Eyefinity 3 monitor gaming

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
What would be the best solution for an eyefinity/3 monitor gaming setup. I personally don't quite mind running lower settings since playability is more important to me. SLI Gtx 560ti, 7850~70, 7950~70 single card solution? since the latter have 2-3gb vram apiece.

Also what's the lowest resolution to play eyefinity at? Like can a 1080p resolution stretch across 3 screens or would it just look weird. Thanks in advance.

Solution

If you want playability you would drop in games settings, not the resolution. Drop from Ultra to High quality and drop the AA in most games and you should get smooth play. Trying to stretch a 1080p image across 3 screens would simply distort the image into an unplayable mess. You have to realize, EyeFinity doesnt stretch the resolution, it adds field of view. Its not taking the 1920 and...

Helltech

Distinguished
For Nvidia I wouldn't go less then a GTX 680 for a single card solution, its the only REAL card that supports it (there was a Galaxy card from the 500's that did).

For AMD single card solution I wouldn't go less then a 7950.

You definitely want at least 2GB of vram, so 560Ti is out of the question. A few months ago I would say 1.5 would be enough, but with games like Skyrim and Grand Theft Auto having massive amounts of high resolution mods and what not, its almost necessary to have more vram, especially at larger resolutions.

randomkid

Distinguished

With regards to the question about lowest resolution, it should be 3x your single monitor resolution. If you have 3x 1920x1080 monitor, then you should have at least 5760x1080 in Eyefinity. It could be a bit wider when you activate bezel compensation (mine have 5916x1080).

Totally agree with HellTech on GPU options if you prefer single card solutions. But I am afraid that a single 7950/70 or even 680 will struggle at >5760x1080. I myself use CFX 6950 for this & just barely able to get to 60fps on Ultra high setting in Skyrim. In any case, with improved CFX scaling, 2x6950 will perform than a single 7970 or even the 680 for roughly the same price.

G

I really dont struggle with a single 7950 with eyeinfinity no your not going to get 60 fps ever game but it will still be plenty to power 3 monitors.I have mine overclocked quite high so i do really well with 3 monitors.I am adding a 2nd 7950 soon though

randomkid

Distinguished
I really dont struggle with a single 7950 with eyeinfinity no your not going to get 60 fps ever game but it will still be plenty to power 3 monitors.I have mine overclocked quite high so i do really well with 3 monitors.I am adding a 2nd 7950 soon though
If you can afford a ~800 bucks for GPU's then its really good for you. I envy you in fact. I wonder what 2x7950 will look like. I will watch out for it in your sig. Cheers!

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Yea I don't mind dropping settings for the 3 monitor setup as I'd rather have playability over max settings. My question to you randomkid is that I saw on some videos that they could drop the resolution to like 2500 someother and am wondering if you can game at that resolution across 3 screens? or just single 1080p resolution across 3 screens

G

hello ohyouknow! Playing 1080p (1920X1080P) across 3 monitors is going to be stretched. Going to look funny and prolly not playable. Stick with one monitor at 1080p or adjust res. accordingly.

Hope this helps!

randomkid

Distinguished

If you do not want to invest too much in the video card, yes, you can drop the resolution of each monitor to 1366x768 to arrive at ~4098x768 which will be less strenuous to your GPU. But it will be a waste of your full HD monitor to use them at these resolution. If you want moderate triple monitor setup, just buy 19" models with native 1366x768 resolution. It will be cheaper in terms of both monitor & the GPU.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

If you want playability you would drop in games settings, not the resolution. Drop from Ultra to High quality and drop the AA in most games and you should get smooth play. Trying to stretch a 1080p image across 3 screens would simply distort the image into an unplayable mess. You have to realize, EyeFinity doesnt stretch the resolution, it adds field of view. Its not taking the 1920 and stretching it, its giving you 3 x1920.

Solution