GPU (Radeon HD 5850) doesnt recognize monitor

xhobbesx

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
I have a Radeon HD 5850 on my computer. So my computer was working fine before I left for a year. I put the computer and GPU (in the computer) away in storage. However, when I cam back, I tried to use the computer but the computer (specifically the GPU) does not recognize the monitor if I have the GPU. I did not change the configuration at all since the last time the computer worked.

I know that my computer works without the GPU. I have removed the GPU and the computer boots all the way to Windows. It is only when I install the GPU that the monitor shows a blank (no signal detected). I have tried using HDMI as well as DVI but none of them work. I cannot even see the BIOS

I tried the memory card swap using various slots and memory cards and that didn't work.
I tried putting the GPU into another mobo slot and that didn't work.
I have tried removing the CMOS battery and left it out for 10 min and that didn't work.

I have an Antec Earthwatts 650 watt PSU so I think that it is getting enough power (it was before I left for a year).

Any suggestions on whats wrong with my GPU and how to fix it? Are there any diagnostics for the GPU I can use?

loops

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Does the GPU power up? Fans spin? If you unplug the boot drive and turn on the rig do the fans trun?

Have you tried other drivers?

If you have lost all hope, you could try to bake it. That would be a last last last ditch effort tho.
http://www.addictivetips.com/hardware/fix-your-graphics-card-by-baking-in-oven/