Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Questions about new build (Need some advice)

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 4:14:23 AM

Hi guys, I have quite a long post here, but I'm in need of help. I am building a new / upgrading my current PC. I will mostly be using this to play World of Warcraft, Watch movies, and other general use. Now here's where I come to a dilemma, I have a budget of £300 ($480). For a CPU, Motherboard, RAM and/OR if I can afford it, a graphics card too.

My current specs are -

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0GHz
ASUS P5Q DELUXE (LGA 775 Socket) Motherboard
4GB DDR2 OCZ Gold Edition (I think it's at 1333MHz, I'm not entirely sure)
HIS Radeon 4870 512MB GDDR5

Now, here's where the problem begins. I don't know what new build to make or if I should upgrade my current build. The build I have at the moment is getting outdated, DDR2 is old, no one uses that anymore, and LGA Socket 775 processors are harder to come by, mostly all e-bay links on Google. Do I keep the same build but maybe buy like an ATI 7850 and put it in? or would I be better off keeping my current graphics card (with the intention of upgrading at christmas) and building this -

AMD Phenom II X4 965
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
ASRock 970 Extreme 3 Motherboard
HIS Radeon 4870 512MB GDDR5 (Current graphics card)

I heard that an i3 would have little to no MAJOR improvements over my current E8400, but I also heard the Phenom II X4 will have a slight improvement, but not much when you consider the fact it's a quad core cpu over a dual core, **** I'm just getting so frustrated and stressed out.

Bearing in mind guys I'm on quite a tight budget, I can't stress that enough. There's no leeway to get an i5 2500K, it's just out of the question, I'm a 20 year old college student who rarely gets money to do things with, so, yeah, lol.

Any advice guys? It would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

More about : questions build advice

a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 4:27:24 AM

get a phemon x 4 965 get a cheap better gpu
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 4:35:29 AM

Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't really help me out very much. According to anandtech the 965 BE isn't much of an improvement over my current, older dual core. I can't justify paying money to see little to no improvement over what I've already got, that's basically wasting money.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 8:15:12 AM

If your current PC does everything you usually do without issues, then there's not much point spending money on it.

If it were me, I'd probably keep saving and start afresh with Haswell whenever it appears, rather than spend a middle ground amount of cash for minimal gains. Your current system is getting on a bit, but it's actually pretty good if you compare it to budget components right now, which is all you are likely to get for £300.

One option that you do have is that GPUs are more or less compatible with most systems (assuming your PSU has enough power and connectors), so you could always start a new build now by buying a graphics card which can be transferred into a new build later. It should give you a decent boost without wasting any money.

Hope that helps
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 8:49:46 AM

What about i5 3450? That's ~£140, plus £100 for the motherboard (assuming you want something SLI, otherwise could be £70), plus £25 for 8GB DDR3. Alternatively, Rammy makes a good point. Plenty of room for improvement on either the platform side or the graphics side, so do one now and save the other until later. The 4870 is still a decent card, unfortunate it's only 512MB though. You're right that the X4 965 won't be a major improvement, though even the lowest i3 actually outperforms it consistently in all games.

Don't rely too much on Anandtech's numbers - Anandtech is a great site (lal Shimpi is an absolute genius, gives really good explanations of new technologies) but their testing methodology is poor - they mix up numbers from different tests, using different driver versions and even different components in the rest of the system. I completely lost faith in their numbers after I saw a GTX470 outperforming a GTX480 (due to them recycling old numbers from a different test on the GTX480).
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 8:55:16 AM

Also, keep in mind that the two sides of the system shouldn't be considered in isolation - you can't just say that a platform upgrade will add x% framerates on average for £y and a graphics card upgrade will add z% average framerates for whatever. If you installed a high end card now, its performance would be constrained by the platform. Though a new card will be a huge benefit, the rest of your system should be updated to get the most out of it. Like Rammy said, no need to do that all at once if money is tight, but you'll definitely benefit from doing it all at some point. Graphicswise, the GTX660 (at ~£160) is an absolutely exceptional card for the performance. Hard to recommend anything higher, since significantly faster cards would cost a LOT more.
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 9:21:18 AM

At risk of being pretty self indulgent, a couple of months ago I went for the exact items sam recommends on a ~£500 build (i5 3450 and GTX660) as they seemed like the sweet spot for a games/do all my other crap build. 3450 is the cheapest i5 I could find, and it's nearly as good as any other i5 before ridiculous overclocking, definitely worth considering. GTX660 was a practical decision as its smaller and uses less power than a lot of it's contemporaries and only needs 1 PCIe connector as a result.

