Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Two Faulty PSU's; GFX Issues.

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 20, 2012 4:27:14 PM

EDIT: As the Motherboard appears to have suffered partial damage from the PSU (graphics card doesn't work in top slot; hissing sound with graphics are displayed) but otherwise works, how can I be sure that all the other parts aren't damaged or weekend? How can I get them replaced if this is the case?

Scan don't even believe the PSU surged anything, when the tech said it did.

Hi,

I bought all the parts to build a new PC, including the Antec HCP 750 Watt, the Palit 2GB GTX 670 GFX and the ASUS Maximus V Gene Motherboard. Whenever I played games, ASUS anti-surge would trigger. After checking that everything was in place properly and reading through all the manuals again, a technician looked at my PC and found the PSU to be faulty.

The retailer replaced it, but then after fitting it, my PC would show no video output. I used an old Nvidia 9600 GT, and it worked. The technician came back and said that the PSU hnd damaged the GTX 670; the retailer then refunded me.

I bought the Palit 2GB GTX 670 JETSTREAM this time, and when I fitted it in the top slot (16x), there was no video output. It did, however work in the bottom one (8x), even though in the manual it says it needs 16x.
When I launched a game and loaded a level, it cut off saying that ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered.
When the technician disabled the anti-surge, the PSU cut out! I tried an old Corsair VX450W and it worked without cutting off.

The technician thinks it's another faulty PSU, but do you have any idea what the issue is?

I've ordered the Corsair AX750 Watt to see if it will work and asked for a refund for the Antec HCP 750 Watt.

Each time he came, the technician tested the voltage on the PSU and graphics card, which appeared normal. Temperatures and fans speeds were also normal, and appeared normal in AI Suite II and the bios too. Updating the bios had no effect; all Windows and hardware drivers are up to date.

Do you think this issue might happen again, is there any risk to my parts and do you have any idea what the issue is? Also, why won't the graphics card work in the top slot?


If I bought half of the parts from Scan and the other half from Dabs, but the Antec PSU's from Scan damaged the parts, how am I going to get a refund for all of the parts?

Also, if I plan to overclock and SLI later, will I need more than a 750 Watt PSU?


What should I do?


Full PC Specs:

• Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz CPU
• Asus Maximus V Gene Mobo
• Corsair Vengence 8GB 1,600MHz CL9 DDR3 RAM
• Palit GeForce GTX 670 2GB Jetstream
• Antec High Current Pro HCP-750 PSU
• Arctic Freezer i30 Cooler
• Corsair Carbide 500R Case
• Seagate 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache HHD
• Crucial 120GB M4 SSD


Thanks.

More about : faulty psu gfx issues

a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 11:14:17 PM

i think that the top slot might be fried. it should work with any graphics card.
June 21, 2012 12:28:54 AM

I'm certainly not impressed with Antec to say the least.

Both graphics cards work in the 8x slot, but only the older one works in the 16x. Is this because the old 450 Watt PSU can't give enough power in 16x to the new graphics card, or is the Motherboard damaged? It looks like it is, and I'm going to have to start all over again!
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 12:36:05 AM

450w is not nearly enough power for a 670. if the 670 doesnt work in the 16x slot, the 8x slot will be fine for now. there is more than enough bandwidth for the 670 in the 8x slot
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 12:36:26 AM

sad how everything didnt work out fine :( 
June 21, 2012 12:41:11 AM

TheBigTroll said:
450w is not nearly enough power for a 670. if the 670 doesnt work in the 16x slot, the 8x slot will be fine for now. there is more than enough bandwidth for the 670 in the 8x slot


Sorry I forgot that it also didn't work with the 750 Watt PSU in the 16x slot, so it's probably not the 450 Watt PSU. It's strange how it works in the 8x, when it says it should be in the 16x slot.

TheBigTroll said:
sad how everything didnt work out fine :( 


I seem to be a very strong magnet for very bad luck. :( 
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 12:45:18 AM

the 8x slot is the same size as the 16x slot. if you peer inside the slots you will see that the 8x slot is half empty inside and the 16x slot is full. the darker part shows where data is being transfered
June 21, 2012 1:44:03 AM

TheBigTroll said:
the 8x slot is the same size as the 16x slot. if you peer inside the slots you will see that the 8x slot is half empty inside and the 16x slot is full. the darker part shows where data is being transfered


Doesn't that impact SLI performance?

What should I do about it all?
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 2:12:39 AM

your x16 slot doesnt even work so how are you going to SLI 9well if you fix it). no 8x pci-e3 doesnt impact SLI performance. 8x pci-e 3 is the same as pci-e 2 16x. most cards even the 670 cannot even use 16x pci-e 2 so no
June 21, 2012 2:14:00 AM

TheBigTroll said:
your x16 slot doesnt even work so how are you going to SLI 9well if you fix it). no 8x pci-e3 doesnt impact SLI performance. 8x pci-e 3 is the same as pci-e 2 16x. most cards even the 670 cannot even use 16x pci-e 2 so no


I meant in general, of course I can't SLI at the moment.
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 2:15:56 AM

ok then. there is no problem with running graphics cards on 8x mode even in SLI
June 21, 2012 2:22:48 AM

TheBigTroll said:
ok then. there is no problem with running graphics cards on 8x mode even in SLI


Thanks. But still I wonder why it says it must be on 16x in the manual.
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 2:26:09 AM

it says to be on the x16 since that is what the slot is actually called.

the other possible reason is to get the most possible performance out of the video card by eliminating any bandwidth issues (which is non-exsistent in pci-e 3)
June 21, 2012 10:11:45 AM

If I bought half of the parts from Scan and the other half from Dabs, but the Antec PSU's from Scan damaged the parts, how am I going to get a refund for all of the parts?

