Sign in with
Your question

Windows xp radeon x800gt does not display after game starts

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 25, 2012 2:53:32 PM

Hello,
My video is fine running in Windows XP, everything looks normal and boots normal. As soon as I launch a game like Ghost Recon (original) I can see the main menu, select default graphics settings. Then select a mission, and the next screen I loose the background image, I can select continue then the screen image is black but I can see the on-screen heads up items, and gun sight, but no background image. I tried un-installing the video drivers and re-install. Also this is a fresh install of GR. I believe that other games will also go black after launching them. Any ideas? Do I just need to replace my Radeon X800GT card?
April 25, 2012 3:07:29 PM

Update video card driver. That may help.
April 25, 2012 3:47:51 PM

I have uninstalled the original drivers, and downloaded the latest from Radeon and still the same issue. Thanks for the quick reply.
Related resources
April 25, 2012 3:50:22 PM

Is this a new problem? Was it happening before?
April 25, 2012 3:50:46 PM

Did that game used to work properly and now doesn't? Or did it never work.

If it never worked its because that GPU is old. If it just stopped working it could be because that old GPU is dying.
April 25, 2012 4:08:42 PM

I just got this PC back from a friend who borrowed it for a while. He said that it used to work just fine, then just stopped working. I do realize that it is an old GPU and it is probably failing, and needs to be replaced. I might just gut it and put all new parts in it. I was just looking for any other suggestions for a possible fix. At this point it is just a spare PC for my kids. Have any of you tried the whole video card in the oven trick?
April 25, 2012 4:19:40 PM

Don't do the oven thing if you are gonna eat from the same oven.. The noxious fumes may give you cancer.
April 25, 2012 5:16:38 PM

Good to know, thanks!
April 27, 2012 3:22:14 AM

I just tested another game (Call of Duty) and that game plays fine, so why doesn't Ghost Recon play. Both are the original first versions of the games.
April 27, 2012 4:41:52 AM

Which version of call of duty? Try to lower in game setting for texture corruption. High video setting for this game in your video card is not supported i think.
May 4, 2012 3:51:30 AM

It is the original first version of Call of Duty, I don't think it had any other name. It is from about 9-10 years ago. Same thing with the Ghost Recon. I have tried setting all video options to the lowest in GR and it still won't work. Both games used to play just fine on all max video settings.
May 4, 2012 4:42:02 AM

Sunius said:
Don't do the oven thing if you are gonna eat from the same oven.. The noxious fumes may give you cancer.

Crap.....
!