DVD and Zones

February 12, 2005 10:52:31 PM

Hello

As you all know, the all DVD players have a zone restriction (a DVD from
the US cannot be played on a European DVD player and vice versa). Does this
concept apply to computer DVD drives? If yes, would it be feasible to buy a
DVD drive in Paris or London and install it in my computer in the US?
System: Pentium 4, 2.2 Giga, 512Meg Memory, 80 gigaHD, 128 megs Video,
Windows XP Home
Thanks

J-Louis

More about : dvd zones

February 13, 2005 2:58:31 PM

Yes this zone restriction does exist on DVD drives in PCs as well. However,
there is software that lets you play any DVD from any region in any drive.
For EG on my pioneer 105 drive I order heaps of region 1 DVDs and play them
here on a Region 4 setup
http://www.remoteselector.com/

"jlbelard" <jlbelard@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> As you all know, the all DVD players have a zone restriction (a DVD
> from
> the US cannot be played on a European DVD player and vice versa). Does
> this
> concept apply to computer DVD drives? If yes, would it be feasible to buy
> DVD drive in Paris or London and install it in my computer in the US?
> System: Pentium 4, 2.2 Giga, 512Meg Memory, 80 gigaHD, 128 megs Video,
> Windows XP Home
> Thanks
>
> J-Louis

Anonymous
February 13, 2005 2:58:32 PM

"Paul" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>Yes this zone restriction does exist on DVD drives in PCs as well. However,
>there is software that lets you play any DVD from any region in any drive.
>For EG on my pioneer 105 drive I order heaps of region 1 DVDs and play them
>here on a Region 4 setup
>http://www.remoteselector.com/

There's just a description on that page. I can't find any links to
download the software.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
February 14, 2005 12:57:31 PM

Hi,

Most CD/DVD drives allow you to change the region up to 5 times, so you
could buy a second drive and change its region. Go to START>CONTROL
PANEL>SYSTEM>HARDWARE>DEVICE MANAGER and locate your CD/DVD drive then
either double click it or right click and select "Properties" there should
be a tab called "Region" that lets you change the region up to 5 times.

Andy

"jlbelard" <jlbelard@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> As you all know, the all DVD players have a zone restriction (a DVD
> from
> the US cannot be played on a European DVD player and vice versa). Does
> this
> concept apply to computer DVD drives? If yes, would it be feasible to buy
> DVD drive in Paris or London and install it in my computer in the US?
> System: Pentium 4, 2.2 Giga, 512Meg Memory, 80 gigaHD, 128 megs Video,
> Windows XP Home
> Thanks
>
> J-Louis

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 4:32:25 AM

Look carefully.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:377rb2F574erdU5@individual.net...
> "Paul" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>>Yes this zone restriction does exist on DVD drives in PCs as well. However,
>>there is software that lets you play any DVD from any region in any drive.
>>For EG on my pioneer 105 drive I order heaps of region 1 DVDs and play them
>>here on a Region 4 setup
>>http://www.remoteselector.com/
>
> There's just a description on that page. I can't find any links to
> download the software.

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
February 15, 2005 8:47:38 PM

For those that have non functioning little white approximately sphererical
things just below your forhead, here's the link from the site

http://www.remoteselector.com/files/remselec22.exe

">
> There's just a description on that page. I can't find any links to
> download the software.

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 7:43:24 PM

"" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:377rb2F574erdU5@individual.net...
>> "Paul" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>>>Yes this zone restriction does exist on DVD drives in PCs as well. However,
>>>there is software that lets you play any DVD from any region in any drive.
>>>For EG on my pioneer 105 drive I order heaps of region 1 DVDs and play them
>>>here on a Region 4 setup
>>>http://www.remoteselector.com/
>>
>> There's just a description on that page. I can't find any links to
>> download the software.
>
>Look carefully.

Thank you, Mr. Helpful. I already looked carefully before posting,
and I have just now looked carefully again. There is no download
link visible.

"Paul" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>For those that have non functioning little white approximately sphererical
>things just below your forhead, here's the link from the site
>
>http://www.remoteselector.com/files/remselec22.exe

Thank you for the direct link, which worked just fine for me.

FYI, I revisited the page http://www.remoteselector.com/ and did a
the source code. Possibly the page author is using some sort of
proprietary Microsoftisms that don't show up in a standards-
compliant browsers.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
February 17, 2005 12:21:20 PM

Hi,

I just went to taht site http://www.remoteselector.com/ and found the
download link at the top of the page between the yellow fonted Remote
Selector and What is Remote Selector? Its in a light gray font with sends
you to http://www.remoteselector.com/download.htm

Jeff

> "" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>>"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>>>
>>> There's just a description on that page. I can't find any links to
>>> download the software.
>>
>>Look carefully.
>
> Thank you, Mr. Helpful. I already looked carefully before posting,
> and I have just now looked carefully again. There is no download
> link visible.
>
> "Paul" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>>For those that have non functioning little white approximately sphererical
>>things just below your forhead, here's the link from the site
>>
>>http://www.remoteselector.com/files/remselec22.exe
>
> Thank you for the direct link, which worked just fine for me.
>
> FYI, I revisited the page http://www.remoteselector.com/ and did a
> the source code. Possibly the page author is using some sort of
> proprietary Microsoftisms that don't show up in a standards-
> compliant browsers.

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 7:40:58 PM

"jeffrey" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>I just went to taht site http://www.remoteselector.com/ and found the
>download link at the top of the page between the yellow fonted Remote
>Selector and What is Remote Selector? Its in a light gray font with sends
>you to http://www.remoteselector.com/download.htm

Thanks for posting -- it's not visible in my browser. "What is
Remote Selector" is in black at top of page and the next thing
(also in black) is "Remote Selector is an add-on utility ..."

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 5:09:31 PM

Try Ctrl + A which select all and can show things as the colour will change.

http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:37khb6F5bh6niU7@individual.net...
> "jeffrey" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>>I just went to taht site http://www.remoteselector.com/ and found the
>>download link at the top of the page between the yellow fonted Remote
>>Selector and What is Remote Selector? Its in a light gray font with sends
>>you to http://www.remoteselector.com/download.htm
>
> Thanks for posting -- it's not visible in my browser. "What is
> Remote Selector" is in black at top of page and the next thing
> (also in black) is "Remote Selector is an add-on utility ..."

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 3:03:06 PM

At the very top of that window, rest your mouse pointer on the Title
"Download". After a moment, that title will brighten and you can then
click it and you will be taken to the download.
Gene K

Stan Brown wrote:
> "Paul" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>
>>Yes this zone restriction does exist on DVD drives in PCs as well. However,
>>there is software that lets you play any DVD from any region in any drive.
>>For EG on my pioneer 105 drive I order heaps of region 1 DVDs and play them
>>here on a Region 4 setup
>>http://www.remoteselector.com/
>

> There's just a description on that page. I can't find any links to
> download the software.

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 1:48:07 AM

"Not Me" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>Stan Brown wrote:
>> "Paul" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>>>http://www.remoteselector.com/
>>
>> There's just a description on that page. I can't find any links to
>> download the software.

>At the very top of that window, rest your mouse pointer on the Title
>"Download". After a moment, that title will brighten and you can then
>click it and you will be taken to the download.

Sigh. There _is no "title 'download'" at the top of the page, or
anywhere else.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read