I was actually in a similar position in that my old PC had been good value at the time and my Q6600 and 8800GT still aren't horribly rubbish (still using them as a second PC). Upgrading made little-no sense, so I held out until my budget could stretch to a new build.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is your monitor. If your monitor is capped at a lower resolution then your 512Mb graphics card won't be struggling as much as you might think. No point spending a load on a new graphics card if your running at 1280*720 etc.
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 9:30:01 AM

Your old C2D has some legs left, you have enough RAM to game as long as you don't want 133 browser windows open at the same time.

The Phenom II would give an improvement especially if overclocked but it would be hobbled by your old GPU meaning really any CPU only upgrade is pretty pointless.

Otherside of the coin is that any GPU upgrade using that entire budget will get hobbled by the older CPU!

Personally I would get a midrange current Graphics card

http://www.cclonline.com/product/88749/NE5X66001049-106...
Something like that

Now your C2D may bottleneck that slightly but so what its going to be a large improvement.

Also

You can pocket that £130 and save up a while once you manage about £220-ish get a new AMD FX4300 and a AM3+ board + some DDR3, toss in your still good modern GPU and bingo happy days.
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 9:32:02 AM

Rammy said:
I was actually in a similar position in that my old PC had been good value at the time and my Q6600 and 8800GT still aren't horribly rubbish (still using them as a second PC). Upgrading made little-no sense, so I held out until my budget could stretch to a new build.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is your monitor. If your monitor is capped at a lower resolution then your 512Mb graphics card won't be struggling as much as you might think. No point spending a load on a new graphics card if your running at 1280*720 etc.

Funnily enough, my old system was a Q6600 and 8800GTX :-) The card continued to impress right until the end (when it just totally died), always delivering strong performance at settings I didn't think it would be able to handle.

It's a good point about monitors, and if you are using an old 4:3 19"er or something, it's certainly worth considering an upgrade to a 23-24" 1080p IPS display when you have a more powerful system.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 12:57:55 PM

Thanks guys, what if I could stretch my budget and get an i5 2400? would that be a big improvement, and if I could, get like an HD 7770 or something? thanks.
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 1:08:00 PM

AMD FX-6300 3.50GHz (4.10GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 6-Core Processor
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Processors+-+...

Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AMD 970A (Socket AM3+) DDR3 PCI-Express ATX Motherboard
http://www.cclonline.com/product/77029/GA-970A-DS3/Moth...

Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 LP Vengeance Memory 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Two Module Kit
http://www.cclonline.com/product/61774/CML8GX3M2A1600C9...

Palit GeForce GTX 660 Graphics Card 2GB GDDR5
http://www.cclonline.com/product/88749/NE5X66001049-106...

Total £350

That would be a pretty solid upgrade on what you have without utterly kicking the bottom out of your budget. The new FX series there shows decent promise in tests (it released yesterday).

Games are largely limited by your graphics card so upgrading to Intel is only worthwhile if you get a good GPU this build here is going to game better than a i5 2400 with a 7770
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 1:09:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys, what if I could stretch my budget and get an i5 2400? would that be a big improvement, and if I could, get like an HD 7770 or something? thanks.

That's a brilliant CPU (my brother uses one) but pricewise and speedwise, it's not any different from the i5 3450. So equally good options really, but I'd personally be inclined to go for the newest! Also, for a strong cheaper card, the GTX650 Ti is really nice - faster than the 7770 and you can get a 2GB one for ~£125. Alternatively the GTX560 - near enough identical performance and there's also a 2GB for ~£125 (I think it was on scan.co.uk).
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 1:17:53 PM

I should probably add though that the ~£35 you'd save compared to a GTX660 is definitely not worth the performance you'd lose!
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 1:18:27 PM

I wouldn't bother buying a 7770 when it's a minor upgrade over your current card.

If it were up to me I'd either get a new motherboard/cpu/ram combo and use your current graphics until you can afford something suitable OR buy a new graphics card and save for the rest instead. Either way you get a short term boost without having to spend money on minor upgrades that won't last more than a year or two.

