EA teams up with ESPN....

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

http://money.cnn.com/2005/01/17/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm

EA teams up with ESPN
Fifteen-year deal could mean the end of long-standing Madden football games.
January 17, 2005: 3:02 PM EST
Game Over is a weekly column by Chris Morris

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Television's leading sports network and the leading
maker of sports video games have signed a long-term deal that could signal
the end of an era.

ESPN and Electronic Arts today announced a 15-year partnership, giving EA
access to ESPN's broadcast, print and online contnet - as well as its stable
of personalities - for all of its sports titles. The integration of the two
brands will begin in 2006.

What that will mean for EA's long-standing Madden franchise remains unknown.
Madden is under contract with the game publisher through this year, but has
not signed beyond that. EA said negotiations are continuing.

"John Madden is under contract for the 2005-206 season and we'll see where
it goes from there," said Larry Probst, CEO of Electronic Arts. "But let's
not forget that Madden is a part of the ESPN family with Monday Night
Football. ... It's possible we'll continue working with John longer term."

While the marketing relationship will likely be most visible in upcoming
football games, ESPN assets will appear in all of EA's sports lines,
including baseball, basketball, boxing, golf and racing. The two companies
are also planning to create new games based on ESPN content, such as the
network's popular X-Games.

"Nothing finalized," said John Skipper, executive vice president for
ESPN/Disney. "It's natural we'd think about things such as the X-games. We
certainly play a lot of poker on our air, so we're thinking about that.
We're also thinking about bass. We have the rights to the bass license."

(Probst, by the way, wasn't quite as excited as Skipper about a bass fishing
game, so don't get your virtual rod and reel out yet.)

The deal is the latest in a series of sports coups for EA. In December, the
company clinched an exclusive licensing deal with the NFL and NFL Players
Association. Under the terms of that deal, no other publisher can develop or
publish a video game (for any system) featuring NFL teams, players, stadiums
or footage for the next five years. Last week, the company struck a similar
deal with the Arena Football League.

ESPN, ironically, was EA's chief competitor in the football space (by far
the most popular - and profitable - sports video games). The company had
previously teamed with Sega, Take Two Interactive and developer Visual
Concepts to create its own brand. Spurred by bargain pricing, "ESPN NFL 2K5"
proved to be a formidable threat, cutting into EA's sales and attracting a
wide audience.

With EA securing the NFL rights, though, the network said an alignment made
sense. While the two companies have talked off and on about a partnership
several times in the past, the heart of this deal was done after EA won the
NFL rights.

"We were very happy with our relations with Sega," said Skipper. "However,
if you think about who you want to be working with for the long term ... EA
is the natural choice for us to be associated with."

Sports games make up roughly one-third of EA's annual revenues (which were
$3.2 billion last fiscal year). While Probst would not say whether
additional deals were in the works, he did say "anything we can do to
solidify and make [our sports franchises] stronger, we're open to those
strategic alternatives."

EA and John Madden have teamed up for football video games for the past 15
years and have become almost pseudonymous. However, speculation about
whether EA would maintain the current relationship began soon after it
announced the NFL deal. With the league license secured, the publisher may
be reexamining ways to lower its development costs.

Despite the strength of the ESPN brand, EA (Research) does not plan to use
the network's name in its game titles as it has with Madden. Should the
company's relationship with Madden change, the games will likely be branded
simply "EA Sports Football".

The loss of ESPN is a significant blow to Take Two (Research), which had
been hoping to diversify its product line with sports games. While its
relationship with Sega and Visual Concepts still stands, the companies no
longer have a well-known hook with which to attract customers.

The companies have not announced specific plans for the sports market since
the EA-NFL announcement, but Probst said he thinks it's unwise to assume EA
will not have competition in some form.

"I think there's plenty of room for competition," said Probst. "At the end
of the day its who can build the highest quality products. There's plenty of
room for other third party companies - and console first-party companies -
to do that. Just because EA Sports and ESPN are partnering I don't think
people are going to run for the hills and not compete with us."

begin 666 bug.gif
M1TE&.#EA!P`'`)$````T90``,V9FS ```"'Y! ``````+ `````'``<```(-
/E!\"N\FMGI.1A8MO`0`[
`
end

Diablo Del Toro wrote:
> [...]
> simply "EA Sports Football".
>
> The loss of ESPN is a significant blow to Take Two (Research), which had
> been hoping to diversify its product line with sports games. While its
> relationship with Sega and Visual Concepts still stands, the companies no
> longer have a well-known hook with which to attract customers.
>
> The companies have not announced specific plans for the sports market since
> the EA-NFL announcement, but Probst said he thinks it's unwise to assume EA
> will not have competition in some form.
>
> "I think there's plenty of room for competition," said Probst. "At the end
> of the day its who can build the highest quality products. There's plenty of
> room for other third party companies - and console first-party companies -
> to do that. Just because EA Sports and ESPN are partnering I don't think
> people are going to run for the hills and not compete with us."

