xbox live disconnecting / xbox connection dropping

Last response: in Video Games
January 14, 2005 2:12:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox.games,microsoft.public.xbox.live (More info?)

I think I may have identified why my xbox was dropping the connections. I'm
not able to fully confirm it.

It appeared during big games, so it may have been some kind of issue when
there's a lot of traffic during big games. That may still be the issue.

But, I've also noticed that my LAN connection icon on my PC will flicker
occasionally - the LAN connection will drop and instantly reconnect ("Now
conencted at 100Mbps").

I had an older (2002) version of firmware on the router Linksys BEFRS81
router (8-port version of the BEFRS41), so I upgraded it. Now the
disconnect/reconnect phenomena seems a little more frequent. Before it
seemed rare, now more often.

So, I suspect that my linksys router could be under hacker attack. Here's
what makes me think this - when I actually change router settings myself,
the router will disconnect and reconnect... I don't think I've been fully
hacked because I do have a strong password.

At this point Xbox now is reliable for small games. I don't get
disconnected but really haven't really tested large games.

I decided to flip through my router setting to see if there's anything
there.

I do have remote management disabled, but there are at least a couple new
options with the firmware in the "Filters" page: Block WAN request, and
Filter IDENT (port 113). The IDENT filter was not enabled and there seems
to be some stuff on the internet that describe a linksys router
vulnerability associated with this.

Essentially the IDENT protocol simply supplies an identification reply to
anyone who asks. So, apparently people can ping the router on port 113 and
get a reply and/or exploit a vulnerability. I think the filter might
normally be enabled, but mine wasn't.

I also had to enable "Block WAN request" which apparently controls the
filter controls whether the router responds to pings.

Now I'll wait and see if there are the same number of disconnect/connects.
If my theory proves, there were a number of script kiddies hitting my IP to
detect if I have a LinkSys router. Next, they are attempting to attack the
router and then get to my PC. Apparently the detection step was happening,
but hopefully they weren't able to get through. I haven't noticed any
strangeness on my computers, but I do not run software firewalls.

Also, hopefully I haven't screwed my UPnP behavior which is the thing that
allows MSN Messenger actually allows advanced features (file xfer &
conferencing) from behind the router.

You know, Linksys is the dominant home networking gear maker. If it's this
complex for me, 90% of the world has no freaking chance!

More about : xbox live disconnecting xbox connection dropping

January 14, 2005 2:12:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox.games,microsoft.public.xbox.live (More info?)

You might also check for ADware or Spyware on your PC. This stuff will eat
up bandwidth in a hurry. And once it is on your PC your router won't block
it and neither will your firewall. You should get some spyware detection
software and run it on your PC. Bet it finds 20 or more pieces of spyware
running.

Also, make sure your antivirus and windows update schedules are not
conflicting with your game play times. If your antivirus and windows are
trying to download updates during your game play that will eat up bandwidth
too.

Dennis

!