Sign in with
Your question

First Build - Final check

Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2012 7:33:12 AM

Hi everyone. This is my first build and I've got a few questions regarding my build. Also any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: $1400 CDN after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Surfing the internet, Movies

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, speakers etc.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.ca

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: Most likely

SLI or Crossfire: Doubt it, maybe down the road. Wouldn't mind keeping my options open here.

Monitor Resolution: 1440 x 900. I'll likely buy something locally for a dual screen setup after assembly so this is subject to change.

Additional Comments: I'm just looking for something that will be able to game for the foreseeable future while not breaking the bank.

Parts List

There's also a $35 discount for the case/PSU combo but i couldn't figure out how to get the combo to show up in the wish list.
Right now my total is coming to $1380 CDN as well as $30 in mail in rebates which is a little below budget but that's fine by me.

My main questions are:

1. Are all the above parts compatible?
2. Are there any components I could swap out for better performance at the same price?

Other questions:

1. Is an 800W PSU overkill? Should I downsize a bit and put more money elsewhere such as the GPU or mobo?
2. Would an Ivy Bridge CPU be better in the long run such as an i5-3570k or does the OC ability of the i5-2500k outweigh the potential benefits?
3. If I'm looking to run a dual screen set up would I be better served by another GPU or is mine fine?

Thanks

More about : build final check

June 20, 2012 8:03:31 AM

The PSU is overkill and generally don't look to Coolermaster for PSU's. For a single card setup, you only need 600W, though if you want to leave the possibility of Crossfire later, get a 750W. Corsair or Seasonic PSU's are notoriously good, make sure its modular and 80+ Bronze or better.

Yes, get the Ivy Bridge, it will go better with you'r motherboard. Ivy does run hotter when overclocking, so you cant hit as high frequencies. But clock for clock, a 3570k will outperform a 2500k, so each clock is worth more (which nulls the advantage of the 2500k in my opinion).

Since you cant game on dual screens and Eyefinity only works on 3 or more screens, you dont have to worry about the GPU in a dual screen situation. My secondary screen just sits at the desktop, its not consuming any resources. I would recommend getting a 1920x1080 monitor before getting another at 1440x900.

That HDD you have there is ridiculously overpriced. For only $10 more you can get a 1TB Seagate Barracuda at the same specs.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Way too much RAM, gaming rigs will never use more than 8GB. Get this kit, specs are the same.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

You want the Hyper 212 EVO, not the 212+. The EVO has a better baseplate which leads to much cooler idle temps and a small drop under load.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...
m
l
!