First build. gaming. compatibility check and suggestions.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17107691

what Ive picked out. wanna make sure everything's compatible. also if there is any changes i should make

Approximate Purchase Date: 1-2 weeks

Budget Range: $1000-$1100. without the monitor. with the monitor under $1200 hopefully.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, music/movies, internet, homework.

Preferred Website for Parts: newegg.com

Country: USA

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 (lowest) preferably- 1920x1080, 1920x1200

Additional Comments: still need a monitor.
41 answers Last reply
More about first build gaming compatibility check suggestions
  1. Get FX-6100

    Let me guess you chose the FX-4170 because of the clock speed
  2. guerrero said:
    Get FX-6100

    Let me guess you chose the FX-4170 because of the clock speed


    ha yea i did. also because it seemed to fit the budget while looking decent.
  3. That CPU will not do you good in gaming Ive heard and I would get a better case
  4. Ive heard that but Ive also heard it does fine. but the 6100 would be better you think?

    and any case recommendations?
  5. HAf 912 or Antec 300

    The FX-4170 is for like editing and stuff like that
    I would say that the FX-6100 is better in gaming but I hope someone else replies lol
  6. I'd scrap that whole build - the 670 is one of the finest GPUs on the market - that's for sure, but the PSU is one of the absolute worst brands you could pick from. Zambezi also isn't the greatest when you could get a Core i5 instead. The GPU is a good selection but you're cutting a ton of corners on everything else to get it.

    Try this:

    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 - $59.99
    PSU: Corsair TX650 V2 - $89.99 ($10.00 MIR)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H - $119.99
    CPU: 3.1GHz Intel Core i5-3450 - $199.99
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB 1600MHz 1.5V - $46.99
    HD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 - $109.99
    Optical: Lite On Bulk DVD Burner - $17.99
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 - $249.99
    OS: Windows 7 Home Premium - $99.99

    Total: $993.91

    With this build the GPU isn't as good but gets the job done and but the CPU is far, far more powerful than any Zambezi CPU. Plus you also get a PSU that is leaps and bounds better than the original choice.
  7. g-unit1111 said:
    I'd scrap that whole build - the 670 is one of the finest GPUs on the market - that's for sure, but the PSU is one of the absolute worst brands you could pick from. Zambezi also isn't the greatest when you could get a Core i5 instead. The GPU is a good selection but you're cutting a ton of corners on everything else to get it.

    Try this:

    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 - $59.99
    PSU: Corsair TX650 V2 - $89.99 ($10.00 MIR)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H - $119.99
    CPU: 3.1GHz Intel Core i5-3450 - $199.99
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB 1600MHz 1.5V - $46.99
    HD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 - $109.99
    Optical: Lite On Bulk DVD Burner - $17.99
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 - $249.99
    OS: Windows 7 Home Premium - $99.99

    Total: $993.91

    With this build the GPU isn't as good but gets the job done and but the CPU is far, far more powerful than any Zambezi CPU. Plus you also get a PSU that is leaps and bounds better than the original choice.



    I like this build but Ive been talking about the CPU mostly lol
  8. Some nice cases:

    Antec ONE
    Antec 302
    Thermaltake Commander
    Corsair Carbide 300R
    Zalman Z9/Z9 plus
    Zlaman Z11/Z11 plus
  9. monocycliste said:
    Some nice cases:

    Antec ONE
    Antec 302
    Thermaltake Commander
    Corsair Carbide 300R
    Zalman Z9/Z9 plus
    Zlaman Z11/Z11 plus


    I have the Zalman Z11 (no plus) pretty awesome lol
  10. http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17286411

    also was considering this. if its any better and worth the extra money for the i5?
  11. If your not going to overclock dont get an unlocked cpu
  12. i might overclock at some point in the future. which i know will involve buying a fan.
  13. Woah Woah! Are you going to remove the thermal paste in the future and struggle?
  14. you make a good point. i hadn't considered that.
  15. exactly the cooler i would have gotten. seems like everyone recommends it lol
  16. lets say i went with the amd build. with the 4170. how would it do with gaming as compared to the 6100?
  17. I dont know because I cant find anything comparing these two...
  18. fagetsz
  19. ok, the "fagetsz" thing was not me. last time i leave my computer up for my brother to get into it
  20. I hope your brother dosnt use your next computer lol
  21. oh no he wont. ill kill him before he does haha
  22. plenty of gameplays with the 4170 paired with a gtx-570 or 560. seems to run just fine. also between the 4170 and the 2500k for me just isnt worth the extra money
  23. Even an i3 2120 is better then a stock 4170....
  24. AMD FX-4170 Quad-Core 4590/163/32.79 $139.99*
    Intel Core i3-2120 @ 3.30GHz 4221/185/34.33 $122.96*


    Passmark CPU Mark(higher is better)/Rank(lower is better)/CPU Value(higher is better)

    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
  25. Look at G-Units build....
  26. what about it?
  27. It's GOOD
  28. agree, but i can do better
  29. might get the 2500k.
  30. Are you going to overclock?
  31. yea. gonna add the fan. any possibility of clearance issues?
  32. Whats that?
  33. possibility of the fan being in the way of some parts. i think ive read that sometimes the ram can be in the way of the fan.
  34. What fan are you thinking of?
  35. the cooler master hyper 212
  36. Plus or Evo?
  37. plus
  38. also i need some suggestions on monitors. one under $200. wanted it to be atleast 20". if i could find one for a good price a 23" one would be awesome. resolution of atleast 1920x1080
  39. ha looks good
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Monitors Compatibility Systems Product