Windows sounds won't play

I have just setting up a new laptop computer that utilizes Windows XP Home.
The only problem that I'm having is that the sounds (at startup, exiting
windows, empty recycle bin etc.) are not playing. I changed some of the
sounds using custom wave files (that worked on my previous computer) under
the 'sounds,speeches,audio devices' section. The sounds will not play,
although I can play music or any sounds through the speakers.

I went back into 'sounds,speeches,audio devices' section and reset the
settings back to Windows default , and there is still no sounds. Is there
another setting somewhere else that controls the sound effects (turns thenm
on or off).

mark

Double click the 'sound' icon in the notification area. The volume Control
properties will open. Make sure the 'Wave' volume control is not muted
and/or slider bar is raised. If 'Wave' does not show up in the Volume
Control Properties, then click on Options at the top. Click Properties.
Then put a checkmark in 'Wave' to be able to adjust the volume for it.
Also, you may want to check the Device Manager to ensure drivers are
correctly loaded under Sounds, Video and Game controllers.
Hope this helps.

mark

"Skippy440" <Skippy440@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just setting up a new laptop computer that utilizes Windows XP Home.
> The only problem that I'm having is that the sounds (at startup, exiting
> windows, empty recycle bin etc.) are not playing. I changed some of the
> sounds using custom wave files (that worked on my previous computer) under
> the 'sounds,speeches,audio devices' section. The sounds will not play,
> although I can play music or any sounds through the speakers.
>
> I went back into 'sounds,speeches,audio devices' section and reset the
> settings back to Windows default , and there is still no sounds. Is there
> another setting somewhere else that controls the sound effects (turns
> thenm
> on or off).

TRENDING THREADS