Sign in with
Your question

Integrated Graphics and Graphics Cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 25, 2012 6:16:26 PM

Hi, I am going to be getting a new computer and was wondering if I could replace the graphics card in it. It has integrated Intel HD Graphics, but I like to game a lot, and would like to put a graphics card in the system that has dedicated GB. Here is the computer I was going to buy: http://www.walmart.com/ip/ZT-Affinity-7623Mi-Desktop-PC... and the stats for it: i.walmart.com/i/rb/0087314000397.pdf

Can I replace the bad IG card with a dedicated card?
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 6:27:20 PM

Holy cow dude, for the price of that computer you can build something a lot better yourself, save yourself some money, and get a much better PSU.

The problem with that computer is it has a good CPU, but a horrible PSU and no GPU, and its EXPENSIVE for what you get. In my opinion, put together your own, or have a tech savvy buddy do it for you. You'll get a lot more bang for the buck.

We can help you put together the system. With a 900 dollar budget you can build an epic gaming system.
m
l
April 25, 2012 6:32:04 PM

shadowd94, if you're looking at that computer as a gaming computer then I would opt for something different. The problem with pre-builts is they often have too much of one thing and too little of another. For instance the i7 2600 processor and 16 GB ram is more than you need for gaming and the 350 watt PSU is less than you need for gaming. You can get the best balance by building your own computer if your interested. If not then I would say look for a better balance since you like to game a lot.
m
l
Related resources
April 25, 2012 6:50:54 PM

Helltech said:
Holy cow dude, for the price of that computer you can build something a lot better yourself, save yourself some money, and get a much better PSU.

The problem with that computer is it has a good CPU, but a horrible PSU and no GPU, and its EXPENSIVE for what you get. In my opinion, put together your own, or have a tech savvy buddy do it for you. You'll get a lot more bang for the buck.

We can help you put together the system. With a 900 dollar budget you can build an epic gaming system.

I like to play Minecraft, so I need a good system. I'd like to stay around 700 or 800 dollars and 2500k and 2600k processors. Could you help me build one?
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 6:57:18 PM

You can play minecraft on like a 500 dollars system buddy. Is that all you play?
m
l
April 25, 2012 7:00:58 PM

Helltech said:
You can play minecraft on like a 500 dollars system buddy. Is that all you play?

Yeah, just about... but I want something that can play other things.
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 7:05:59 PM

Well you gotta help us help you, what do you wanna play? What games do you have in mind? What resolution monitor do you have/want to have?

A 2500K is the sweet spot for gaming, do you plan on overclocking? Do you feel comfortable doing it? If so you can get a decent cooler for it, if not you can get a 2500 without the K (but its so easy to overclock I would get it anyway).
m
l
April 25, 2012 7:20:04 PM

Helltech said:
Well you gotta help us help you, what do you wanna play? What games do you have in mind? What resolution monitor do you have/want to have?

A 2500K is the sweet spot for gaming, do you plan on overclocking? Do you feel comfortable doing it? If so you can get a decent cooler for it, if not you can get a 2500 without the K (but its so easy to overclock I would get it anyway).

I want to play Minecraft, really maybe other games like Dirt or Portal or anything new that comes out. I really am looking for some that will play MC on max settings with at least 100-200fps or more.
I'm not very familiar with overclocking, so i'm not sure. Maybe you could tell me?
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 7:22:53 PM

100 FPS or more? Even a 3D ready screen will never be able to do more then 120 FPS. Anymore then that and you get screen tearing you dont WANT that much fps. Also there is no single graphics card that can do over 70 FPS on EVERYTHING at a decent resolution. You want around 50FPS.

Games like Dirt, Portal, and Minecraft you can build a 500-600 dollar computer and max those out at 1080p easily.

EDIT - Excluding monitor.
m
l
April 25, 2012 7:27:51 PM

Helltech said:
100 FPS or more? Even a 3D ready screen will never be able to do more then 120 FPS. Anymore then that and you get screen tearing you dont WANT that much fps. Also there is no single graphics card that can do over 70 FPS on EVERYTHING at a decent resolution. You want around 50FPS.

