Which graphics card to buy for use with 3 monitors with different scre

rassom

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Which graphic card(s) - preferably with no fan, as speed is not much of an issue - is available that supports 3 monitors, with different screen resolutions?

Usage: For stock trading, no gaming - i.e. speed/performance not so important.
Computer: Dell Minitower, no built-in graphics
Slot type: PCI-E (only 1 of those slots in the PC)
Current card in slot: SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6450 1024MB GDDR3 (this one: http://bit.ly/J6xgJK)
Monitors: 2x Dell 2009W, 1x Samsng SyncMaster B2440

PS. I have (of course) googled with no satisfactory result. Therefore this question :)

rassom

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

Thanks - what they write is unfortunately only semi-correct, because the card doesn't support 3 monitors at the same time without an active adaptor (which means unwanted mirroring, not screen extension) and, more importantly, not 3 monitors with different screen resolutions (which is what I have).

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

Wamphryi is correct. You can change the mirrored monitor to extended through the catalyst control center. You can also set the extended desktops to different resolutions as long as they are not in an eyefinity display group. If they are in an eyefinity display group, the new 7xxx series are the only ones that will allow you to use different resolution monitors at the same time. You can only have two monitors running without active adapters and you need and active adapter for monitors 3,4 etc. Active mini display port adapters are $25 at newegg. This is better than going with nvidia where you would have to purchase a second card and sli to get enough monitor ports.

rassom

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

Thanks but did you try this? Because I tried and I can only make extended monitor work in an eyefyinity group and then only with 2 monitors. Also, my card doesn't have a mini displayport, it has HDMI (and VGA + DVI), so I am not sure buying an active adapter would help?

Do you know of any graphics cards that support 3 monitors with different solutions out of the box, no adapters? I might just go for an easy (and more expensive) solution to avoid battling with it :)

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
As you have guessed i have not used that card before. I have used other 6xxx series cards and have combined three 1920 x 1080 monitors with a single 1440x900. One 1080 monitor as main with the other 3 extended. CCC defaults to setting up all monitors as mirrored. I think your card is the only 6xxx series without a display port adapter. I have no idea why you cannot get 3 monitors working. I have never seen an active adapter other than a display port or mini display port. Perhaps you need to send an email to AMD since they advertise that you can run 3 monitors off of that card. Have you tried 3 monitors? You may need enable the 3rd monitor in CCC before it displays anything.

rassom

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I think you're right that it is an odd card. If anyone has a recommendation for new/another card it would be great, thanks.

rassom

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

If that's correct, how can I run 3 monitors not in an Eyefinity group (I tried with no luck) and what it work with different screen resolutions on the 3 monitors? If you know how to do it, it would be highly appreciated :)