Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Question about ip address that changed

Last response: in Networking
June 27, 2011 1:02:41 AM

I am not that good at troubleshooting network issue but luckily I was able to figure out a problem I had with internet connection not working through my Linksys router.
I was wondering if someone can answer a question and educate me on this.

My computer is connected hardwire through a wireless router (linksys) and I have 3 wireless devices that connect to the wireless router.
I have had the wireless router for about a year and half. I set it up myself and have had no problems since day one until today.
It was working fine this morning, my computer was on the whole time, I never shut it down and all of a sudden a couple hours later went back to my computer and couldn't access the internet. "No internet access" message on the taskbar right hand side.
Not one of my wireless devices connect to the internet including my desktop that is hardwired.
I tried resetting the modem...no luck. I'm thinking outage or something else that had to do with my cable company. I called them, the lady had me try without the router, worked fine, problem with router.
I called linksys since I am not good at troubleshooting router issues and did not want to reconfigure everything and start from scratch.
The lady at linksys says the router is out of warranty and after a year they cannot provide free tech support and wanted to charge me for either two of their paid tech support which the cheapest was 30 bucks. I said no, i'll figure it out myself.
After some time of trying to figure out the problem I notice my ip address was different.
So I typed IPCONFIG /RENEW and it went back to 192.168.1.100.
Which now everything works fine.

Can someone please tell me how this happened? How did my ip address change.
It was in the middle of the day where my computer was on the whole time and one minute it was working fine, the next no internet connection.

Best solution

June 27, 2011 2:25:19 AM

You say you reset the modem, but did you reset the router at the same time?
As for why you got a correct IP address when you did the renew, you probably still had the IP from when you were hooked directly to the modem which should have gave you a much different IP address.

Whenever I have issues I unplug the router and the modem, wait 10 seconds, plug in modem, wait until it boots then plug in router.
June 27, 2011 2:32:55 AM

Thanks for the reply

I tried unplugging the router some time after the modem, still no luck but that might of been after the fact when I plugged the network cable directly into the modem.

"As for why you got a correct IP address when you did the renew, you probably still had the IP from when you were hooked directly to the modem which should have gave you a much different IP address."

Oh okay, that makes sense but now I'm confused as to why it started working since before all of this it was not.

m
l
Related resources
June 27, 2011 2:52:19 AM

Welcome to the world of networking. Sometimes strange things happen for no reason.
Sometimes the cable companies will change your modems IP for some reason. This can mess with your router, which pulls it's IP from the modem, which usually is your external address. If everything doesn't update correctly, no network. Resets usually fix it.
m
l
June 27, 2011 2:57:26 AM

Great, thank you.
m
l
June 27, 2011 2:57:36 AM

Best answer selected by mrfaces.
m
l
!