Games like Dirt, Portal, and Minecraft you can build a 500-600 dollar computer and max those out at 1080p easily.

Ok, I just really want it to play MC, can you build me one?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 7:30:55 PM

Helltech said:

The Walmart bundle includes LCD, keyboard, mouse, Win7 Home Premium and a few other things so the price isn't that horrible.

350W isn't that bad for an entry-level gaming PC either since a single-GPU non-overclocked setup typically uses less than 200W.

As far as quality of no-name PSUs goes, I have yet to have anything worse than leaking caps on those. Ironically, my only three PSUs that died with light shows and puffs of smoke were from Antec, Fortron and one unit taken out of an IBM desktop - all three looked like their 5VSB supply blew up. I have also had to re-cap one of my Antec PSUs due to leaking Fuhjyyu caps.

There may be a little bit more peace-of-mind with name-brand PSUs but my luck seems to be swinging the other way around.
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 7:32:21 PM

That would be true except the monitor keyboard and mouse aren't of quality. That price is bad, the best thing about it is the 2TB hard drive, which I doubt the OP even needs.

I can stick to the budget of the computer he linked and build something much more appropriate for his needs.

And yes, an entry level GPU for something like home theater works perfectly fine on a low-wattage PSU, but he said he wants to game on it.
m
l
April 25, 2012 7:42:08 PM

InvalidError said:
The Walmart bundle includes LCD, keyboard, mouse, Win7 Home Premium and a few other things so the price isn't that horrible.

350W isn't that bad for an entry-level gaming PC either since a single-GPU non-overclocked setup typically uses less than 200W.

As far as quality of no-name PSUs goes, I have yet to have anything worse than leaking caps on those. Ironically, my only three PSUs that died with light shows and puffs of smoke were from Antec, Fortron and one unit taken out of an IBM desktop - all three looked like their 5VSB supply blew up. I have also had to re-cap one of my Antec PSUs due to leaking Fuhjyyu caps.

There may be a little bit more peace-of-mind with name-brand PSUs but my luck seems to be swinging the other way around.

Err come on dude, that "Fortron" PSU is one of those "no-brand" psus,hell every PSU technically has a brand. But I coulda told you that Fortron would go bad, and one from an IBM desktop. Antec also didn't use to make the best PSU and many people on here only suggest high quality Antect PSUs when they do. The only brands that are consistent at delivering good PSUS are Silverstone, Corsair, XFX, and Seasonic.

350w is pretty low, I wouldn't go less then 450 on an entry-level gaming system, even just to give the computer some headroom.

That price on that computer even with all things considered is meh at best, it is horrible but it isn't good thats for sure.
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 7:46:08 PM

shadowd94 said:
Ok, I just really want it to play MC, can you build me one?

Just minecraft? What resolution monitor do you want? You won't be playing any high-end games like Battlefield, Metro 2033, or Crysis? No high-end task work like Photoshop, video editing, nothing of the sort?
m
l
April 25, 2012 7:56:03 PM

Helltech said:
Just minecraft? What resolution monitor do you want? You won't be playing any high-end games like Battlefield, Metro 2033, or Crysis? No high-end task work like Photoshop, video editing, nothing of the sort?

Eh, really only games like the ones I listed above. I do rarely do video editing. And as for a monitor, couldn't I use my 26" Samsung 720p tv?
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 8:02:17 PM

You could, I couldn't promise it would look nice though. Using a TV as a monitor is hit or miss, despite what some people on here would say not every TV works well as a monitor. Sometimes they work great, and sometimes they do not. Also with your budget it would be extremely easy to fit in a monitor.

If you are only using 720p that even shows how much less of a power-horse for a computer you need.

At 720p Dirt 3 (the most demanding game you listed) gets over 140FPS with a 7770, which in turns means you are going to have to turn on V-Sync in order to prevent screen tearing. Which isn't a big deal.

It's an odd one to help you really, I understand you have an extremely large budget, but really what you need isn't that expensive. If you want I can go ahead and pick out the parts for a 900 dollar machine like you listed above, or I go ahead and pick out the parts for something that would suite you much better and save you money.

