help pls w/ NIC uninstallation

zeroyb

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2001
I've had trouble with my old Netgear NIC. To make the long story short, I tried putting it in different PCI slots and got a Linksys NIC in the end. Each time I tried a new PCI slot or a new card, I used Windows XP Network wizard to set up the internet/network. The problem is that each time I run the Wizard with a different setting (NIC moved to another PCI slot, installing new NIC, etc), the number would go up (i.e. Local Area Connection 2,3,4,5...9). I didn't think that was a big deal until I ran into some problems downloading. Somehow the downloader was detecting Netgear NIC (which isn't even physically installed anymore) and telling me that its driver was not compatible. So, can someone please tell me how to:

1. Get rid of the old obsolete "Local Area Connection" 2~8 which I guess somehow exists although I don't see them in the "Network Connections" folder.
2. Get rid of the Netgear NIC info on my computer so that it stops thinking it still has a Netgear NIC installed.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

zeroyb

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2001
I would, but my computer doesn't show "Local Area Connection 2~8" that are not being used. Only "Local Area Connection" and "Local Area Connection 9" show up in Network Connections folder. Is there anyway to view the obsolete ones so I can delete them?