Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Optical drive not working

Last response: in Components
October 24, 2012 3:05:22 PM

Hi guys,
I'm new on this forum....anyway my DVD drive stopped working suddenly..the tray opens but the disks don't spin.BTW it was a new lg gh22ns50.As it wasn't working i bought a new buffalo external dvd drive...but even the new drive does not burn dvds on my computer .it reads dvds but it starts flashing the red light indicating low power even after connecting both usb cables when i start burning..wasted a lot of dvds trying to burn them...seems to write the lead-in and then it fails...only dvds which burn are the sony rewritable disks..burning at 2x....btw the drive works fine and burns all kinds of dvds when connected to other computers...problem exists only when connected to my pc...my guess is a problem with my psu...maybe low power output or something...i'm guessing my lg internal drive too stopped working due to this...any ideas guys?any suggestions?...

More about : optical drive working

October 24, 2012 4:48:46 PM

You mentioned your PSU but didn't give any particulars about any of your hardware other than the optical drives. It's always a good idea to list all your hardware specs including the brand and model of your PSU. It also helps to know what burning software you are using. Have you tried different burning apps to eliminate the possible of software issues?
Score

Best solution

October 24, 2012 6:05:52 PM

The power to the External maybe limited by the internal USB hubs. Try plugging the two USB plugs into seperate USB "blocks".

Other than that, it could be your PSU or your motherboard limiting power out of the USB devices.

A powered USB hub would probably fix your external. As for the internal, it's probably just a DOA drive. Internals use 12V rather than 5V (I think) so it's kinda unlikely that they are related.
Related resources
October 25, 2012 2:47:25 PM

thanks....
Score
November 14, 2012 6:00:05 PM

Best answer selected by stormbreaker.
Score
November 14, 2012 6:21:38 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!