Cable Select or...?

G

http://www.storage.ibm.com/techsup/hddtech/d60gxp/d60gxpjum.htm

As seen here, there are a few jumper settings for the 60 GXP series.

My hard disk is currently not attached to anything else. Therefore, which would be more appropriate: the master or cable select settings?

Also, although my hard disk is new(less than 4 days old), I have been experiencing some crashes on Win 2K Pro(mainly Explorer, IE and a few other applications).It takes a few mins to access my cdrom drives(with the system hanging/freezing painfully).

I am usually working in Visual C++ 6.0, browsing the web or running FlashFxP when this happens.

Could this be caused by faulty system cables and/or faulty power cables?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Huijun2001 on 07/10/01 07:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Okay thanks.
Does anyone know what could be causing the problems with my hd?

G

Cable select is <font color=red><b>EVIL</b></font color=red>.

Set it up manually:

If there is only 1 drive on the controller, set it to single/master (row 1 of the illustrations in your link).

If there are two drives on the controller, set one to master/slave present (row 4), and the other to slave (row 2).

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

G

Are you sure this is a hard-drive problem? Is this a new, secondary drive on a previously working system. Or is this the only HD on the system with a fresh OS install, etc. If the latter, you've got lots of debugging to do before you assume its the HD.

If the former...

>My hard disk is currently not attached to anything else.

By this you mean there is no other device attached to the cable on this drive? Double check the jumpers according to my other post! Check the jumpers on the other devices also.

If you're sure the jumpers are ok, try re-seating the cables (power & data). Just unplug them, and plug them back in, making sure everything is fully inserted.

Still no dice. Try another cable.

You might try some disk utilities to test the drive also. In my experience, HD are the most likely components to arrive DOA or faulty. I once got 2 DOA Western Digitals in a row from BestBuy.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

G

Well my previous hd had some clicking noises so I removed it and put this hd in.
This hd is the only hd on this system and I just installed Win 2K Pro.

All rite, I will check the jumpers and get back to you.(you're referring to the settings for 16 head,rite?)

Thanks for your help!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Huijun2001 on 07/12/01 01:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

>This hd is the only hd on this system and I just installed
>Win 2K Pro.

Well, without other information, I wouldn't assume it's a hard drive problem yet. It's a brand new OS install, so any number of software things could be the problem. Of course, make sure the new drive is installed & jumpered properly, but I wouldn't bet on the drive being the problem just yet.

I'd start with making sure all your drivers are up to date, etc. I'm not really a Windows guy, so I'm probably not much help at this point.

Good luck

<i>The early bird gets the worm...
but the second mouse gets the cheese!</i>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Some other Info might be useful.
processor
motherboard type & brand
what drivers (if any) are installed
etc

i have some teething troubles with win2k and my system (including the 60gxp)
such as hard drive snarls, unable to defrag, corrupted hibernate mode.
eventually traced it back to a decided BAD set of Via 4in1 drivers (4.28)

"i love the smell of Overclocking in the morning!" Says my Hamster.

G

I just installed 98 se , 'cos some programming utilities which I need to use can't run on Win 2K Pro.

My motherboard is an Asus Pv34x.
Drivers installed are: Deskjet 720c, Creative Sound Blaster Live Value, Creative Geforce 2 GTS, Samsung Syncmaster 750s(moniter drivers).

About the via drivers, when exactly do you install them? After installing sound card drivers and graphic card drivers or...?

To NickM, sorry, where do I find these tools in Win 98 se, or are they available only in win 2k pro?

About the cdrom drives problem, I replaced the system cable and they are working fine now.

I will be going downtown to get a couple of power cables and hard disk cables to replace the current ones in case they are faulty. But, anyone knows how to install the power cables? Or can I just plug them over the existing cables?

Also, I recently discovered that sometimes my display would turn a corrupted right after it showed the Win 98 logo. This happened a few times too, in Win 2K Pro. I'm wondering if this might be caused by the present problems with my hard disk.

Thanks.
Angie<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Huijun2001 on 07/15/01 02:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Just wondering, did you have a possibility to troubleshoot an old HDD on proved working PC?
You suspect your hardware, the new HDD now. But it might be the IDE controller also, the motherboard generally, the power supply also. Are you sure your old HDD is bad?

How is your PC under Win98 now, are you still suffering from crashes?

About your motherboard drivers, they should be installed just after Win98 install, before any other program. But better read the installation CD Readme file, or motherboard manufacturer's site first.
Creative Sound Blaster might create some trouble (black screen, crashes) on VIA-based motherboard on Win98 untill you install it correctly.

To check/troubleshoot your HDD in Win98, start from Scandisk.
Download SiSoft Sandra, perform intensive tests.
Write down the exact error message, check the Microsoft knowledgeable database.

