Another irritating 3570k temp question

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
This is probably due to new build paranoia. Currently, temperature monitor utilities like Core Temp, CPUID HWMonitor and Real Temp are showing that one of my cores is running anywhere from 6 - 10 C degrees hotter than the others. Cores 0, 2 and 3 are all within a couple of degrees of each other but Core 1 shows 6 - 10 degree difference, depending on the monitor.

Overall CPU temp is good, about 30 - 33 C with ambient temp at 70 F. Example reading would be Core 0 = 26C, Core 1 = 35 C, Core 2 = 28 C and Core 3 = 25 C. All readings are with little or no load. I've read that it is not uncommon for core temp readings to have this kind of variation but just thought 10 degrees might be a bit much.

I've been considering pulling off my Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and re-applying the TIM to see if there would be any change but would really not like to do this if unnecessary, especially with the overall CPU temps being good.

Appreciate any advice and I would really like to put this paranoia behind me and move on to another one.

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

I haven't run Prime95 yet. Sort of new to this so I was going to do that soon. Not much loaded on the system yet so I don't have Photoshop installed. Anything else you can suggest that I run that will give me some load temps?

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

I know what prime is and I was able to find OCCT but I have no idea what IBT is. Is it the Intel Burn Test?

Forgive my lack of knowledge but I've never really used these tools on systems I've had (Dell, HP, etc.). This is the first time I've built a system with a CPU capable of OCing so I have to learn all the necessary testing procedures. I will be approaching this OCing process with baby steps!

Any recommendations as to the best one to use for a noobie? I know I can get the information on how to run the tests but thought you might have a preference?

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

OK, thanks for the info. I've checked with the Intel web site for the 3570K and it states the TCase temperature is 67.4 for this CPU. One guide I've read said that an IBT test should not exceed this temperature. Is this correct? Also, the same guide recommended running the Standard, High and Very Tests. Would this be sufficient to establish the stability of my CPU?
Here is a link to that guide:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/220743-cpu-stress-test-using-intelburntest.html

I am totally open to any guides, suggestions or advice on how best to run this test. Full specs for my new build are in my signature.

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Thanks for the link. At first glance it all seems a bit above my capabilities. I have no clue what the freezing and covering and grease and paper towels thing was but sure looked cool.

I was hoping to do a modest OC of around 4.2 Ghz for my 3570K. I'm air cooled with a Cooler Master 212 EVO and my RAM is Corsair Vengeance 1600 2 x 4 GB. I was intending to use the UEFI BIOS of my ASRock Z77 Pro4-M MB to accomplish this. Guess I need to find some kind of guide relative to doing this.