I think several members of AGVX just died. LMAO

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

Skye, there are multitudes that don't care if it was by laughing you
did off yourself, just so long as the offing happened.

Enjoy your monopoly Skye, and next year's Madden consisting of bug
fixes, and rules and roster updates only.

- Richard Hutnik

In article <FyVGd.24373$7g5.8283@fe33.usenetserver.com>, dan@work.com says...

> [...]
>> been hoping to diversify its product line with sports games. While its
>> relationship with Sega and Visual Concepts still stands, the companies no
>> longer have a well-known hook with which to attract customers.
>>
>> The companies have not announced specific plans for the sports market since
>> the EA-NFL announcement, but Probst said he thinks it's unwise to assume EA
>> will not have competition in some form.
>>
>> "I think there's plenty of room for competition," said Probst. "At the end
>> of the day its who can build the highest quality products. There's plenty
of
>> room for other third party companies - and console first-party companies -
>> to do that. Just because EA Sports and ESPN are partnering I don't think
>> people are going to run for the hills and not compete with us."
>>

>I think several members of AGVX just died. LMAO

Along with about ten developers.

"Diablo Del Toro" <Diablodeltoro9000@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> been hoping to diversify its product line with sports games. While its
> relationship with Sega and Visual Concepts still stands, the companies no
> longer have a well-known hook with which to attract customers.
>
> The companies have not announced specific plans for the sports market
since
> the EA-NFL announcement, but Probst said he thinks it's unwise to assume
EA
> will not have competition in some form.
>
> "I think there's plenty of room for competition," said Probst. "At the end
> of the day its who can build the highest quality products. There's plenty
of
> room for other third party companies - and console first-party companies -
> to do that. Just because EA Sports and ESPN are partnering I don't think
> people are going to run for the hills and not compete with us."

Just wait til next week when EA announces it exclusive rights to the word
"ball."

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

In a related story, EA reportedly kicked sand in Sega's face and proceeded
to leave with Sega's girlfriend.

"Dan S" <dan@work.com> wrote in message

> I think several members of AGVX just died. LMAO

I died laughing. Does that count?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

Skye, I still had multiple choices when it came to football. I
actually own Madden this year, for reasons I posted (mostly the running
of the QB). I just don't like a monopoly, mmm'k? For hockey and
hoops, I have ESPN.

- Richard Hutnik

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

Next up, platinum super deluxe version MUST HAVE, of EA sports titles,
with extra junk in it, for around $80. How about like free online play
also, as opposed to charging for it? They start to charge for online
play and leagues. They can do that. Base price also jumping up $5 to
to $54.99. Management will crunch the numbers and try to maximize
profits. Want to play online NFL? Well now EA has a lock on NFL, so
they can charge monthly fee for the privilage, and then discontinue
support at end of season and force you to buy it again next year.

As for new features, consider bug fixes, graphic tweaks, and updated
rules and rosters. Perhaps a few more added features that maybe they
could implement cheaply, like showing your team's players in the
background of the menu. Also, perhaps the designers will come up with
a few more features they think are fun.
The game is maximizing profits here.

- Richard Hutnik

In article <_L_Gd.3423$Rs.1702@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com says...

>"Dan S" <dan@work.com> wrote in message
>

>> I think several members of AGVX just died. LMAO
>

> I died laughing. Does that count?

I will die laughing when EA releases its game next year at $70 and the year
after that when it comes in at $100.

<richardhutnik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Skye, there are multitudes that don't care if it was by laughing you
> did off yourself, just so long as the offing happened.
>
> Enjoy your monopoly Skye, and next year's Madden consisting of bug
> fixes, and rules and roster updates only.

I didn't realize Sega fixed the bugs and glitches in ESPN football.
Is it downloadable content fix or do I have to go to a gaming store to pick
up a cd or memory card with the fixes on it?

