Sign in with
Your question

Strange FPS dipping/rising

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 25, 2012 4:22:36 AM

I looked around but couldn't find anyone with the same problem I'm having. I'm not a computer expert (I know most of the basics), so please forgive me if this seems inane.

Lately, after I have been playing games for around 20-30 minutes, I will experience a dip in fps. For about 1-2 seconds, my game will seem to slow down as if I were watching it in slow motion, then it will resume like normal. It will repeat doing this. I downloaded HwINFO to monitor my gfx card temps and it will get pretty hot (over 100C). Since I got my laptop I have been giving breaks from gaming because I didn't want to overheat it, but it seems lately like it is heating up very quickly, even after minimal gaming. Does anyone know what could be causing these issues?

Also, real quickly, I have been thinking of getting a 580m to replace my 285m. Would the heatsink be compatible with the new card?

Thanks for all your help.
a c 290 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 4:31:40 AM

How old is your laptop? What was the last time your cleaned dust? If it's still under warranty, you should let those guys fix it.
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 4:54:23 AM

What laptop do you have? Unless its a high-end one or a gaming one it is not likely you can replace the graphics card.

With that said over 100C is way to hot and probably the cause of your issues.

You can try to get one of those cooling fans that go under laptops, they seem to help a little, but are noisy.
Related resources
April 28, 2012 6:45:18 PM

I'm running an m17x-r2. I grabbed a can of dust buster and used the whole thing to clear out my lappy, but I'm still hitting 100c when gaming. Haven't had the slow-mo issue for a few days. I've been propping my laptop up with a book to allow for better airflow under my gfx card but this only helps a little.
!