Also, if I plan to overclock and SLI later, will I need more than a 750 Watt PSU?


EDIT: Had a reply from ASUS Support: "It seems to be a VGA card in compbale issue.
Please check the bios is the latest."

Total rubbish.
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 11:41:42 AM

you have to contact scan yourself. you could do a RMA but it usually takes a month.
June 21, 2012 2:38:29 PM

TheBigTroll said:
you have to contact scan yourself. you could do a RMA but it usually takes a month.


I emailed Scan and they replied stating that they would look into replacing parts that were damaged by the PSU that I bought from them, but not from Dabs.

They suggested that I contact the manufacturer, Antec, about the other parts. I really hope Antec will replace the parts that their PSU ruined, because it was their fault and it's caused a huge inconvenience.

Dabs said that they wouldn't be able to replace any parts, but I've asked if it might be possible to RMA them if Antec refuse to help.

Unfortunately, the Motherboard was from Dabs.
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 3:50:03 PM

i doubt antec would pay up but you can ask
June 21, 2012 3:54:15 PM

TheBigTroll said:
i doubt antec would pay up but you can ask


Why not? It was their bad PSU that broke everything else, so they are clearly responsible. If they don't replace the parts, then I'm going to take further action with a small claims court, which is what Dabs suggested.
June 21, 2012 10:35:17 PM

TheBigTroll said:
companies nowadays are cheap.

here is their warranty statement

http://www.antec.com/index.php?page=warranty_info&AQ=AQ...


I can't find where they explicitly state that they can't replace or refund items that were damaged by their PSU.

There are different laws in Europe about buying items and warranties, which I will have to research.

Obviously it is entirely their fault and not mine, so why should I have to lose out when they could replace 50 of my systems and not dent their profits; whereas I cannot afford to just buy the new parts.

I await their reply.
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 10:41:57 PM

also. did you happen to run your computer during a thunderstorm or a power surge?
June 21, 2012 10:47:35 PM

TheBigTroll said:
also. did you happen to run your computer during a thunderstorm or a power surge?


No and there weren't any power cuts or anything like that either.
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 11:07:15 PM

ok then it is most likely Antec. just wait for their reply
June 25, 2012 3:26:24 PM

TheBigTroll said:
ok then it is most likely Antec. just wait for their reply


Still waiting.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 5:06:32 PM

good thing i am not getting antec power supplies.....
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 6:09:27 PM

Sorry about what happened. This is why I never recommend anything but Seasonic for PSU's, and on rare occasions Corsair. Hope all works in your favor!
July 19, 2012 1:14:16 PM

As the Motherboard appears to have suffered partial damage from the PSU (graphics card doesn't work in top slot; hissing sound with graphics are displayed) but otherwise works, how can I be sure that all the other parts aren't damaged or weekend? How can I get them replaced if this is the case?

Scan don't even believe the PSU surged anything, when the tech said it did.

rocknrollz said:
Sorry about what happened. This is why I never recommend anything but Seasonic for PSU's, and on rare occasions Corsair. Hope all works in your favor!


Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2012 3:56:44 PM

I'm almost afraid to post this, because it is unlikely to make you feel better, but maybe it will help....so:

I actually would suspect the motherboard was faulty in the first place, but it is going to be almost impossible to determine now after the fact. The Antec HCP is not considered a bad psu...it's made by Delta, one of the best manufacturers. Of course, even high quality parts occasionally fail, but for 2 of them to fail in the same way and the technician to not be able to find anything wrong with the psus after the fact, my psychic debugging skills tell me the problem is elsewhere. If you search for the term "ASUS anti-surge" you will find a lot of skepticism that this system works as intended and several examples of people turning it off because it was erroneous. Given you further symptoms, it is possible the motherboard was bad in the first place, casting even further doubt on its validity.

Sorry for delivering bad news. I would try to return everything and start over.
July 19, 2012 6:31:38 PM

Temile said:
I'm almost afraid to post this, because it is unlikely to make you feel better, but maybe it will help....so:

I actually would suspect the motherboard was faulty in the first place, but it is going to be almost impossible to determine now after the fact. The Antec HCP is not considered a bad psu...it's made by Delta, one of the best manufacturers. Of course, even high quality parts occasionally fail, but for 2 of them to fail in the same way and the technician to not be able to find anything wrong with the psus after the fact, my psychic debugging skills tell me the problem is elsewhere. If you search for the term "ASUS anti-surge" you will find a lot of skepticism that this system works as intended and several examples of people turning it off because it was erroneous. Given you further symptoms, it is possible the motherboard was bad in the first place, casting even further doubt on its validity.

Sorry for delivering bad news. I would try to return everything and start over.


The problem is that Scan won't accept returns unless the parts are explicitly broken, so I can't start a fresh. I doubt the manufacturer would help if they see the hard drive working for example. That's why I was asking if the parts could be partly damaged or weakened; do I need to start a fresh?

The PSU itself did cut off after ASUS anti-surge was turned off too.
!