Socialbeast

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Hi guys, looking to upgrade maybe a part or two in my rig, it's starting to feel 'mediocre'. I'll list specs and would appreciate it if someone could tell me what I should be looking to upgrade. (P.S. it's a gaming rig).

Specs:
HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3
PSU: Antec EA-650W
MB: ASUS M4A87TD EVO

Thanks in advanced :)

Solution
Get a GTX 660. Boom!

Also you should consider getting an SSD, though the GPU will give you more FPS. SSD will just decrease loading times.

Your CPU is probably fine for a couple of years yet.
Depends how much you want to spend... 1st target GPU, then consider an SSD to really speed up boot/load times..then increase your RAM...
Edit Actually not much wrong with GPU though the 560 would give a better performance for the same kind of money. An SSD would give you a better 'feel' about the machine...

Socialbeast

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Really? Most games I play I have to take down my graphic settings to medium to get stable frames. I'm mainly looking for stable frames at higher settings and faster loads.

Well, a lot depends on the type of games you play, Strategy games like Battlefield and Civilisation would be the better of a more powerful CPU, in particular Hyperthreading, for AMD that means the Bulldozer or FX series, which in your case would require a mobo upgrade. Generally the GPU is most important, and you'd be better doubling your RAM up to 8Gb (need 64bit Windows). An SSD will improve overall performance as access times to data is significantly reduced. If you can afford to upgrade your GPU the GTX 470 seems to have dropped in price, and has more CUDA cores than the 460/560...Then there's the GTX 650ti at around £130/$200 with double the CUDA cores...

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Get a GTX 660. Boom!

Also you should consider getting an SSD, though the GPU will give you more FPS. SSD will just decrease loading times.

Your CPU is probably fine for a couple of years yet.

Solution

Socialbeast

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Yeah I'm not looking to make major changes... so GPU seems to be the favored answer, followed by SSD after. So which GPU is the best upgrade for a decent price? I see GTX 650ti and GTX 660 mentioned... I'm pretty much looking to get butter frames if you know what I mean.

I'd agree with Ricky on this and Dodger except maybe the memory part. Unless you multi-task plenty of memory-intensive applications, you should be fine with 4GB. Then again, RAM is crazy cheap now. The GTX650 Ti and GTX660 you mentioned are both excellent options, but the GTX660 gives best bang-for-buck and will last a lot longer before you need your next upgrade.

Socialbeast

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
I will be heading down to my local store to see what they've got and check prices. Probably aiming for the 660 TI as well as jumping my memory to 8GB, thanks to everyone for all the help. :)