Why such a delay on GTX 680's

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
I was wondering why there has been such a delay with the Kepler video cards? The first Keplers, the GTX 680 was offically released March 22nd. Since then there have pretty much been none in stock. Every once in awhile a few might come in stock but they sell out in a few hours. This whole thing seems like a disaster for Nvidia. First they release their video cards three months after AMD then once they finally release them they can't even keep them in stock. Meanwhile there are plenty of AMD high-end video cards in stock and they're selling just fine. So like I said why such a huge delay? We're going into May and there still aren't any decent supply of GTX 680's.

Solution
That's because they were released early and more stock was sent out. That's the reason the 680's pop up in small batches, chips aren't being made very fast.

Helltech

Distinguished
Well when they first came out (not anymore) they were cheaper and slightly powerful than AMDs offerings, making them by far the best choice for a high-end GPU, which in turn made them overly popular. Nvidia didn't stock enough to meet the demand.

Since then AMD has dropped their prices, so except the GTX 680s to get in stock and stay in stock more and more as the next few weeks progress.

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

I hope so I want to get atleast one but really I would like to do an SLI setup. I was wondering if Nvidia had was having trouble fabbing the new GPU's and thats why they can't keep them in stock.

drewgamer

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

And yet, when the 7970 was released the wasn't even a 680 for competition and the stock problem wasn't nearly as bad as this is.

My guess is Nvidia kept a lot of the GK104's to be used for the 690 which is rumored to release in the next few weeks. I can't think of any other reason, unless they rushed the launch that much and weren't really prepared for a full on release.

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
It sure doesn't seem like it. Looking at Newegg and Tiger Direct both have 7970's, 7950's and 7850's in stock. Nvidia had one model of an overclocked EVGA 680 in stock a few hours ago now it's out of stock again. They must get one GTX 680 in every few weeks, that's what it seems like.

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

O I didn't think of that. Did AMD have trouble with stock though? It seems like since they have been released they have always have had a steady stock of cards at most major sites.