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
> In article <_L_Gd.3423$Rs.1702@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
> carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com says...
> >

> >"Dan S" <dan@work.com> wrote in message
> >

> >> I think several members of AGVX just died. LMAO
> >

> > I died laughing. Does that count?
> >

> I will die laughing when EA releases its game next year at $70 and the
year
> after that when it comes in at $100.

I will laugh my ass off to at the morons stupid enough to purchase it.
I am already extremely selective at purchasing games for $50 dollars, if
there is any truth to the rumors that software will go up in price? I will

"Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In a related story, EA reportedly kicked sand in Sega's face and proceeded
> to leave with Sega's girlfriend.

While slipping their hands down her their pants! ;-)

Dan S wrote:

> I think several members of AGVX just died.

Why's that?

--
A dope trailer is no place for a kitty!

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

<richardhutnik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Skye, there are multitudes that don't care if it was by laughing you
> did off yourself, just so long as the offing happened.
>
> Enjoy your monopoly Skye, and next year's Madden consisting of bug
> fixes, and rules and roster updates only.
>
> - Richard Hutnik

How come you weren't bitching when Sega had a monopoly over ESPN?
Boohooooooo

> Ever play or pay for Madden on the 3DO when it first came out? A very fun
> game
> but for the price they should have had Madden sitting next to you giving
> pointers.

What, exactly, is your point?? This doesn't refute anything I said in my
post or support what you said about EA bringing out a game at $70 and then
$100. Perhaps that's because you can't refute anything I said and your
opinion is completely unwarranted?

In article <RP_Hd.10559$ef6.8719@trnddc07>, cjmartin04@verizon.net says...

>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>
>> Ever play or pay for Madden on the 3DO when it first came out? A very fun
>> game
>> but for the price they should have had Madden sitting next to you giving
>> pointers.
>
> What, exactly, is your point?? This doesn't refute anything I said in my
>post or support what you said about EA bringing out a game at $70 and then
>$100. Perhaps that's because you can't refute anything I said and your
>opinion is completely unwarranted?

Just wait until next year chief.

> In article <RP_Hd.10559$ef6.8719@trnddc07>, cjmartin04@verizon.net says...
>>

>>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> Ever play or pay for Madden on the 3DO when it first came out? A very
>>> fun
>>> game
>>> but for the price they should have had Madden sitting next to you giving
>>> pointers.
>>
>> What, exactly, is your point?? This doesn't refute anything I said in
>> my
>>post or support what you said about EA bringing out a game at $70 and then
>>$100. Perhaps that's because you can't refute anything I said and your
>>opinion is completely unwarranted?
>>

> Just wait until next year chief.

LMAO.....Completely incapable of actually supporting your point, just as I
thought.

In article <3J%Hd.7661$CI6.6047@trnddc06>, cjmartin04@verizon.net says...

>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>> In article <RP_Hd.10559$ef6.8719@trnddc07>, cjmartin04@verizon.net says...
>>>

>>>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message

>>> What, exactly, is your point?? This doesn't refute anything I said in
>>> my
>>>post or support what you said about EA bringing out a game at $70 and then
>>>$100. Perhaps that's because you can't refute anything I said and your
>>>opinion is completely unwarranted?
>>>

>> Just wait until next year chief.
>
>LMAO.....Completely incapable of actually supporting your point, just as I
>thought.

LMAO.....my point will be made by EA next year. They wont spring the really
good price point until ESPN/Madden game comes out for the PS3 and Xbox 2. Then
it will be time to bend over and grab ankles.

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

It will be a couple years when everyone is settling down from all this
before they hang it in us. It will happen, they can charge anything they
like now, if you want to play nfl games you will have to pay. I also expect
a charge for online play as well. They have to make up for the 300m they
spent.
Brad
> In article <3J%Hd.7661$CI6.6047@trnddc06>, cjmartin04@verizon.net says...
> >

> >"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
> >> In article <RP_Hd.10559$ef6.8719@trnddc07>, cjmartin04@verizon.net
says...

> >> Just wait until next year chief.
> >
> >LMAO.....Completely incapable of actually supporting your point, just as
> >thought.
> >>

> LMAO.....my point will be made by EA next year. They wont spring the
really
> good price point until ESPN/Madden game comes out for the PS3 and Xbox 2.
Then
> it will be time to bend over and grab ankles.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message

> LMAO.....my point will be made by EA next year. They wont spring the
> really
> good price point until ESPN/Madden game comes out for the PS3 and Xbox 2.
> Then
> it will be time to bend over and grab ankles.

