Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Computer Powers On... and Then Off

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 24, 2012 12:47:27 PM

Greetings...

I had a problem in my system.
when i press the power button of my system , the fan on the processor,GPU and PSU turns on for a second and then goes off.The light in front of the CPU flashes and turns off.

Some time when i am lucky the computer starts up without any problem,runs fine for half an hour or 2-3 hours and even for a day and turns off all of a sudden.

I have noticed that when i keep my CPU tilted verticaly at 90 degrees the chances of powering on properly is more as compared to keep the CPU horizontal.

I think that its a small connection problem somewere.I am not figuring it out.I have tried reinserting all the components except the processor coz i dont know how to remove it.

Even my PSU can be faulty.If it is, how do i diagnose for a faulty PSU?

Help Guys.....

More about : computer powers

a c 895 à CPUs
October 24, 2012 12:56:20 PM

And you have reconnected all your power cables?
m
0
l
October 24, 2012 1:02:49 PM

rolli59 said:
And you have reconnected all your power cables?


Yes i have reconnected all the cables inside and on the back of the CPU.....Thanks for replying :) :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
October 24, 2012 1:19:38 PM

shoaibams said:
Greetings...

I had a problem in my system.
when i press the power button of my system , the fan on the processor,GPU and PSU turns on for a second and then goes off.The light in front of the CPU flashes and turns off.

Some time when i am lucky the computer starts up without any problem,runs fine for half an hour or 2-3 hours and even for a day and turns off all of a sudden.

I have noticed that when i keep my CPU tilted verticaly at 90 degrees the chances of powering on properly is more as compared to keep the CPU horizontal.

I think that its a small connection problem somewere.I am not figuring it out.I have tried reinserting all the components except the processor coz i dont know how to remove it.

Even my PSU can be faulty.If it is, how do i diagnose for a faulty PSU?

Help Guys.....



This issue can come from several factors, although the issue appears to be hardware related and not driver/software.
1) One of which and the first to start with is... Your PSU. It may be old, a capcitor may be defectuous or simply your PC got jolted by lightning and your PC is not as efficient as in first day. Try a friend PSU or anotherone if you have one handy. if you have a mass market computer then PSU nowadays are not that expensive, get one. It works good for you, you solved the issue, the probolem persists then return it.
2)How dusty is the inside of your PC? Do you ever clean the inside, if the answer is no then open thehood and check inside. This is NOT a common related issue but still something that can provoke your PC to shut down and/or restart.
3)I remember years ago, I had a IDE HDD and it was not sata but the IDE cord was defectuous and was making my PC go blue screen then reboot.
4) Also you can try: memtest to check memory (I don't think it is the problem but you can always check). Attempt to provoke the issue with Prime 95 and it may pin point the issue for you and let you understand where the issue comes from. it is going to stress the PC and check each components (I think). I never use it but I heard many do so to see if the PC can handle stress or not.

What it CANNOT be from: It cannot come from windows, windows services, components drivers because as you stated "when i press the power button of my system..." which means windows does not have time to load sometimes; therefore windows is not faulty.

Hope this help,
Seb
m
0
l
a c 895 à CPUs
October 24, 2012 1:20:08 PM

Inclusive of the front panel connections from the power button? If so then it is hard to tell what is wrong but as you say the PSU could be failing.
m
0
l
October 24, 2012 3:06:03 PM

sebastien said:
This issue can come from several factors, although the issue appears to be hardware related and not driver/software.
1) One of which and the first to start with is... Your PSU. It may be old, a capcitor may be defectuous or simply your PC got jolted by lightning and your PC is not as efficient as in first day. Try a friend PSU or anotherone if you have one handy. if you have a mass market computer then PSU nowadays are not that expensive, get one. It works good for you, you solved the issue, the probolem persists then return it.
2)How dusty is the inside of your PC? Do you ever clean the inside, if the answer is no then open thehood and check inside. This is NOT a common related issue but still something that can provoke your PC to shut down and/or restart.
3)I remember years ago, I had a IDE HDD and it was not sata but the IDE cord was defectuous and was making my PC go blue screen then reboot.
4) Also you can try: memtest to check memory (I don't think it is the problem but you can always check). Attempt to provoke the issue with Prime 95 and it may pin point the issue for you and let you understand where the issue comes from. it is going to stress the PC and check each components (I think). I never use it but I heard many do so to see if the PC can handle stress or not.

What it CANNOT be from: It cannot come from windows, windows services, components drivers because as you stated "when i press the power button of my system..." which means windows does not have time to load sometimes; therefore windows is not faulty.





Hope this help,
Seb




Thanx sebastien for your reply......
Yes there is a lot of dust inside the cabinet as i keep the cabinet open coz my GPU gets hot.
I will use a vaccum cleaner to clean the dust and see if it resolves the issue.

I have also tried Mem test and gpu test and it completed sucessfully.
I have a cooler master silent 600w PSU and a Readon HD 6850.I had removed the HD 6850 for testing but the problem still remains.So i guess the GPU is not the issue.