Also my previous point remains, if you are using an old monitor (and plan on continuing with it) then a lot of current cards are overkill because your resolution will limit the card you need.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 1:23:54 PM

The monitor I use is actually my TV, it's able to do HDMI and I think the resolution it runs on is (hold on a sec) 1360x768. I'm seriously considering just updating the graphics card now and seeing how much money I have left to see what I could do with it.
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 1:41:02 PM

We're likely to head off into the realm of total speculation now, but I doubt that resolution is troubling your current card much. It'll depend on the game, and on how well the rest of your PC is holding up, but I'd assume you're still getting decent FPS. Even current budget cards are capable of 1080P as long as you don't expect to have every single setting maxxed out.
As silly as it might sound, your best upgrade at this point might be a new monitor.

Something to think about anyway.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 1:47:45 PM

Seriously? a new monitor, oh lordy. I'm getting to the stage now where I can't even decide what I want to do anymore. I might not even upgrade at all to be honest, I can't see much of a point at the moment.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 1:50:19 PM

I'm just going to upgrade to a 7850 atm, and see what options I have when I buy that. Who knows, I may even just opt for a monitor at the moment and the graphics card.
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 2:00:49 PM

Quote:
I'm just going to upgrade to a 7850 atm, and see what options I have when I buy that. Who knows, I may even just opt for a monitor at the moment and the graphics card.

If you go down that route, I'd strongly recommend a 2GB model. The price difference is very little and although 1GB is sufficient for most current games at 1080p or below, I'm assuming you'll want some future-proofing for future games?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 2:02:08 PM

Not really, I only play a few games, World of Warcraft, CoD2, CoD4... and that's about it, lol.
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 2:03:42 PM

Quote:
Not really, I only play a few games, World of Warcraft, CoD2, CoD4... and that's about it, lol.

Fair enough, but it's a lot of money to spend just for three non-demanding games :-)
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 2:04:55 PM

Okay, so I shouldn't upgrade anything about my pc at the moment then? there's no point? or... *** sake lmao, I'm going to end up just throwing my PC out the window.
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 2:07:43 PM

Quote:
Okay, so I shouldn't upgrade anything about my pc at the moment then? there's no point? or... *** sake lmao, I'm going to end up just throwing my PC out the window.

Haha don't do that - that will be expensive! It's tricky I know having so many options to choose from. When you make that degree start paying for itself, you can just buy whatever you want and get top-notch everything. Meantime, I'd put that money on Domino's if you're not going to get your money's worth out of an upgrade. Are WoW and MW actually underperforming?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 2:11:33 PM

Not really tbh, I can't play on Ultra WoW settings and get 60 FPS constantly, but I can get no lag whatsoever and it is more than just "playable". I don't really know what to do anymore to be honest. My sister has already bought me a new modular PSU and my mum has bought me a new case (It's my birthday next Monday) so... ***, lol.
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 2:15:58 PM

Quote:
Not really tbh, I can't play on Ultra WoW settings and get 60 FPS constantly, but I can get no lag whatsoever and it is more than just "playable". I don't really know what to do anymore to be honest. My sister has already bought me a new modular PSU and my mum has bought me a new case (It's my birthday next Monday) so... ***, lol.

Haha wow, you have a technologically advanced family! If my Mum bought me computer components... well, I'd be surprised. You can obviously make good use of the case regardless. As for the PSU, was she expecting you to buy some high power-consumption stuff to make use of it then?

A lot of this stuff really is more about wanting it than needing it. I wanted my current setup when my old setup was still amply capable of running everything fast and on high settings. When the card in that machine died, I was actually pleased because I could justify to myself the cost of a new system! Difference is I'm actually playing a lot of new games, so I do make use of the hardware... but still, if you have the money and you want to do it, just go for it :-) You're hardly going to look back on this when you're 80 and wish you'd saved that money.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 2:27:01 PM

Yeah, I told her I was building a new PC and she went out and bought me a new PSU, which is nice really. It's only after my mum bought me a case and sister bought me a PSU that I found out what I was wanting to build for within my budget wouldn't really do much over what I've already got. I suppose I'll just wait and see how much money I get and if I get enough, I'll upgrade, if I don't, I'll upgrade the graphics card. :) 
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 2:30:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I told her I was building a new PC and she went out and bought me a new PSU, which is nice really. It's only after my mum bought me a case and sister bought me a PSU that I found out what I was wanting to build for within my budget wouldn't really do much over what I've already got. I suppose I'll just wait and see how much money I get and if I get enough, I'll upgrade, if I don't, I'll upgrade the graphics card. :) 

