Sign in with
Your question

How can I improve a home built pc?

Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2012 4:40:32 PM

Hi guys,
First off, let me tell you I am a total noob.
I just inherited a home-built PC.
It's kind of a piece of ***, and I'd like to know how i can improve it without replacing everything-
I'm not after a savage gaming machine, I'd just like to make the most of what I have without spending too much.
Some parts seem to be way out of balance.
I'd be most grateful if you guys could advise me.
Anyway, here is a summary;

Windows 7 (64-bit)
Intel Pentium D 3.40GHz
3967 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i
1397GB HDD
CD/DVDRW/BD, CD-RW/DVDRW

System Information
Operating System: Windows 7 (64-bit)
Motherboard Manufacturer: FUJITSU SIEMENS
Motherboard Model: MS-7504VP-PV
Motherboard Version: 1.1
BIOS Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version: V2.0S
BIOS Release Date: 12/16/2008

CPU Information
Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
Type: Intel Pentium D 3.40GHz
Number of CPU's: 1
Cores per CPU: 2
Hyperthreading: Disabled
Measured Speed: 3400.6 MHz
L1 Instruction Cache: 12 K-uops
L1 Data Cache: 2 x 16 KB
L2 Cache Size: 2 x 2 MB
L3 Cache: (N/A)

Memory Information
Total Physical Memory: 3967 MB RAM
Available Physical Memory: 2367 MB RAM
Slot 1: SDRAM, 2048MB
Slot 2: SDRAM, 2048MB
Virtual Memory: C:\pagefile.sys (3967 MB)

Disk Information
Drive Letter (Number): C (Physical drive 0)
Model Number: ST31500341AS
Disk Size (Free space): 1397.2 GBytes (670.3 GBytes)
Disk Cluster Size: 4 KBytes
File System: NTFS

Video Adapters
Description: NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i
Chip Type: GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
Memory: 128MB
Video BIOS: Version 5.73.32.11.7
Driver Provider: NVIDIA
Driver Version: 8.17.13.142
Driver Date: 5-15-2012

More about : improve home built

a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2012 5:10:24 PM

You can't upgrade it, it's too old.
The cpu is too old to support a new graphics card and a new graphics card would likely require a new power supply as well.

Check to see what power supply it has and maybe find a cheap 8800GT video card on craigslist.

a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2012 5:14:32 PM

the problem with old pc is depending on the power supply in the case and the chipset of the mb. it like beating a dead horse. you could spend 200.00 on a new video card but bottle neck it with a slow cpu. all i can say is if there is a pci-e slot on that old mb you can try one of the newer 210 or low end nvidia cards to speed the system up a little. if the hard drive and dvd drive are sata they would be the only thing i would move to a new build. what i would use the old build for would be for a media server or as a storage system. toss a linux build and a few drives and you have an almost free storage pc. if you dont want to upgrade it look near where you live if there a place to donate old pc for tax credit.
Related resources
June 20, 2012 5:35:51 PM

If you have SATA connectors on your motherboard,buy an ssd and you'll see a big performance jump.
Your video card is also quite old. If you wanted to upgrade that a 6750 will work well. It is $90 on newegg. You could also do with a little more ram. Is your ram ddr2 or ddr3?
Your cpu is quite old so a a very good upgrade would be a core 2 quad(can be found on amazon)

I know buying all those parts would be quite a bit so I'll rank importance for you.
#1 cpu
#2 ssd
#3 ram
#4 video card

Try doing a disk cleanup,virus scan and defrag your hard drive in the meantime while waiting for your parts,this should help a bit.
Best of luck!
a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2012 7:06:27 PM

First off all there's no indication that his mobo even supports C2Q, I doubt it even supports 45nm C2D.

4GB of ram is plenty.

A 6650 would be bottlenecked by his cpu, even IF his psu could handle that card.

I doubt any of his parts are SATA.

Besides for what a C2Q costs ($150?)he could buy a Pentium G sandy bridge cpu/mobo/8GB ddr3.
June 20, 2012 9:08:37 PM

you could upgrade it, but i'm going to say it's not worth it.

if you're determined to upgrade and make it more useable, i'd say a SSD would make biggest difference, then maybe a newer but low-end GPU. no need for more RAM, and totally not worth CPU upgrade.
!