Computer Rebooted on Shut down then PSU sparked

aaa123202

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
A few weeks ago, I went to go turn on my computer, and it wouldn't turn on. The fan would turn on sometimes, but not every time I tried to start it.

I figured it was the PSU, and got a new one, put it in, and it worked.
Til I went to turn it off, in which case, it rebooted itself. The first time, I thought I may have accidentally restarted the computer, so shut it down by simply holding the power button down.

Then it wouldn't turn on the next day.

So I got another PSU, and tried it. It worked for a few more days, but it kept rebooting itself and rebooting itself every time I tried to shut down. I found out by turning the power button on the PSU would turn it off.

But then a few days passed, and it sparked and smoked. And even after it had been dead for a few days, it sparked again randomly. So I tried another PSU.

Same deal. Kept rebooting itself, so I used the power button in the back, and I had been looking into solutions for the rebooting but none of them worked. And then I had the computer on, left it for a bit and suddenly it sparked and wouldn't turn back on.

I'm really unsure of what to do with it know, and I can't find any sources having my kind of problem. I can't access my computer specs currently, unfortunately, though, as I'm using someone else's computer.

And suggestions as to what might be causing it, since I really don't have any money to put towards getting it repaired as of now, would be greatly appreciated.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
After multiple PSU's, I'm going to hazard a guess that you did not get a bunch of bad PSU's back to back to back to back.....

So the question is, what's causing the PSU failures? (Make sure you are using PSU's with enough wattage for your equipment)

The intermittent response to the power button makes me suspect a problem there, but I don't think it would kill PSU's.

My fist suspect would be the motherboard. The problem is that you are killing PSU's at a very fast rate and you don't want to sacrifice a bunch more.

I would get another motherboard, and then only install/connect the bare essentials. I would test with the new motherboard, and the existing OS drive, integrated graphics (if that's an option), mouse, keyboard and monitor only.... first.

Then your internet connection.

Then any other internal drives. (add only one at a time)

Then your external drives. (add one at a time)

etc etc

When your brave PSU dies, zero in on the last component you added to the mix and kill it with fire. (Okay, don't get drastic. Just stop using it/replace it)