Sounds like a plan. There's no reason why you couldn't use the PSU and case with the components you have for a while longer and get a bigger upgrade at a later date (maybe at a stage when you're playing games that actually need it!). I've always been a believer in using what you have until it's not doing the job properly any more. Obviously the longer you hold out, the better the hardware will be when you finally buy it. A modern graphics card will be a good purchase anyway and should last you a good while!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 2:31:58 PM

Yeah, seems okay. So, now we're on to the question of which graphics card? (THIS IS FUN -.-) What would you suggest Sam? GTX 660?
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 2:35:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah, seems okay. So, now we're on to the question of which graphics card? (THIS IS FUN -.-) What would you suggest Sam? GTX 660?

Haha well it beats actually doing work right? And you hit the nail on the head there - it's a brilliant card and I'd buy one myself if my existing card wasn't already more powerful. The added cost of a 7870 isn't really justified (and the GTX660 Ti certainly isn't). GTX660 is one of those really excellent price/performance balance cards and should serve you very well for a good while.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 2:36:28 PM

Okay then I believe we have sorted this out. I'll get a GTX 660 and just keep what I've got at the moment :) 
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 2:38:20 PM

Quote:
Okay then I believe we have sorted this out. I'll get a GTX 660 and just keep what I've got at the moment :) 

It will also make use of that new PSU! Not that it's particularly power-hungry (130-140w TDP I think) but still... anyway, good luck with it and hope you enjoy your purchase :-)
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 2:39:42 PM

I went with my build for my budget and can say I'm extremely happy.

Infact I think my graphics card is bottlenecking my CPU lol
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 2:40:06 PM

Thanks Sam, so before I go and buy it, I will see a big upgrade over my ATI 4870? even if I keep the same components :) ?
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 2:46:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks Sam, so before I go and buy it, I will see a big upgrade over my ATI 4870? even if I keep the same components :) ?

Pleasure, and it's hard to say I'm afraid - as people have mentioned, there is the possibility of your new card being held back my an older platform, and it's not a processor that you'd ever find a GTX660 benchmarked on. On a new CPU, you would get a huge performance benefit, but an older CPU may reduce the gain.

Obviously that extra muscle will be there though for when you buy a new CPU in the future, and then the CPU purchase will also make things feel a lot faster. Only other thing to mention is the fact that since you're already getting high framerates, you wouldn't really perceive the difference unless you turn up the settings so that your current hardware becomes slow and laggy. Even if you went from 50fps now to 750fps with the new card, it would look the same. And of course v-sync will cap you at 60fps anyway to reduce tearing.

Comes back to the want/need thing I'm afraid - you'll need to push your system a bit more to really benefit from the upgrade!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 2:56:25 PM

Right, I've came up with an idea Sam, tell me if this is good.

2nd Generation Intel® Core? i5 2400 3.10GHz Socket LGA1155 - Retail.

ASUS P8H61-MX R2.0 Intel H61 (Socket 1155) Motherboard

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

Keep my 4870 (since we've already established I don't need to upgrade my card right now) so I could just upgrade at christmas? :) 

a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 2:57:48 PM

thts a good pick
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 2:59:04 PM

Quote:
Right, I've came up with an idea Sam, tell me if this is good.

2nd Generation Intel® Core? i5 2400 3.10GHz Socket LGA1155 - Retail.

ASUS P8H61-MX R2.0 Intel H61 (Socket 1155) Motherboard

Keep my 4870 (since we've already established I don't need to upgrade my card right now) so I could just upgrade at christmas? :) 

This also looks like a good way of moving forward :-) If it was me, I think I'd upgrade platform first and graphics later, since platform will constrain a high-end card, but a 4870 isn't going to constrain your CPU. So only thing to point out there is the mobo chipset - I'm not sure about H61. Typically you'd pair that CPU with a P67 or Z68 board (or Z77 if you prefer). Wikipedia (or probably Intel's site) could outline the differences on these chipsets.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 3:06:05 PM

Okay, *** it, I'll find a suitable motherboard and go for that for now and upgrade my graphics card at christmas. It will work out better in the long run. :) 
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 3:10:18 PM

Quote:
Okay, *** it, I'll find a suitable motherboard and go for that for now and upgrade my graphics card at christmas. It will work out better in the long run. :) 

Sounds good. Just stick with those three chipsets and make sure you've got at least two expansion slots separating your PCI-E slots if you want SLI upgradability for the future. By the way, where are you looking for prices? I'd recommend scan.co.uk, dabs.com, aria.co.uk, ebuyer.com and novatech.co.uk.

