Windows xp radeon x800gt does not display after game starts

AppleTechie

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Hello,
My video is fine running in Windows XP, everything looks normal and boots normal. As soon as I launch a game like Ghost Recon (original) I can see the main menu, select default graphics settings. Then select a mission, and the next screen I loose the background image, I can select continue then the screen image is black but I can see the on-screen heads up items, and gun sight, but no background image. I tried un-installing the video drivers and re-install. Also this is a fresh install of GR. I believe that other games will also go black after launching them. Any ideas? Do I just need to replace my Radeon X800GT card?

AppleTechie

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I just got this PC back from a friend who borrowed it for a while. He said that it used to work just fine, then just stopped working. I do realize that it is an old GPU and it is probably failing, and needs to be replaced. I might just gut it and put all new parts in it. I was just looking for any other suggestions for a possible fix. At this point it is just a spare PC for my kids. Have any of you tried the whole video card in the oven trick?

AppleTechie

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
It is the original first version of Call of Duty, I don't think it had any other name. It is from about 9-10 years ago. Same thing with the Ghost Recon. I have tried setting all video options to the lowest in GR and it still won't work. Both games used to play just fine on all max video settings.