How bottlenecked have i been?

qwertymatrix

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
I have been using a HD 5670 plugged into a pci-e 1.0 x16 slot. Now i will be getting an entirely new system soon but may hold off on a new gpu for a bit. In the meantime im wondering how much my card has been bottlenecked and if it has what kind of performance boost can i expect from it when it finally gets plugged into a proper pci-e 2.x slot?

in case if there is more information needed to find a bootleneck this is my current mobo... (dont laugh!)

Motherboard manufacturer's name: ASUS A8M2N-LA
HP/Compaq name: Naos-GL6
also CPU is a single core 2.4GHz Athlon 64

It wasn't bottlenecked at all. You won't get any performance boost at all. HD 5670 doesn't use full bandwidth of PCIe 1.0 x16, only high end cards like GTX 570+ could run into bottleneck problems. I emphasize the word 'could', because even then the possibility is low.

randomkid

Distinguished

We can only give theorethical answers. I guess the 5670 is not too high up in the performance ladder that it is not being bottlenecked by the PCIe1. But I maybe wrong. You can find out soon enough & you will be in a position to share with us the facts based on your own experience. Before you move the 5670 to the new system, take measurement/benchmark of the fps you get in your favorite games. After you move to the new system, take the same measurement & compare.

qwertymatrix

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

I'll have to be honest here.. and that is im a noob in this area and dont have any idea how to do these measurements and benchmark testing as you suggested; wasnt something i was thinking of doing but now you bring it up i'll give it a shot to add to the this data to the community. But i'd have to also mention the sample size may not be very good as there are just some games i havent gotten around to getting b/c of the whole system in general wont run them.

randomkid

Distinguished
No problem. We all started as noob here... in the beginning we learn by asking but as we gain more knowledge by asking more & having personal experience, then we become contributors... Just stick around & you will get there.

Looking again at your rig, I would say that the single core Athlon 64 is giving you more bottleneck than the PCIe itself. In any case, a system upgrade is truly in order.

TRENDING THREADS