Cheap Z77 here - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-z77a-g41-intel-z77-s...(x16)-d-sub-hdmi-atx

Or if you need a mini board - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-z77ma-g45-intel-z77-...

MSI are a brilliant board manufacturer by the way - my friend's parents are still running my old MSI GeForce 460MX and MSI motherboard from a decade ago!
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 3:12:03 PM

I'd keep the H61 you can't overclock that CPU so there is no point spending more on a Z68 and as it's 2nd gen putting it on a z77 would be extra pointless.
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 3:17:59 PM

sam_p_lay said:
Sounds good. Just stick with those three chipsets and make sure you've got at least two expansion slots separating your PCI-E slots if you want SLI upgradability for the future. By the way, where are you looking for prices? I'd recommend scan.co.uk, dabs.com, aria.co.uk, ebuyer.com and novatech.co.uk.

Cheap Z77 here - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-z77a-g41-intel-z77-s...(x16)-d-sub-hdmi-atx

Or if you need a mini board - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-z77ma-g45-intel-z77-...

MSI are a brilliant board manufacturer by the way - my friend's parents are still running my old MSI GeForce 460MX and MSI motherboard from a decade ago!

Also that board

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/09/10/msi_z77ag41_l...

Quote:
Conclusion

Dan's Thoughts:

The first thing I noticed when I pulled this thing out of the box is that it felt cheap. The lack of weight from having virtually nothing on the PCB surface is likely the cause of that feeling. Still there are few power phases, and few enthusiast features either. You have no cooling hardware to speak of and the UEFI lacks the necessary options for solid overclocking and even if they were there, the board just isn't built for it.

MSI seems to have tried to bring the Z77 chipset into a lower price point and I think it has utterly failed to do so. It would be one thing if the board was at least decent at stock speeds but it isn't. I had quite a few problems with this board during the time I used it. Among the fun features of the board is the inability to boot with any USB 2.0 or 3.0 device plugged into any USB ports besides the ones closest to the PS/2 mouse and keyboard ports. And even then only the USB keyboard and mouse didn't cause a problem in those ports. I'd get a B4 error code and a blinking cursor when any USB device was inadvertently left plugged in. Another problem I encountered is a no-POST condition which resulted from plugging a discreet graphics adapter into the primary PEG slot while the SATA hot plug feature was enabled. Kyle's notes detailed this problem and I wanted to verify it as our system configurations differ quite a bit and I was able to do so easily.

To make matters worse I couldn't get video out of the primary PEG slot at all with the GTX 580 reference card. A GeForce 9500GT worked fine, but the GTX 580 didn't. When I moved the GTX 580 to the bottom PEG slot I ran into clearance issues thanks to those vertical SATA ports. Those things simply suck. Other layout issues like the difficult placement of the CMOS battery placement are inexcusable even at this price point. The PCB surface is virtually empty. All they had to do was move it during the design phase.

I'm seriously disappointed in MSI. I've evaluated some of its budget offerings in the past and found those to be an incredible value for the money with enthusiast-like features and performance at a budget price point. This board is not one of those. It's cheap, it's quirky, and unpolished. I have no confidence in this board's ability to do anything over a protracted period of time and the quirks are inexcusable. It has minimal features yet those features do not necessarily work correctly. Amateur hour layout mistakes on such a simple board leave me scratching my head and asking, "Why?" I'd avoid this board at all costs even if that meant saving another week or two until my piggy bank would allow me to buy something better. The board may only be around $114 or so but trust me, you’re better off saving up for something else. You'll be glad you did.

a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 3:18:20 PM

wr6133 said:
I'd keep the H61 you can't overclock that CPU so there is no point spending more on a Z68 and as it's 2nd gen putting it on a z77 would be extra pointless.

