Gpu and how it effects resolution

tinhajj

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
I play games on a 1280x720 monitor. What does that mean for my fps? Does having a small resolution put less stress on mainly the gpu or cpu?

I also have a 2nd monitor thats at 1280x1024 I think that I'd like to use as a dual monitor setup with my 1280x720.

So thats a 1280x720 with a 1280x1024. Lets say I have bf3 on the 1280x720 screen and just a still image on the 1280x1024. Does having the monitor with the still image stress my computer in anyway greatly?

Sorry if im asking googlable questions but I trust the answers I get here more

thanks for any help u can provide

Games use BOTH the CPU and the Graphics Card.

Most gamers find they are bottlenecked at the graphics card. A modern $200 CPU might only use 25% of its capabilities when paired with a $200 graphics card.

If you are building a new gaming system then there's an optimal value. A $500 CPU with a $100 graphics card is a poorly balanced gaming system.

If you are simply upgrading then an older system then we'd have to know your systems specs (CPU, power supply, RAM, 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?)

If you want more advice be a little more specific as to your budget and plans.

tinhajj

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Ok I kinda see what you guys are saying, but I don't fully understand. So I'll do what you guys said and through out some information. I'm planning on spending 600 Dollars on just a tower and everything inside so case would cost some money, but no monitor and stuff etc. Yeah and the resolutions hold the same. It's a 1280x720 monitor with a 1240x1024 monitor with just a still image on it.

side note: I also have some stuff from my old pc that I could possibly salvage? I'm not sure but maybe I could use the 4 gb of memory I have now in the new pc? that'd be a mobo with 4 slots i guess. it'd be nice if i could somehow fit in 8gb of memory into the pc without messing up any of the other parts too much in the decision making process. I was kinda planning on using it for gaming and running a lot of processes in the background that take up memory. if the 8 gb of ram would sacrifice too much then you can let me know that

thanks for any help u guys can provide rly appreciate it

tinhajj

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010

pretty sure its ddr2 so thats good to know

I do have a 120 gb hard drive, an optical drive i hardly ever use, ive got some power supply cables but the one i use right now is the antec 380w i think thats 80 plus certified

also i heard something about putting the operating system on a dedicated hard drive makes it boot up faster or something like that. So I could possibly install my operating system on the 120 gb hard drive and have the 500 gb for storage?

ty again

There are disks that are called SSDs. They are expensive for each GB, but they are very fast. They are used as dedicated disks for OS, so it runs way faster. However, dedicating normal hard drive won't have the same effect. What's your budget for whole system? Can you salvage the case? Where are you from?

tinhajj

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010

Im in the US on the east coast so I think anything from newegg would be perfectly fine.

I'm going to be buying a computer in august of this year though I think so stuff may change but if someone could show me what I could get now so I could understand some other stuff that would be very very helpful. (would prices change a lot in that time span where I could get a better computer?)

I've got 600 to spend. The case I have now is from a prebuilt computer and I'd rather buy a new case.

I've got:
2x 2gb ddr2 ram
radeon hd 4670
a 380w psu antec

I dont think i'll be able to salvage anything

any suggestions you could make would be super helpful.
I'd be nice if this computer im getting down the line could have 8 gb and the ability to handle a lot of processes going at once, but if that would compromise the build too much then thats fine.

i'd be using it for gaming
I'd also be using it on a 1280x720 monitor

thank you very very much for any help you can provide

I saw the ANTEC ONE on sale (NCIX?) for only $30 recently. Great little case.

No. You have nothing to salvage.

My advice is fairly simple:
1) go the NCIX CANADIAN website (ncix.com and click the Canada flag) as its well organized while you figure out which parts

2) get an HD6870 graphics card (on sale for as little as $130 after MIR)

3) 2x2GB 1600MHz DDR3

4) 1155 motherboard (Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte or MSI.)

5) Intel CPU. (play around with your budget. probably about $150?)

6) Power Supply (550 Watt should be sufficient. Look for sales. About $50-$70 on sale. Look at customer reviews though to make sure there aren't issues.)

*If you want a generated parts list I can do that but you should poke around first.

Don't forget that Windows 7 Premium 64-bit OEM is $100.