 PM

Full system wattage with a 7970 is about 400w.

I can't find a trustworthy review of the Fatal1ty 550w (a bad sign), however, I did find a trustworthy one for a Fatal1ty 1000w and it wasn't too bad.

The one you have will probably handle it ok.
a c 288 ) Power supply
October 23, 2012 4:31:04 PM

robin banks uk said:
looking at a bequiet 630w


BeQueit's newer models are well reviewed, but their older models were not.
I suspect the one you are considering is an older model as the newer one
is 650w not 630. Could make a bigg diff.
You should dig a little deeper into the one you are considering.

Tom
October 23, 2012 4:34:21 PM

toyftw said:
BeQueit's newer models are well reviewed, but their older models were not.
I suspect the one you are considering is an older model as the newer one
is 650w not 630. Could make a bigg diff.
You should dig a little deeper into the one you are considering.

Tom



thanks my current psu is bit of a noob so have no idea what they mean....


the psu i was looking at is http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/psu/44781-quiet-pure-powe...


!