This is poor advice if you want new USB 3 hardware to not be limited to USB 2 speeds. Also if you ever wanted to use RAID or an SSD in a future upgrade, H61 would seriously restrict the speed of modern SSDs (it only supports SATA2, not SATA3). If you're not bothered about that stuff though, that board will be fine.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 3:19:18 PM

Wow, a decade ago? Jesus, that is good. Erm, I'm on novatech, and I put together

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5 3470 3.20GHz

MSI Z77A-G41 Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) Motherboard

What you think, Sam? I'm about 90% wanting to do this now, lmao. :p 
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 3:22:02 PM

Quote:
Wow, a decade ago? Jesus, that is good. Erm, I'm on novatech, and I put together

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5 3470 3.20GHz

MSI Z77A-G41 Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) Motherboard

What you think, Sam? I'm about 90% wanting to do this now, lmao. :p 

Haha I know - really rock solid reliability! That looks like a good selection, but you should definitely check scan.co.uk et al first - Novatech are excellent but their prices are often beaten by Scan, eBuyer, Aria, etc. Though I think they still offer free delivery (as do eBuyer on orders over £50). Dabs delivery is £1 or just under, so near enough free.
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 3:23:56 PM

sam_p_lay said:
This is poor advice if you want new USB 3 hardware to not be limited to USB 2 speeds. Also if you ever wanted to use RAID or an SSD in a future upgrade, H61 would seriously restrict the speed of modern SSDs (it only supports SATA2, not SATA3). If you're not bothered about that stuff though, that board will be fine.

If you want those features you go H77 or B75 getting Z77 or Z68 for a locked CPU is tossing away cash not just that but the one you reccomended is literally rubbish

OP read the link to the review on that MSI board it's not something you want or even need

http://www.cclonline.com/product/78344/GA-B75-D3V/Mothe... thats all you need unless you get a K series unlocked CPU
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 3:28:16 PM

wr6133 said:
If you want those features you go H77 or B75 getting Z77 or Z68 for a locked CPU is tossing away cash not just that but the one you reccomended is literally rubbish

OP read the link to the review on that MSI board it's not something you want or even need

http://www.cclonline.com/product/78344/GA-B75-D3V/Mothe... thats all you need unless you get a K series unlocked CPU

I didn't recommend it - I grabbed a couple of links to the cheapest Z77 boards on scan.co.uk to illustrate that you can get cheap boards with decent chipsets. They are still dirt cheap, so hardly 'throwing away money'. Even if I was recommending that specific board (which I wasn't), that review highlights a bunch of problems, but the first few relate to overclocking (CPU is clock-locked) and the others will be resolved by a firmware update.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 3:29:26 PM

I'm going to go for that Gigabyte board, combined with the i5 and 8GB of 1600MHz, that comes to about £230, and depending on the money I get, I MAY be able to upgrade my graphics card to a 7850, but if not I'll be happy with the CPU, RAM and Motherboard. :) 
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 3:31:57 PM

Quote:
I'm going to go for that Gigabyte board, combined with the i5 and 8GB of 1600MHz, that comes to about £230, and depending on the money I get, I MAY be able to upgrade my graphics card to a 7850, but if not I'll be happy with the CPU, RAM and Motherboard. :) 

Good man - Gigabyte are excellent also (I'm using one at the moment). World of Warcraft is a game that takes good advantage of CPU performance gains by the way. If you have any problems setting it up, don't hesitate to PM me (and obviously start a thread anyway). Good luck with it :-)
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 3:34:33 PM

sam_p_lay said:
I didn't recommend it - I grabbed a couple of links to the cheapest Z77 boards on scan.co.uk to illustrate that you can get cheap boards with decent chipsets. They are still dirt cheap, so hardly 'throwing away money'. Even if I was recommending that specific board (which I wasn't), that review highlights a bunch of problems, but the first few relate to overclocking (CPU is clock-locked) and the others will be resolved by a firmware update.

Quote:
Cheap Z77 here - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi [...] b-hdmi-atx

Or if you need a mini board - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi [...] -micro-atx

You back pedal like a confused child, hint if you dont want to recommend something dont make posts that look like the one above. Also read the review properly the board is fundamentally crap even the layout is bad.

Quote:

Once you get a good Graphics card on that you will be cooking on gas at 1080p if you ever upgrade your display :) 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 3:35:24 PM

Yeah Sam, honestly I can't appreciate the help you've given me, and wr for finding me that Gigabyte board. Honestly, stress is gone lol, building a new PC is stressful ha :)  nah seriously though, thanks guys. I'll be sure to let you know how it's going with the new build Sam and I'll keep you updated if I have any problems or anything. :) 
!