Its up to you, its your money, but honestly if games like Portal, Dirt, and Minecraft are what you like there is no reason you need to spend all that money on your system.
m
l
April 25, 2012 8:06:47 PM

Ok, maybe a 20" or more 1080p monitor. I really don't want to go with a $900 system, just the cheapest thing you can with like 8 -12GB of ram and a 2500k. The guys on the MC forums built me this, but without a 2500k. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7dTv
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 8:10:17 PM

As much as I love the 2500k and I don't mind pushing it on people because its great, its really way to much for your needs. Especially if you don't plan on overclocking at all. You could get a 965BE for half the cost and it would fit your needs perfectly. I guess the 2500k would last you years and years and years with your needs though, so there is that.

Also what are you storage needs? Do you have a lot of music and movies on your computer?
m
l
April 25, 2012 8:30:19 PM

Helltech said:
As much as I love the 2500k and I don't mind pushing it on people because its great, its really way to much for your needs. Especially if you don't plan on overclocking at all. You could get a 965BE for half the cost and it would fit your needs perfectly. I guess the 2500k would last you years and years and years with your needs though, so there is that.

Also what are you storage needs? Do you have a lot of music and movies on your computer?

Right now I have a Laptop with a 320GB and still have 270gb free. I would like a 2500k, though.
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 8:37:46 PM

Well with an AMD is how you get it so cheap. The 2500K alone is 215 dollars, gimme a few though I'll make a build. It will probably be more in the 850 dollar range though, the reason I was saying you could do it on a lot less is because you don't need a 2500K. Also if you aren't going to overclock and for some reason need the 2500 you could get one without the K, and thus get a cheaper motherboard.
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 8:54:55 PM

862.00 after rebates, comes with a monitor as well as Rage and Dirt 3 for free

However if you went with just what you need, a 550Ti, a 965BE, and a MSI 760GM-P21. That would only be 702 dollars.
m
l
April 25, 2012 9:11:32 PM

Helltech said:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj48/Helltech/2500KMineCraftBuild.jpg

862.00 after rebates, comes with a monitor as well as Rage and Dirt 3 for free

However if you went with just what you need, a 550Ti, a 965BE, and a MSI 760GM-P21. That would only be 702 dollars.

Can you link me to that photo?

Also, I know someone who wants the computer in the first post, but they want to upgrade the card, which was the main purpose of the first post. Can they upgrade that card since the graphics card it has is integrated?
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 9:13:38 PM

Just click the picture and it will take you to the link.

Yes they upgrade the card. If you want anything decent you will have to upgrade the power supply as well.
m
l
April 25, 2012 9:17:05 PM

Helltech said:
Just click the picture and it will take you to the link.

Yes they upgrade the card. If you want anything decent you will have to upgrade the power supply as well.

How much would it cost for them to do that?
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 9:19:51 PM

I don't know who "them" is, at my shop I'd charge like 35 dollars to do that on a simple system.
m
l
April 25, 2012 9:43:16 PM

Helltech said:
I don't know who "them" is, at my shop I'd charge like 35 dollars to do that on a simple system.

I made this one based off someone elses build for me, but added some things that it didn't have. Would this work? I don't know much about these parts working together.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7k2n
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 9:46:38 PM

Not really. The power supply for GTX 560 Ti needs to be at 550 W. Plus it doesn't list price of GTX 560 Ti, so that build would be around $1000 in total.
m
l
April 25, 2012 9:54:45 PM

Sunius said:
Not really. The power supply for GTX 560 Ti needs to be at 550 W. Plus it doesn't list price of GTX 560 Ti, so that build would be around $1000 in total.

What would be a cheaper card that still did good?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 10:43:54 PM

Sunius said:
Not really. The power supply for GTX 560 Ti needs to be at 550 W.

This is only a conservative vendor recommendation brought forward by the large number of PSUs both larger and smaller having a hard time keeping up massive load swings, larger PSUs just tend to have larger output caps which reduces their susceptibility to load changes. A 430W Seasonic-based or equivalent-quality design would likely be just fine but marketing and technical brochures need to make pessimistic estimations of what their hardware will get paired with.
m
l
!