Adding or removing programs to start button

I have a lot of items on my start menu, in fact too many I have things like
quicktime, that I don't need running. I have to turn it off every time.
How do I turn things off that I only want to use periodically. Also, how to
remove or add programs to the all programs list under the start button.
Thanks for reading this.

In news:OQPPd.1909$tf4.140@fe03.lga,
}}}Seska Vedek{{{ <akaleeloo@yahoo.com> typed:

> I have a lot of items on my start menu, in fact too many I have
> things like quicktime, that I don't need running. I have to
> turn it
> off every time. How do I turn things off that I only want to
> use
> periodically.

On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
Options to see if it has the choice not to start. Many can easily
and best be stopped that way. If that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG
from the Start | Run line, and on the Startup tab, uncheck the
programs you don't want to start automatically.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Go to Start>Run type: msconfig click OK Select Startup Tab.
Uncheck any unwanted programs. To remove any
program from the All programs list just rt click and choose delete. They
are all Shortcuts to the actual programs.

"}}}Seska Vedek{{{" <akaleeloo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a lot of items on my start menu, in fact too many I have things like
>quicktime, that I don't need running. I have to turn it off every time.
>How do I turn things off that I only want to use periodically. Also, how
>to remove or add programs to the all programs list under the start button.
>Thanks for reading this.

Seska,

You can remove programs from the Start Menu on the top left hand side by
Right Click and Unpin from Start Menu. However, if you want to put them back
later, it would be a good idea to first note the folder where the program
exists. Then, to restore it to the Start Menu, go to that location and
program, then Right Click and Pin to Start Menu.

To add or remove programs under the All programs list, go to
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs and
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs
(where username is your name - in my case it is Trevor)

From the subfolders below these, add or remove shortcuts as required. This
will then be reflected in the All Programs list.
Because they are all shortcuts, no harm is done; you can restore the status
quo at any time by creating a shortcut and moving the shortcut to either of
these two folders (or sub folders beneath them)

--
Cheers,
Trevor L.

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html