G

Well,previously, I sent my computer for repair and the technician tested it rather rigorously and all my parts except for 2 pieces of memory were certified to be all right.The guy did mention that my power supply might not last for too long though.

I am not suffering from crashes of any sort right now, rather freezes now and then.During this term, the LED indicator on my HD would actually turn red.

About the old hd, well, it was making loads of clicking and other whirring noises. And no, I don't think I can attach the old hd to my other computer(from 1996, I think) as it is rather old and might not accept a 46gb hard disk.

How on earth am I gonna test my IDE controller and power supply? I don't have much knowledge to removing and attaching a motherboard and power supply and I certainly don't want to fry anything.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Ha! Your first HDD (old 46GB!!!) is still under warranty (3 years from all the manufacturers). Don’t worry, you can test it just to make the troubleshooting of the rest of your hardware easier. If you only could bring it (and the second HDD) to the local manufacturer’s service department! Just to see what they would say. By the way, probably your complete system is under warranty?
-Take it back.

What you can do in troubleshooting without unscrewing the computer, is just to check whether you have enough free space on the HDD, run Scandisk, Defrag, SiSoft Sandra and other diagnostic software/tools.

Are you sure your technician isn’t a crook? But how can we know that? Unfortunately.
Frankly, I’m in doubt that your computer is so sick. What you say “..and all my parts except for 2 pieces of memory were certified to be all right. The guy did mention that my power supply might not last for too long though..” and your recent freezing problem looks too much for me.

1- Oh, dear, what’s wrong with the memory? No way to get a computer working good with bad memory. It will crash all the time (freeze up is a variaty of crashes in computer terminology).

2 – yeah, normally you should replace a suspicious power supply. But what your technician said, nobody can understand that: “…power supply might not last for too long…”
There’s no such thing like …almost good or … ¼ bad power supply.
The problem is, only tests in computer depot can tell the truth, but these days nobody bothers: the cost of the tests.
Bad power supply can damage your motherboard, processor. I don’t see other way for you to test the power supply than replacing it with another one proved working good. Really, it’s not so difficult. Where to get it?

3- No, you don’t have to try attaching your new type HDD to a something suspiciously old. Probably it was mentioned before not clear enough.
My point is: as I see from your posts, it looks like on the same machine you’ve already replaced one HDD, and now complain about the second HDD. Normally you should check both the harddrives on a proved working machine (not on some obsolete, but on a up-to-date machine, that supports modern harddrives). That’s the way to isolate the problem, to check the IDE controller(s) and the rest on your computer indirectly also. And it’s easiest way to troubleshoot instead of pulling out the motherboard. I know, the problem, where to get a working new machine ?

G

1)Well, previously, there were a couple of blackouts that occured in the entire block of apartments,throughout the previous month or so. Worried after I started getting some problems like distorted display,etc. I sent the computer to a technician(the shop he's from is one of the more reputable ones around here).

2)This system was built by one of my friends. Unfortunately, he's not in the country at the moment and won't be back for some time so I doubt I can get any advice from him.
I'll definitely try to replace the power supply but I don't think I know how to replace the p.s. nor know what type I should get.
Shipping of products into Singapore(unless by a shop/company) isn't really allowed so my choices might be limited. Will a generic power supply suffice?

3)Well, I'll try to ask around from my friends to see if I can go over to their place and try it out but problem is, none of them know much about computers so I am not sure if they would allow me to meddle around.

4)I just tested the hd using Scandisk but no problems so far, except for some long filename errors. The hd has also been scanned for viruses. Well, you mentioned running Sandra Sisoft. I have the latest version of it, so which options/modules should I run on the hd? And perhaps I should try to obtain a much more efficient disk-checking utility like Disk Keeper.Or should I even try to run Spinrite?I've a friend who has it and I can borrow it from him.

Really, I hope nothing much else is wrong except for the p.s. I've already spent quite a load of cash replacing the memory,hd, and sending the computer for testing. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Huijun2001 on 07/16/01 11:09 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Well, I managed to find my old 3dfx card and used it to test my current graphics card. It appears that there's something wrong with it and I'm going to send it in either tommorrow or the day after.

I also got a new psu of 300w.So far so good.However, I'm getting some 1-2 sec freezes at windows boot logo during startup.I really can't remember if this is a voodoo-related problem.

Anyway, thanks for your help. :)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Huijun2001 on 07/17/01 01:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmms. do you happen to have a Via chipset???
if you do i would put money on something is wrong with the chipset & your drives.
get win2k service pack 2.
get the latest via 4in1 drivers 4.32 (if you have a via chipset)

tell me how u go

G

Yes,I'm running a VIA chipset motherboard: P3v4x.

