Sign in with
Your question

New Build, Still Deciding on Parts, Want Opinions

Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2012 8:15:51 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: within the next 2 weeks

Budget Range: roughly $500-$650 (including the OS)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, video editing, photo editing

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, display, PSU, RAM, case, graphics card, storage drive

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: my local microcenter but open to online deals as well

Parts Preferences: looking to go intel for the CPU, no other parts preference

Overclocking: Definitely

SLI or Crossfire: In the future.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:

The money for this upgrade is coming from my school loans (what's wrong with throwing an extra $600 in when you're already going to owe $19,000 by the end anyway?) so i have some wiggle room but i don't want to go crazy. I'd prefer to stay within $600.

So I'm mainly upgrading my CPU, motherboard and adding an SSD for quick boot and programs. I wanted a CPU that would handle gaming well for the next couple years and a motherboard that could handle overclocking and SLI. I already have 2 1TB HDD's for storage and games, 16 GB of RAM and a newly bought GTX 670 Windforce OC edition (loving it, btw).

Here's what i'm thinking (all prices are from Micro Center except for the Thermalright cooler):

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k, $189
Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 140, roughly $50 depending on where i get it.
Mobo: Either an ASUS P8 z77 V-PRO - $159 or an ASUS Z77 TUFF - $189
SSD: Crucial M4 120GB $114, Crucial M4 256 GB $199 - or OCZ Vertex 3 128GB $90 or OCZ Vertex 3 240 GB $190.

I need a new cooler because my current EVO is going with my cpu/motherboard into a basic machine my friends and i are building for our minecraft server.

I'm pretty dead set on the 3570k but I will definitely listen to anyone recommending the 2500k. I'm only OC'ing it to roughly 4.1-4.3 so hopefully i won't be reaching those 80 C load temps i've been hearing about.

As for the SSD, that's where I'm the most open. I'm split between the 120 GB or 240 GB models, and MicroCenter has good deals on the OCZ Vertex 3 drives and Crucial Drives.

What are your suggestions? Thanks in advance.
June 20, 2012 9:23:09 AM

Try this

ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

bundled with:

1x Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz ...
$394.98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... the SSD i prefer the Crucial M4 but there are a few that are faster and benchmark higher than Crucial M4 CPU Cooler i never used that one you mentioned so i can't say if it's good or not me personally i would only consider using three different heat sinks these days otherwise i prefer custom loop and they all cost more than 50 dollars so i won't recommend anything there ;)  :lol: 
m
l
!