Solved

Fx8150 w/ Radeon 6870 Bottleneck

Im not to sure if its a bottleneck or what but during bf3 gameplay on a 40player tdm match, the gpu reaches 95% usage and cpu 56% usage and it lags on ultra, it plays 30+ fps which to me is playable, it'll just drop to 20ish and lag massively then go back to fine then slight lag. it gets annoying, tried high and plays fine but i know the gpu and cpu can do ultra lol Playing on a 32" vizio led tv @1080p
Specs:
FX 8150 @ 3.6Ghz can go to 4.2 if needed
ASUS Sabertooth 990fx
4x2gb Kingston HyperX 1600 RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
OCZ ModXStream 600watt psu

I know that the fx bulldozer cpus werent the best for gaming but even if it ran like a quad core it should still play bf3 fine. Would a cpu OC work?
High preset lags slightly but not as bad as on ultra and got 99% gpu and 65% cpu
24 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about fx8150 radeon 6870 bottleneck
  1. Hi :)

Its your graphics card...you NEED a better card...

All the best Brett :)
  2. ok well i can stand not playing ultra, but why does it lag on high? my 6770 plays high just fine along with my six core, so how does a better gpu and cpu lag?
  3. Well im not an expert on bottlenecking but at high resolutions more load is placed on the video card than on the cpu and its vice versa when it lower resolutions.
  4. I know that for the resolutions but the 6770 and 6870 both have 1gb of ram and run bf3 on high @1080p only difference is the cpu and of course gpu is that i play on a 24" tv with the 6770 vs a 32" if that matters any
  5. I used to have a GTX 560 Ti and it used to lag on ultra, I found out that the card's 1GB of VRAM was the problem because it wasn't enough.

SO I purchased a 2GB HD 7850 and I am now playing BF3 on Ultra at a constant 60 FPS.
  6. Okay got that and the pc wont be used for bf3 that often, but was just wondering, and yes i can see how the 2gb card would make ultra playable, but more stuck now on the high settings preset with lag

Turned it to ultra, then custom and turned antialiasing deffered, and seemed pretty smooth
  7. +1 the HD 6870 is actually a really good card for gaming at normal resolution but you want to have more video ram for your video card. I know people get those extremely expensive 4-6gb video cards (not a lot out there) to game on 60 inch tvs
  8. so the size of the tv/monitor will effect the gameplay? of course with only 1gb lol
  9. So have you decided in upgrading your video card? Also why don't you try overclocking your cpu a bit to see if it helps?
  10. i got it to 4.2 without knowing lol i hit optimal performance in the bios and not expecting it to actually oc'ing it, i just dont know wat safe temps r as its using stock cooling. When it was at 4.2 i just ran Wow and no BF3 and temps were in mid 50s if i remember.

And no new gpu as my this is my bro in laws second pc as his i7 with the 670gtx is his primary, the 6870 came out of his pc and he built around it so no upgrade and only time bf3 will be played on it is when im using it.

So the size of the tv effects fps? i didnt know this if ur right, i thought it was more of the resolution.
  11. Best answer
    the only bottleneck i see is your video card . try a mixture of High and Ultra no AA/AF and turn off HBAO and only the resolution affects the graphics not the size of the monitor/tv

Edit: i play on ultra at 1920x1080 w/a FX 4100 & HD 6950 2GB 50+ FPS
  12. Okay, that clears that up lol ill try it and likely it'll work. thanks

now back to the 6870 lagging on high preset where my 6770 plays smoothly with some mix of settings for slightly higher fps but its mostly changing things from high to medium and its not many i changed.
  13. I get around 45-50 FPS on Ultra at 1920x1080 with x4 MSAA on my Phenom 965 BE and my 6870

I would say its my card that actually bottlenecks since the CPU usage is only around 75-80%
  14. straight ultra? no changes done in custom? and i didnt check fps since well it was lagging lol
  15. It is probably the resolution, usually you need more than 1gb vram to effectively run 1080p.

Running on a TV probably causes a delay between your gpu and the display. Most Tv's are not really made for fast pace high latency games. Although I doubt the TV would be the main cause for loss of performance.

Also go into your video settings and look for shadows setting and reflections setting. Lower the shadows to medium and reflection to reflect water & sky or w/e. That might help some without degrading the quality too much.
  16. its prob the ram when on ultra but high settings it still lags slightly and its cant be the tv as my 6770 plays fine with a 24' lcd dynex tv, and id consider a 32' led vizio better lol
  17. I run my 8120 at 4.7 ghz with CF 6970s, Im normally pushing 120+ fps on ultra settings on most maps.

http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-performance/page5.html

according to their review, they wouldn't even touch ultra without a 2gb card.

sounds like it could be a possible glitch in the 6870 card since the 6770 runs faster.
  18. could be, it doesnt run faster it just lags lol, but as mentioned with antialiasing deffered on ultra it worked great so it has to be the ram or something but even on high i saw lag.
  19. lazyboy947 said:
    straight ultra? no changes done in custom? and i didnt check fps since well it was lagging lol

Here is a vid of mine
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2zdc0ZTjks
    Feel free to browse the others aswel for a benchmark
  20. lazyboy947 said:
    its prob the ram when on ultra but high settings it still lags slightly and its cant be the tv as my 6770 plays fine with a 24' lcd dynex tv, and id consider a 32' led vizio better lol

Again, the size of the screen is irrelevant. What you need to look at is resolution.
  21. FinneousPJ said:
    Again, the size of the screen is irrelevant. What you need to look at is resolution.

+1
  22. BF3 at full ultra at 1920X1080 needs more than 1GB VRAM for smooth gameplay. Your "bottleneck" is just your card lacking the VRAM and the grunt needed that card is not really a BF3 full ultra card unless you accept some regular hefty dips. High maybe if you don't set your standards far in terms of FPS and smooth play.

In short you want 1080p at high or ultra get a better card.
  23. sorry but ive heard this all before in previous posts and when i posted above with the monitor size i know mutiple people dont need to repost it lol. And i know that the gb of vram isnt enough for full ultra and it plays ultra now with antialiasing off, but even on the high preset it lags some where the lower end 6770 doesnt with both @ 1080p
  24. Best answer selected by Lazyboy947.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Bottleneck