I am also having an OLD Stock PSU. i will replace my PSU with it and check.....
I will get back soon...


m
0
l
October 24, 2012 3:07:48 PM

rolli59 said:
Inclusive of the front panel connections from the power button? If so then it is hard to tell what is wrong but as you say the PSU could be failing.



Yes i also think likewise.
I will check with another PSU mean while...

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 3:21:29 PM

I think your CPU could be overheating.

Get Coretemp installed (next time you manage to switch it on), and get ORTHOS or Prime95. Open Coretemp, then run Prime or Orthos. What to the temps get up to?

If your PC is full of dust then the heatsink over the CPU could be full of dust, rendering it ineffective. This will cause the CPU to overheat on startup. The computer will shut down if this happens to prevent hardware failure.

Another possibility is RAM.

Try each DIMM of RAM individually and see if this makes a difference. Bad RAM will prevent startup.

And yeah - your PSU could be on the blink. If this is the case, replace it.

If the CPU is overheating, remove, clean and replace the heatsink, with some fresh thermal paste.

If the RAM is corrupt, replace it.

m
0
l
October 24, 2012 3:39:22 PM

RickyT23 said:
I think your CPU could be overheating.

Get Coretemp installed (next time you manage to switch it on), and get ORTHOS or Prime95. Open Coretemp, then run Prime or Orthos. What to the temps get up to?

If your PC is full of dust then the heatsink over the CPU could be full of dust, rendering it ineffective. This will cause the CPU to overheat on startup. The computer will shut down if this happens to prevent hardware failure.

Another possibility is RAM.

Try each DIMM of RAM individually and see if this makes a difference. Bad RAM will prevent startup.

And yeah - your PSU could be on the blink. If this is the case, replace it.

If the CPU is overheating, remove, clean and replace the heatsink, with some fresh thermal paste.

If the RAM is corrupt, replace it.


Thanks RickyT23 for replying...

My CPU temps are around 40-46 full load and GPU at 70-75 full load with cabinet open....
Mem test has passed so do you think its a RAM?
ok....i will remove one stick at a time and check...
Meanwhile i am not getting my Old PSU..i dunno where i have kept :( 
m
0
l
October 24, 2012 3:45:28 PM

Heat wouldn't be the issue if the computer shuts off within a few seconds on a cold boot. The OP wasn't specific enough to know for sure if it fails on a cold boot or not though. (Cold boot means your computer has been off for an hour or so before you turn it on).

RAM doesn't make sense. Faulty RAM should not cause a full shutdown, you would fail to post, and sit with fans spinning if the issue were RAM.

To me, this is either the PSU; or a short somewhere. If you have a spare PSU (that you know works) try it out first, probably best to leave your graphics card out while you do, so you don't pull too much power.

If you GENTLY tilt the PC from side to side, make sure there is nothing rattling around inside.
Unplug all your hard drives and optical drives, see if the computer will work every time you try to power up. If it does, reconnect them one at a time and try to isolate what causes the shutdown.

Lastly, you can try a paperclip test on the PSU. By removing the PSU from the PC completely, and plugging it into a wall. By shorting the power-up signal to ground, you can force the PSU to power up with nothing attached. If it fails to stay running, you've found the issue. (Be careful not to short the wrong wires together) http://dodji.seketeli.com/downloads/shuttle-psu-paper-c...


Edit: For what it's worth, if this were happening to me, I would immediately order a new power supply (time > money for me, and the PSU is the most likely culprit). Coolermaster isn't a good PSU maker, and there is some risk that the failing PSU will damage your components.
However, there are a few things other than the PSU that could cause this, and if you don't have the money for replacing the PSU and something else, it's best to find the cause first and only buy the part you need to fix it.
I would suggest getting this figured out quickly, so that if it is the PSU, it doesn't fail completely and cause damage to the rest of the system.
If you want to shop for a PSU, use this for a reference: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 4:00:59 PM

Yeah those temps are fine. Doesn't sound like RAM, if memtest is clear. PSU could well be the culprit.

You could take your box to a computer shop and ask them to test your PSU. Or buy a PSU tester.

djscribbles is right. Disconnect all but the bare minimum from the rig. If you have the option of using on-board graphics, then you could disconnect the GPU and see if it works without it.

A PSU tester would tell you which rails are faulty, if that is the problem.
m
0
l
October 25, 2012 5:07:16 AM

@djscribbles & RickyT23....

As you both rightly said its the PSU...I have installed old PSU and its working fine.I have removed the Graphic card as the Old PSU is a cheap one.

What would be the ideal power supply?
I have to buy a new PSU now and i dont want a cheap PSU again....!!!

Once again Thankyou every one for helping me out...Cheers :) :) :) 




m
0
l
a c 895 à CPUs
October 25, 2012 12:57:59 PM

List your components so we can recommend proper size PSU.
m
0
l
October 25, 2012 3:46:46 PM

The brands I typically recommend are: Seasonic, XFX, PC Power & Cooling, and Corsair. This site is very helpful while shopping: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Check out reviews from sites like hardwaresecrets, jonnyguru, etc (lots of them are referenced in the forum link I gave). Try to find a review of the model you are buying (exact wattage, and generation), but you can use other sizes or previous generations of the same product as indicators to help if you can't find your exact model. Actual Teardown reviews are the only way to know the quality, watch out for the "Thermaltake sent me this PSU for free, and I plugged it in and it worked: A+++" reviews.