However, I can't install Win 2K Pro as I'm working on a school project which requires the version of Oracle Personal Edition that runs only on Win 98(I've tried installing it in 2K Pro but I'd need to go through a string of steps that I'm not familiar with and also perhaps load some database files which I don't possess). I also need to do a Linux project and I don't want to have more than 2 O/S running on my box.

I am not too sure when I'll finish the projects but they'd probably take at least a couple of weeks to complete.

I really won't say something is wrong with my drives or chipset until I do a burn-in test using Sandra Sisoft. For all I know, part of my problems could have been caused by 4 in 1 4.28 drivers which I've been using so far.But I'm definitely switching to the 4.32 ones.

G

Yuck...this is getting even worse.

Either my Win 98 SE cdrom is faulty(can't be helped...I bought it like a few years ago) or there is something wrong with my system(again...sigh).

First, my AVP antivirus program crashed when I tried installing Zone Alarm Pro.So, I had no choice but to uninstall both the programs by removing them through the registry and the program files folder.

Then, when I installed McAfee AntiVirus, I had problems accessing my A:\ when Quick Format started running. Quick Format could not detect my floppy diskettes(yes, I tried a few). I also got some error:File System(40) or something like that when I tried accessing A:\.

I guess I'll try to finish my projects ASAP so that I can put an end to all these problems.My only wish now is that Oracle had better install properly or I'm going to lose my mind.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i also STRONGLY reccomend you ditch those 4in1's 4.28 as SOON AS POSSIBLE.
they caused the following problems for me:
1. all my cd & hdd's were labled as scsi in the device list.
2. cd-rom took longer than usual to access (still worked thank god)
3. burner didnt burn (thats what got me suspicious in the first place)
4. primary & secondary bus masters were replaced with via bus masters in device list
5. an O&O defrag had about an 80% chance of getting caught in a hard disk churn loop. YUCK
6. hibernate mode took a long time to start writing the memory to the hard drive, often didnt turn my PC off, and 99% of the time failed to resume.

i have no idea if the 4.28's are cauzing your floppy and cd-rom to fail, but its a pretty good bet in my books.
i cant believe asus still has the 4.28's as the "newest" 4in1's on its webby...
i shudder to think how many unsuspecting people are downloading and installing that piece of shite!

and yes. the 14.20 drivers are out!
HOWEVER:
i tried them extensively last night and things dont look good.
UT game 1: ran for 10-15mins then locked up. hmmm
reboot & UT game 2: ran for 20mins then developed the "laggy mouse" syndrome ive seen alot before. each time i ran a new level the laddy mose prob went away, but only for a while.
reboot & UT game 3:bout 30mins i got laggy mouse again, this time with a 10fps drop in framerate :(
reinstall of 12.41's & reboot & UT game: no probs for 1.5hrs gaming :)

so thanx to my rather small (but telling) statistical sample im avoiding the 14.20's.
cheers

G

Well, I've never heard of 14.20 4 in 1 drivers. Where did u get them from?

I'm currently running on the 4.32 version.
Anyway, I'm going to try loading Win 2K Pro afterwards. It appears that the computer is experiencing more and more lockups and crashes.
However, the red light on h/d doesn't stay on when the h/d freezes, so I'm wondering if something else is causing all these problems.
Btw, when Scandisk says that the file system failed to report free space incorrectly, does this refer to a problem with the h/d or to a problem with the O/S itself?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
the 14.20's are detonator drivers, not via 4in1s.

you have the 4.32 version huh... hmmms.

and yes... i got that scandisk problem all the time using win98.
guess its some HDD size/OS problem. never did anything if i fixed it or not. dont have that prob on win2k.

i do hope win2k fixes your problems, if it doesnt then you have a serious issue going down... poor power supply, dodgey mobo, defective processor... take your pick.

G

Oh well, yeah...I really hope Win 2K does fix it.

So far so good although the hd has been a little slow in starting up(think I forgot to defragment my other partition again).

I traced part of my Win 98 problems to my Visual Studio. It appears that you need to go get the VS with SP3 if you don't want Explorer to cause pdm.dll to crash. Well, I'd say screw it and run it on Win 2K Pro instead.

If there are still problems, I'll have to try and get a new mobos and if still problems after that, well...I guess I'll switch to AMD then.I've heard loads of good reviews about the Athlon/Duron processors.

G

Well...things seem to be quite ok now but the hd is getting quite noisy and when I tried to access Running Tasks under System Information, it really made a helluva noise.

Damn...I should try to run Spinrite and see if there's anything wrong with it.

G

Thats not access noise or is it a screach?
Ya better get the data off it soon then...

:smile: Too damn hot in that kitchen!

TRENDING THREADS