Sign in with
Your question

Why can't my PC boot and the CPU led is on?

Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2012 2:46:36 PM

I built this PC about 5 months ago and when i go to boot up, the fans spin and lights light up, but the CPU led is lit and there are no visuals on the screen. I reset BIOS using the jumper and battery but that didn't work. What could be wrong?

Specs: Windows 7, M5A99x EVO, Phenom X4, GTX 560, 8gb Patriot, 160gb WD, 850w Cooler Master

Any comments/suggestions/questions would be appreciated.

More about : boot cpu led

June 20, 2012 2:55:22 PM

Check that the GPU is turning on and that all it's connections are solid. Also check if the monitor is turning on, or if you have access to another monitor try to use it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2012 2:59:27 PM

2638798,1,1132450 said:
I built this PC about 5 months ago and when i go to boot up, the fans spin and lights light up, but the CPU led is lit and there are no visuals on the screen. I reset BIOS using the jumper and battery but that didn't work. What could be wrong?

Specs: Windows 7, M5A99x EVO, Phenom X4, GTX 560, 8gb Patriot, 160gb WD, 850w Cooler Master

I would start by bare boning the pc.undo the video card and power to the hard drives and cd-rom. it could be a part has failed and it shorted. causing the mb not to post.if you have another power supply i would plug in just the 24 and 4/8 pin power and see if the cpu light goes out. if it wont with another ps i see if some one had a test cpu that you could use.
m
l
Related resources
June 20, 2012 3:54:58 PM

I tried changing monitors and bare boning. I took it out of the case and used PSU, mobo, GPU, CPU, and memory. Still no boot. I also tried changing power plugs to see if i had a dead one but no fix.

Does anyone think they might know the problem? I'm wondering if the CPU is getting too much or too little power, but i have a great power supply, it's not some cheapo. Its a cooler master 850 watt w/ 80+ bronze. Only 5 months old.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2012 9:43:02 PM

check the output of the power supply if it fine...i would look int othe mb first then the cpu. only way to tell if it the cpu is if someone has one you can toss into the mb.
m
l
!