It's simply amazing, and truly sad, that people like you on this NG
believe things without any facts to support your beliefs and opinions. It's
quite obvious you don't have anything to support this opinion because you
don't even bother to take the time to rationally engage somebody that comes
at you with actual facts about how monopolies by EA in other sports for
years have not caused an increase in the price of non collector's edition
games beyond the price point set by the industry as a whole, in this case
$50, or resulted in costs for online play for the PS2 for extremely popular
titles like Madden which held a monopoly on the NFL for years before ESPN,
or College Football which is the only college football game or Tiger Woods,
which I believe is the only PGA game. You can't make a rational supported
argument about why you're right, all you can say to support your opinion is
"Just wait until next year chief." We're all supposed to just believe this
is going to occur out of nowhere with one big swoop because you "believe" it
will happen because of a couple deals that haven't really effectively
changed much in the sports gaming landscape as a whole. The only way you'd
have a point that this deal has changed things a whole lot is if ESPN
actually was really cutting into Madden's sales...and according to the
numbers it's not doing that at all this year. Madden IIRC, is still in the
combined Top 4 for XBox and PS2 sales this year behind Halo, GTA: SA and I
believe just ahead of the original Halo. ESPN isn't in the top 5, and
possibly not in the top 10 this year because it's unfortunately, the same
game as last year and consumers after it was out a while figured that out.
Any rational intelligent person can see right through your opinion for
what it is, simply an irrational opinion born of a extremely simplistic
"monopoly is bad and always results in higher prices...competition is always
good and always results in lower prices...therefore EA will raise prices as
much as they want without ESPN around" idea. How old are you, 15? I'd
expect this type of argument out of a high school student (and I apologize
in advance to any teenager reading this who actually understands how to and
can rationally argue an idea and that one needs facts to support an
opinion...and respects other people enough to not refer to them as "chief").
I'd hope an adult could do better and realize they should have actual
rational reasons for holding an opinion, but maybe a few people on this NG
are exceptions to that.
I know I'm not going to convince you that you're wrong to have this
opinion though, because people that hold irrational opinions and beliefs
cling onto them for dear life for fear of actually having to intelligently
examine what they believe and why they believe it.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

In article <Y72dnbjldN_S72zcRVn-uA@comcast.com>, bdarnell1966@comcast.net
says...

>It will be a couple years when everyone is settling down from all this
>before they hang it in us. It will happen, they can charge anything they
>like now, if you want to play nfl games you will have to pay. I also expect
>a charge for online play as well. They have to make up for the 300m they
>spent.
>Brad

Ding, Ding, Ding...We have a winner! Somebody else in this thread is living in
"EA LOOKS OUT FOR THE CONSUMER" land.

"Christopher Martin" <cjmartin04@verizon.net> wrote in message

> "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>
> > LMAO.....my point will be made by EA next year. They wont spring the
> > really
> > good price point until ESPN/Madden game comes out for the PS3 and Xbox
2.
> > Then
> > it will be time to bend over and grab ankles.
>
> It's simply amazing, and truly sad, that people like you on this NG
> believe things without any facts to support your beliefs and opinions.

Because dipshit sega fangirls like him fail to recognize that Madden's
competition wasn't the weakly marketed ESPN Football. It was Halo 2, Fable,
and every other software alternative gamers have.

Skye

In article <VljId.3442$cZ1.654@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com says...

>"Christopher Martin" <cjmartin04@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>> > LMAO.....my point will be made by EA next year. They wont spring the
>> > really
>> > good price point until ESPN/Madden game comes out for the PS3 and Xbox
>2.
>> > Then
>> > it will be time to bend over and grab ankles.
>>
>> It's simply amazing, and truly sad, that people like you on this NG
>> believe things without any facts to support your beliefs and opinions.
>
> Because dipshit sega fangirls like him fail to recognize that Madden's
>competition wasn't the weakly marketed ESPN Football. It was Halo 2, Fable,
>and every other software alternative gamers have.
>
>Skye

ESPN outsold Madden on the Xbox and almost outsold it on the PS2. EA realized
this and thats why they bought off the NFL. I guess being a EA cum guzzler
clouds your vision on this. Oh and who is stalking who? I guess your my bitch
now.

TRENDING THREADS