improvised

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
I would like to give my new IB i7-3770K a modest over clock. I'd like to get at least 2 years out of the CPU so I'm wondering what the average and max recommended temps are(?). I can't seem to find any info out there regarding the suggested temps for IB. I'm new to OC'ing so maybe this is just general knowledge? I know that no one has ran an IB for more than 2 years, but what are some of your experiences with CPUs and various temperatures?

Also, for what it's worth, it seems my IB is running even hotter than the others I've seen out there. I know it runs hot, but I have one core that's hitting about 85°C right out of the gate (on air) when I run a 4.3Ghz over clock with the voltage at 1.1V (it tends to run up to about 1.15V). I'm also not doing much better with water--at the same settings I'm still maxing out the same core at about 81°C. I've seen that a lot of test can get the 3770K up to 4.5Ghz on 1.1V. I can't even come close to that. Could I just have a lazy chip?

Thanks,
-B

Solution
With Ivy Bridge, up to around 90-95C is very acceptable. Keep in mind that Prime95 will put an unrealistic load on your CPU in the first place, so any real-world application will most likely never get your CPU that hot. If we were talking Sandy Bridge, however....I would definitely want to keep the temperatures under 80C.

Also, your CPU cooler has a very thin radiator, thus it won't provide the best cooling possible. However, I could definitely see you take your CPU to around 4.4-4.5Ghz within reasonable temperatures :)

improvised

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
What CPU cooler are you using?

Thermaltake Water2.0 Pro

90C would work fine. I think I can keep all the cores under a max of 90C even stressing the CPU for 12+ hours and get an OC I like. Can anyone else confirm that 90C is a safe max or do I need to be looking lower?

With Ivy Bridge, up to around 90-95C is very acceptable. Keep in mind that Prime95 will put an unrealistic load on your CPU in the first place, so any real-world application will most likely never get your CPU that hot. If we were talking Sandy Bridge, however....I would definitely want to keep the temperatures under 80C.

Also, your CPU cooler has a very thin radiator, thus it won't provide the best cooling possible. However, I could definitely see you take your CPU to around 4.4-4.5Ghz within reasonable temperatures :)

Solution

improvised

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
That makes sense. Thanks for the help. The only thing I'll be doing that would run my CPU hot for very long is rendering in 3DS Max. I'll have to setup some tests so I can see how hot a real world render gets things.

I'd be WAY happy with a 4.4-4.5Mhz OC.

Anyone else have any suggestions re: temps on IB?

Silicon lottery winner... how many volts are you pushing through your chip? You may be one of the few that can actually get a stable 5Ghz out of your chip :lol:

italiasian

Distinguished
May 29, 2011

I haven't messed with the volts yet, it is at 1.056V. I will push my overclock more when i get a new case with better airflow and better fans.