Sign in with
Your question
Closed

[CPU Problems]

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 23, 2012 11:28:05 PM

This may be the wrong category for this post, so I apologize ahead of time, as it is my first post. I noticed that while gaming, my fps would suddenly drop to less than one fps (normally around 40 on most games). I checked RealTemp and BOOM. 105 degrees celcius. WTF? I turned it off the first time in panic, but the next few times i let it run its course. I watched it for about 10 boring minutes and suddenly it went from 105 to 32 in about 5 seconds. I figured it was either a problem with the mobo, the cpu, or the cpu fan so I went out and bought new ones after about two weeks of anger. What do you know? The same problem. This problem is really getting on my nerves. Could it be my psu? Thanks

More about : cpu problems

October 24, 2012 4:46:14 AM

Has this happened on a new build or after some time?
Score
October 25, 2012 11:02:37 PM

Burgies said:
Has this happened on a new build or after some time?

after some time with the original build, but only after about a week with the mobo, cpu, cpu cooler upgrade
Score
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
October 25, 2012 11:06:29 PM

I highly doubt it is your PSU that is messing up your CPU temperatures.

What CPU cooler did you have before? What CPU cooler did you purchase now? What are your Ambient Temperatures? What Model is your CPU? (Exact model would be nice, CPU-Z is your best friend). Did you clean off the old thermal paste before installing the new CPU cooler?
Score
October 26, 2012 12:00:35 AM

mocchan said:
I highly doubt it is your PSU that is messing up your CPU temperatures.

What CPU cooler did you have before? What CPU cooler did you purchase now? What are your Ambient Temperatures? What Model is your CPU? (Exact model would be nice, CPU-Z is your best friend). Did you clean off the old thermal paste before installing the new CPU cooler?

I had the Scythe Mugen 2 and now have the Corsair h60. My ambient temperatures are 21-22 C. I have the Intel 3570k @ 4ghZ. It is overclocked because I have seen no change in the temperature problem from the overclocked mode to the normal. And I removed (with a purchased removal kit) the thermal paste and reapplied it multiple times, previously thinking that was my problem (ie, too much tp, etc.)

PS: This is so aggrevating... currently at 105 C 0.o
Score
a c 109 à CPUs
October 26, 2012 1:29:06 AM

Are you experiencing any Throttling? And what are you doing at the moment? Anything CPU intensive?

Since you have an H60, I'm either thinking this is a faulty unit (faulty pump) OR this is a sensor issue as your previous cooler displays the same temperature as this current cooler.
Score
October 26, 2012 2:41:12 AM

mocchan said:
Are you experiencing any Throttling? And what are you doing at the moment? Anything CPU intensive?

Since you have an H60, I'm either thinking this is a faulty unit (faulty pump) OR this is a sensor issue as your previous cooler displays the same temperature as this current cooler.

The problem seems to initiate while playing a game... but not immediately. after about a half hour (although this ALWAYS varys- on rare occasionans it doesn't "overheat" for hours). I then close the program and have to wait from 10 min to an hour for it to return to ~35 C.

If it is a senor issue, why does my computer become crippled almost to the point of "freezing" when this apparent overheat takes place? (1/2 fps, takes a minute to switch tabs, typing very delayed)

BTW thanks for your responses!
Score
a c 109 à CPUs
October 26, 2012 5:44:15 AM

I must have missed the part where you said your idle temperatures in your first post. If you are seeing temperatures of ~35C at idle, then I highly doubt it is a sensor issue. (though this is still a possibility).

If you have CPU-Z installed, could you open it and tell me what your voltages are when your CPU is at load? This could help dissolve some of the mystery.

Also, if you could, could you also tell me HWMonitor results? I'm interested in seeing a different program reports temperatures as well. A screenshot would help a lot, if possible :) 
Score
October 26, 2012 11:08:56 AM

mocchan said:
I must have missed the part where you said your idle temperatures in your first post. If you are seeing temperatures of ~35C at idle, then I highly doubt it is a sensor issue. (though this is still a possibility).

If you have CPU-Z installed, could you open it and tell me what your voltages are when your CPU is at load? This could help dissolve some of the mystery.

Also, if you could, could you also tell me HWMonitor results? I'm interested in seeing a different program reports temperatures as well. A screenshot would help a lot, if possible :) 

Sorry I'm a newbie to forum posting haha

http://imgur.com/mL7tE,OuA4v#0

http://imgur.com/mL7tE,OuA4v#1

Both under prime 64 torture test
Score
a c 109 à CPUs
October 26, 2012 11:51:45 PM

Hmm...with those temperatures, I see in no way how your CPU would overheat while playing games/browsing the web.

Under 65C with Prime95 is an EXCELLENT temperature range.

Just to make sure, how long did you run Prime95 for? If it was under 5 minutes, could you run it again and this time, run it for around 15 minutes and post screenshots of your CPU and HWMonitor? This would help me greatly.
Score
a c 109 à CPUs
October 28, 2012 4:12:39 PM

-scratches head- I see no reason why a game would make your CPU get hotter than Prime95 :ouch: 

I'll see if I can find anything out :) 
Score
October 28, 2012 5:29:17 PM

Hahaha ive wondered the same for about a year and a half now...

But I appreciate your efforts!!
Score
a c 109 à CPUs
October 29, 2012 11:29:54 PM

This is even more confusing. I've been searching the web endlessly to see if there was a solution. Your CPU is pulling less wattage from the socket than during Prime95 yet showing temperatures 40-50C hotter.

All I can tell you at this point is to try resetting your BIOS to default and/or updating your BIOS.
Score
October 30, 2012 12:24:48 AM

X: that has been attempted many times... My luck I have the weirdest problem ever hahah. Thanks for your help!!
Score
a c 109 à CPUs
October 30, 2012 12:26:44 AM

:(  I'm sorry I couldn't have assisted you further. Hopefully someone will come along with a solution to this very odd issue you're having.
Score
November 2, 2012 2:55:33 AM

BUMP?
Score
November 2, 2012 3:26:31 AM

Never has shut down due to high temps, oddly enough.
Score
a c 109 à CPUs
November 2, 2012 3:55:38 AM

dontblink said:
Never has shut down due to high temps, oddly enough.

I'm STILL trying to find a solution online, by the way - I bookmarked this thread to remember your username. The 'thermal throttling' is puzzling along with your Prime95 results.
Score
November 2, 2012 5:57:10 PM

Haha good man! I would've borrowed a friend's psu and tried that (since its the only piece I haven't upgraded) to see if that is the problem, but I just moved and haven't met too many people yet. D:
Score
November 3, 2012 1:37:50 PM

UPDATE: My computer won't boot now. Seems everything is functioning internally, but can't get signal on the monitor...... Took apart everything and the cpu looked fine... what is going on here.....
Score
November 3, 2012 1:42:23 PM

bump?
Score
November 3, 2012 3:33:02 PM

bump
Score
November 3, 2012 3:50:04 PM

UPDATE: functional but still experiencing random temp jumps
Score
!