Sign in with
Your question

Grapchic card for GIGABYTE GA-E350N-USB3 AMD E-350 APU 1.6GHz Dual-Cor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 25, 2012 10:31:04 AM

Hello,
I'm building up a multipurpose PC from scratch.
So far I have

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-E350N-USB3 AMD E-350 APU 1.6GHz Dual-Core
HD: a corsair 90 Gb SSD
RAM: 2x4Gb 1333 Mhz sticks
PSU: I have to decide between a 550 watts with a 12cm fan or a 300 watts fanless
An LG 6X slim Blue ray player

I would like to use it for:
- watch HD videos in bluray, and also streaming HD from netflix or similar
- Run music software (ex. foobar) from a logitech squeezebox.
- Ocasional gaming of recent titles at mid settings

My requirements:
When not playing games, it should be as silent as possible, and consume little watts.
I don't mind it getting more noisy or consuming more watts whn playing games

Question is: the APU graphic capabilities is rather limited, and I'd like to use the PCIe to install a graphics card.
Which graphics card would you recommend? I'd likely buy it second hand.
thanks!
david
April 25, 2012 3:03:03 PM

I was considering especifically a Radeon fanless card, such as:

I'm not sure if, with the CPU I have (not upgradeable as it's soldered to the mobo) i will get a real improvement with any of these cards (fanless versions of 5770, 6770, 7750, 6850), over, a more basic one (also fanless) such as a 5450 or 6450.

Any advice?
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 4:45:00 PM

For what you are doing, you will probably not gain any kind of improvement over a more basic card, at least for non-gaming tasks.

What kind of modern titles were you looking at playing, since it makes a considerable difference.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 4:54:15 PM

You're going to be CPU limited and not see much scaling at all, especially on recent titles. Not only are you CPU bound but also limited by the PCIe bandwidth. Notice that some games even have negative scaling when adding a discrete GPU. See AnandTech's testing with a discrete GPU - http://www.anandtech.com/show/4134/the-brazos-review-am...
April 25, 2012 4:54:51 PM

Hello again,

Some starcraft II, mass effect 3, and diablo 3. Skyrim maybe...

I'm not into shooters..
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 5:09:52 PM

Yeah, that E-350 is going to bog down with the last title for sure, possibly with Mass Effect 3 as well.
April 25, 2012 5:09:53 PM

I guess a A4 or a A6 or a intel pentium CPU would be better if you want to add a discrete GPU.
Go for the e 350 only if you use the GPU onbard not adding a discrete GPU.
April 25, 2012 5:18:43 PM

Thanks for the link to the reviw. I had searched a lot, but did not find that one.
As I feared, I'm bottlenecked by the CPU in most games. I'm still tempted to try a PCIe card... Maybe I will better wait and see how games play without it (actually I don't even have times to play games at all :sweat:  ...

Myabe i would better wait and save for the nextgen consoles....

Still, anyone have tried a pcie graphic enhancement of the described E-350 mobo? (Aside from the ananda review?)
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 6:22:10 PM

I've tried a 5450, but nothing beyond that (mostly for additional displays).
April 26, 2012 8:24:07 AM

mitunchidamparam said:
I guess a A4 or a A6 or a intel pentium CPU would be better if you want to add a discrete GPU.
Go for the e 350 only if you use the GPU onbard not adding a discrete GPU.

Actually the motherboard is the first thing I bought. As sometimes happens I did all components research after a compulsive purchase... and now I'm stuck with a relatively low processor that limits gameplay. I was even considering putting TWO motherboards in the same case... one for gameplaying and the other to view movies... but that would mean two HDDs, two optical drives, duplicated Ram, two PSUs and two on/off buttons, etc...

It could be a curious machine, though, :D 
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2012 8:43:31 AM

6850 OC/7770 OC for good 6-pin power performance
non 6-pin buy 7750 OC~
!