Need help finding new pieces for gaming rig

Ok guys, here we go, tried 4chan's /g/ board (twice), was barraged with >AMD, >gaymen, >not getting intel in 2012... (i go on 4chan all the time, but don't see many threads about AMD so I figured they were fine with it. But, enough with that, I'm building a gaming rig right? So below is my rig, I'm unsure of the CPU, GPU, and HDD. Tell me what FX series chip i would need, and a better gpu please, counting on you guys :D :D :D

Rig: http://images.4chan.org/g/src/1340166506733.png
14 answers Last reply
More about need finding pieces gaming
  1. Everything looks pretty good to me, although I'm not seeing a motherboard there. The only thing I would change is the GPU. Either a 6950/70 or 7850 for AMD or a GTX 560 Ti or GTX 570 from Nvidia.

What motherboard were you thinking about?
  2. Oh, sorry I forgot to tell you I already had the case and mobo, they are a Raidmax Blade that i got for a steal, and an ASRock 970 Extreme3
  3. ReDPheenix said:
    Ok guys, here we go, tried 4chan's /g/ board (twice), was barraged with >AMD, >gaymen, >not getting intel in 2012... (i go on 4chan all the time, but don't see many threads about AMD so I figured they were fine with it. But, enough with that, I'm building a gaming rig right? So below is my rig, I'm unsure of the CPU, GPU, and HDD. Tell me what FX series chip i would need, and a better gpu please, counting on you guys :D :D :D

Rig: http://images.4chan.org/g/src/1340166506733.png

How come I can't see the link? I wanted to see your rig tho ;)
  4. T-Raw said:
    How come I can't see the link? I wanted to see your rig tho ;)

well it isnt a solid thing yet, most of its still virtual, :na: i do have the mobo and case listed above and what do you mean cant see the link?
  5. You should be good to go then. Just think about upgrading the GPU, like I said. For 1080p gaming on Ultra/Highest settings, the 6870 will struggle some.

Also, think about getting a Hyper 212 Evo (if it will fit in the case) to OC with the 8150.
  6. Are there any alternatives to the FX-8150? I mean it is originally a budget build, what is the cheapest CPU and GPU combo could I max BF3, for example, on?
  7. Quote:
    well it isnt a solid thing yet, most of its still virtual, :na: i do have the mobo and case listed above and what do you mean cant see the link?

It only shows 4chan on me :o
  8. T-Raw said:
    It only shows 4chan on me :o
    uh.. click the link? it IS a 4chan link, but I posted the build on 4chan, and it IS an image board
  9. ReDPheenix said:
    Are there any alternatives to the FX-8150? I mean it is originally a budget build, what is the cheapest CPU and GPU combo could I max BF3, for example, on?

You could get away with a FX-4170 for purely gaming purposes, but it's either that or a 8120/50, if you want a FX CPU. Otherwise, my recommendation is a Phenom II X4 965 BE and OC it if needed.

The 965 BE and 8120/50 will be the best for everyday non-gaming use.

Obviously, a 2500K/3570K would be better than any of those, but that's not exactly budget friendly, I know, lol, and you already have the motherboard anyway.

For 1080p gaming on BF3, the 6870 will "do", but I don't think you would be very happy.
  10. DJDeCiBeL said:
    You could get away with a FX-4170 for purely gaming purposes, but it's either that or a 8120/50, if you want a FX CPU. Otherwise, my recommendation is a Phenom II X4 965 BE and OC it if needed.

The 965 BE and 8120/50 will be the best for everyday non-gaming use.

Obviously, a 2500K/3570K would be better than any of those, but that's not exactly budget friendly, I know, lol, and you already have the motherboard anyway.

For 1080p gaming on BF3, the 6870 will "do", but I don't think you would be very happy.

So, I'm stuck between getting an FX-6000 series (what would you recommend there?) or an FX-8120 and OC'ing it. (I'll return to you on the GPU decision in a bit.)
  11. ReDPheenix said:
    So, I'm stuck between getting an FX-6000 series (what would you recommend there?) or an FX-8120 and OC'ing it. (I'll return to you on the GPU decision in a bit.)

I DO NOT recommend a FX-6xxx. Like I said, if you want an FX CPU, either get a 4170 or 8120/50. The 6xxx is basically the red headed step-child of the bunch.

My actual recommendation for a low cost option is the 965 BE.
  12. You got it. Finally decided on getting the FX-8120 and the Radeon HD 6950, thanks alot mate!
  13. ReDPheenix said:
    You got it. Finally decided on getting the FX-8120 and the Radeon HD 6950, thanks alot mate!

That'll work and you're welcome. :)
  14. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming AMD Systems