MB mounting question. Please help I'm in the middle of building PC

aholeinthewor1d

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I am finally building up my pc and I put the motherboard in the case now im confused about something...there are 9 screw holes on the motherboard with metal dots around them which im assuming are for grounding..well my case is the Corsair 300r and it has a metal thing that was already screwed in as part of the case that sticks up threw one of the screw holes on the motherboard. i assumed this was supposed to stay like that maybe to help line everything up....am i suposed to remove this from the case first so i can put a screw in its place? please let me know asap i cant move on till i figure that out...the hole also has the metal dots for grounding which is why i am wondering if a screw goes here..dont wanna not have it grounded right and mess up the MB..thanks

here are some pictures of what i am talking about

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t51/aholeinthewor1d/IMG_20120620_124502.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t51/aholeinthewor1d/IMG_20120620_124526.jpg

aholeinthewor1d

Honorable
May 15, 2012
it can be removed but then there is nothing to screw to..ive been trying to find an answer and see that the case was designed with raised screw holes to act as standoffs so the brass ones are not need..just not sure about the pre-installed one because there is no raised built in standoff there if i remove it

The post is there by design. The purpose is to hold the motherboard securely against the rear i/o plate so you can install the other screws without needing three hands.

One to hold the motherboard in place against the i/o panel which has some spring like resistance,
One to hold the screw in the slot,
and the third hand to actually turn the screw.

I combine hands 2 & 3 by using a magnetic tip screwdriver.

ram1009

Distinguished
If your box MB standoffs are like the ones I've seen they should be left in place. They are there to locate the MB relative to the back panel. The standoffs should have a raised collar that does not protrude all the way through the MB. this is so the associated screw can contact the MB rather than bottom out against the standoff. You're on the right track and asked a good question.

aholeinthewor1d

Honorable
May 15, 2012
ok so i asked on some different forums and the only response i got was to just leave it and not put a screw in there..meaning there is 8 screws holding the MB instead of 9...so is it safe to asume that i dont need a screw there for grounding purposes? even though the MB has the little metal contact dots around the hole just like the rest of the holes..

Safe enough. Actually, the motherboard does not need grounding, the psu will do that when it plugs into the motherboard.