Disabling XP start-up programs, How ? ? ?

Could anyone explain to me how to turnoff programs in XP that automatically
start when you boot the computer. Older versions of Windows allowed for this
in an easy way. I can find the list of programs that automatically start up
when XP boots, but there is no allowance to turn specific start-up programs
on-or-off....How does one do this with XP?

Thanks for the help and support

irzapper
02/12/05
7 answers Last reply
More about disabling start programs

    You identify each program and then go to preferences/options for the program
    and uncheck any box that relates to auto starting..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    In news:01149603-3406-497E-BA23-9A35929E026B@microsoft.com,
    Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Could anyone explain to me how to turnoff programs in XP that
    > automatically start when you boot the computer. Older versions
    > of
    > Windows allowed for this in an easy way. I can find the list
    > of
    > programs that automatically start up when XP boots, but there
    > is no
    > allowance to turn specific start-up programs on-or-off....How
    > does
    > one do this with XP?

    On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
    Options to see if it has the choice not to start. Many can easily
    and best be stopped that way. If that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG
    from the Start | Run line, and on the Startup tab, uncheck the
    programs you don't want to start automatically.

    However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose
    of running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many
    people tell you, you should be concerned, not with how many of
    these programs you run, but which. Some of them can hurt
    performance severely, but others have no effect on performance.

    Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you
    should do is determine what each program is, what its value is to
    you, and what the cost in performance is of its running all the
    time. You can get more information about these with at
    http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html. If you can't find it
    there, try google searches and ask about specifics here.

    Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent
    informed decision about what you want to keep and what you want
    to get rid of.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Hi Robert,

    There are four main ways that a proggy would automatically run at windows
    startup...

    1: The program has a launch icon in your startup folder. Just click
    START>ALL PROGRAMS>STARTUP and see if there are any icons there.

    2: As somebody else has mentioned, the program that is starting up has a
    "Run at windows startup" option. Just open the program and uncheck this
    option from its preferences.

    3: The program has a run at startup registry entry. The easiest way to
    control these is to search for a proggy like "Startup.cpl" or "Startup
    Inspector".

    4: It's not really a proggy but a "Service". Click START>CONTROL
    PANEL>ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS>SERVICES to open the services list. Now be
    careful here, you don't want to turn off a service that windows depends on
    so you'll have to do some research. If you click on each entry you will get
    a description of what it does. You'll notice that each one is either
    "Disabled", "Automatic" or "Manual" and in addition that it has either
    started or hasn't. If you click the column title "Startup Type" the will
    sort by that status and the ones that you will be interested in are the ones
    that are "Automatic" AND "Started".

    Like I said, be careful though you could disable a service and think things
    are fine but at some time down the road you do something that needs that
    service and it will fail.

    Here's a quick example, I don't usually use a printer so I have "Print
    Spooler" disabled.

    Hope that helps

    Andy

    "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Could anyone explain to me how to turnoff programs in XP that
    > automatically
    > start when you boot the computer. Older versions of Windows allowed for
    > this
    > in an easy way. I can find the list of programs that automatically start
    > up
    > when XP boots, but there is no allowance to turn specific start-up
    > programs
    > on-or-off....How does one do this with XP?
    >
    > Thanks for the help and support
    >
    > irzapper
    > 02/12/05

    The same applies in msconfig - start-up.. the uninitiated will often stop
    stuff that really should be running.. in the past, taking things out of
    start-up was seen as a panacea that would make a computer faster.. that it
    does, but the fact that removing items does that only goes to show that the
    computer in question simply doesn't have the resources to run decently..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:57:46 -0500, Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:

    > The same applies in msconfig - start-up.. the uninitiated will often stop
    > stuff that really should be running.. in the past, taking things out of
    > start-up was seen as a panacea that would make a computer faster.. that it
    > does, but the fact that removing items does that only goes to show that the
    > computer in question simply doesn't have the resources to run decently..

    When running an operating system with limited resources (win9x), keeping an
    eye on startup items was a vital part of system maintenance. While it
    doesn't hurt to keep startup trimmed in XP (and doing so can still catch
    some malware that has been installed that a user wasn't aware of), it is
    not a critical mission. Seems to me that most of the people that ask this
    question have just made the jump from Win9x to XP. A case of "old habits
    die hard"?

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    .... and in some cases, don't die at all.. is this the first real instance of
    eternal life, albeit cyber life?..

    I remember the resource problem well, but it has to be said that a Win98
    setup running 64mb was more susceptible to crashing out that if it were
    sporting 512mb..

    I was a member of a 'computer club' where this old guy and others turned up
    every two weeks with problems.. and each time, he had run every demo program
    on every cover diskette, had a screen full of icons, some of which were
    programs installed to desktop.. add/remove was like the dragon infested land
    on the other side of the mountain as far as he was concerned.. he just
    deleted folders as he saw fit.. time and again, I told him to quit it until
    eventually, I was the one to quit.. I couldn't cope with all of the people
    there who would just not listen.. membership of the club increased
    dramatically when news of a friend and I running a clinic for the 'hard of
    hearing' :) spread, but as membership rose, my patience and that of my
    friend slowly dissipated..

    Long live the 'good old days'..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:57:46 -0500, Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    >
    >> The same applies in msconfig - start-up.. the uninitiated will often stop
    >> stuff that really should be running.. in the past, taking things out of
    >> start-up was seen as a panacea that would make a computer faster.. that
    >> it
    >> does, but the fact that removing items does that only goes to show that
    >> the
    >> computer in question simply doesn't have the resources to run decently..
    >
    > When running an operating system with limited resources (win9x), keeping
    > an
    > eye on startup items was a vital part of system maintenance. While it
    > doesn't hurt to keep startup trimmed in XP (and doing so can still catch
    > some malware that has been installed that a user wasn't aware of), it is
    > not a critical mission. Seems to me that most of the people that ask this
    > question have just made the jump from Win9x to XP. A case of "old habits
    > die hard"?
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Or use MSConfig.

    C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Binaries\msconfig.exe

    Start|Run
    Type msconfig
    <Enter>
    will execute it