Depending on your hardware, the wattage you need varies. For a modern single GPU (6xx or 7xxx series), a 500W PSU is good for a single card without any crazy OC's/configurations. If your card is older, and powerful, a 600W maybe advisable. For a dual card system, a 750w is good (650 is probably enough in many cases though, but check first :)  )
edit: I've added some padding to those numbers, so don't be too worried about cutting it close. If you want to get as low wattage as you can (to save money) you'll want to post specs for sure.
m
0
l
October 25, 2012 6:00:58 PM

djscribbles said:
The brands I typically recommend are: Seasonic, XFX, PC Power & Cooling, and Corsair. This site is very helpful while shopping: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Check out reviews from sites like hardwaresecrets, jonnyguru, etc (lots of them are referenced in the forum link I gave). Try to find a review of the model you are buying (exact wattage, and generation), but you can use other sizes or previous generations of the same product as indicators to help if you can't find your exact model. Actual Teardown reviews are the only way to know the quality, watch out for the "Thermaltake sent me this PSU for free, and I plugged it in and it worked: A+++" reviews.

Depending on your hardware, the wattage you need varies. For a modern single GPU (6xx or 7xxx series), a 500W PSU is good for a single card without any crazy OC's/configurations. If your card is older, and powerful, a 600W maybe advisable. For a dual card system, a 750w is good (650 is probably enough in many cases though, but check first :)  )
edit: I've added some padding to those numbers, so don't be too worried about cutting it close. If you want to get as low wattage as you can (to save money) you'll want to post specs for sure.


Here are the list of PSU i shortlisted that are available in my area...

Corsair CMPSU-600GUK 600 Watts
Seasonic S12II 520 Watts
Cooler Master GX 550 Watts
Cooler Master Thunder 600 Watts
Seasonic S12II 620 Watts
Antec VP450 450 Watts
Seasonic X Series - 80 Plus Gold SS-560KM 560
Antec EA-Green 750 Watts

here are my system specs
Core i5 2nd generation
2 X 4 gb ddr3 ram
I TB HDD
XFX Readon HD 6850
42 inch Led TV and 22 Inch LCD moniter ( I use dual moniter )
2 External drives (500 GB each )
DVD RW drive etc etc and other essential components.

For which PSU should i go......



m
0
l
a c 895 à CPUs
October 25, 2012 6:14:39 PM

I would go with the Seasonic S12II 520 watt it is plenty for your setup!
m
0
l

Best solution

October 25, 2012 6:19:51 PM

(My opinion) In order of quality, any of these are fine:
Seasonic X Series - 80 Plus Gold SS-560KM 560
Seasonic S12II 620 Watts
Seasonic S12II 520 Watts

These would be worth investigating if the above are too expensive, maybe good, but I don't know (no time to research for you, sorry):
Corsair CMPSU-600GUK 600 Watts (unsure what this line is)
Antec EA-Green 750 Watts

Since you want 500W for the 6850, I cut the Antec 450W. CoolerMaster is generally no good for PSUs (there are exceptions, but I wouldn't recommend them without research), so I excluded them as well.
Share
October 26, 2012 4:58:59 AM

djscribbles said:
(My opinion) In order of quality, any of these are fine:
Seasonic X Series - 80 Plus Gold SS-560KM 560
Seasonic S12II 620 Watts
Seasonic S12II 520 Watts

These would be worth investigating if the above are too expensive, maybe good, but I don't know (no time to research for you, sorry):
Corsair CMPSU-600GUK 600 Watts (unsure what this line is)
Antec EA-Green 750 Watts

Since you want 500W for the 6850, I cut the Antec 450W. CoolerMaster is generally no good for PSUs (there are exceptions, but I wouldn't recommend them without research), so I excluded them as well.



I have to get the PSU as early as possible so without any delay i will get Seasonic S12II 620 Watts.


Thanks djscribbles, rolli59,RickyT23 & sebastien for helping me out....



m
0
l
October 26, 2012 5:00:05 AM

Best answer selected by shoaibams.
m
0
l
October 26, 2012 1:46:54 PM

Glad to help. Good luck.
m
0
l
April 17, 2013 10:19:47 PM

shoaibams said:
Greetings...

I had a problem in my system.
when i press the power button of my system , the fan on the processor,GPU and PSU turns on for a second and then goes off.The light in front of the CPU flashes and turns off.

Some time when i am lucky the computer starts up without any problem,runs fine for half an hour or 2-3 hours and even for a day and turns off all of a sudden.

I have noticed that when i keep my CPU tilted verticaly at 90 degrees the chances of powering on properly is more as compared to keep the CPU horizontal.

I think that its a small connection problem somewere.I am not figuring it out.I have tried reinserting all the components except the processor coz i dont know how to remove it.

Even my PSU can be faulty.If it is, how do i diagnose for a faulty PSU?

Help Guys.....



m
0
l
!