jaifra978

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
ok so i have this computer http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01619697&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3872428#N191 and what i would like to know is should i get this cpu upgrade http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727 or should i just get a new motherboard and a better cpu i guess what i am asking is is it worth the upgrade to the 965 or should i spend a little more for a new motherboard and and a better cpu any recommendations would be awesome i dont have alot of money thanks

Solution
The CPU is compatible with your current MOBO, and the upgrade would be worth it if you ask me. You said that you have already updated the BIOS, which is good, so no problems there. But, If I were you and I had that motherboard, I would seriously consider an upgrade of that too. DDR2 RAM at 800Mhz is just too old and outdated for me. Upgrading to another MOBO with an AM3 socket and DDR3 memory compatibility would be worth the extra cash in my books. It doesn't even have to be a flashy upgrade, just something for around an extra $60 would do.

Also, what djscribbles said was right, if you plan on doing any gaming, a GPU is desperately needed. Again, it doesn't have to be expensive. But make sure you find one that will comfortably suite...
iM sorry but your not going to be able to do that. The 96 is a am3 CPU and the motherboard you have is a am2+.. And your. board only supports the 9000 series phenom IIS. Your limiting your self but trying to do that. Since within a year the computer will still be out dated

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
You can simply upgrade the CPU (the socket is compatible).
However, your will probably need to update your BIOS to get support for the Phenom2. It's possible it's already supported, but I don't think it's likely; it's also possible that support has never been added for new CPUs. (HP doesn't claim to support Phenom2s, so proceed with caution)

If you choose to upgrade the motherboard, you'll will need to get a motherboard with DDR2 support, or upgrade your RAM as well.

If you are interested in gaming, the graphics card is also an important consideration (probably more important than the CPU imo), and brings it's own set of requirements (mainly the power supply).

Uberperson

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
Yeah with the 300w PSU on your current system you may have issues if you decide to go with a graphics card. Honestly though, I would think your current CPU could handle those games. Might be better off with a new GPU + PSU. What kind of resolution do you run?

jaifra978

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012

1280 1024

grebgonebad

Distinguished
The CPU is compatible with your current MOBO, and the upgrade would be worth it if you ask me. You said that you have already updated the BIOS, which is good, so no problems there. But, If I were you and I had that motherboard, I would seriously consider an upgrade of that too. DDR2 RAM at 800Mhz is just too old and outdated for me. Upgrading to another MOBO with an AM3 socket and DDR3 memory compatibility would be worth the extra cash in my books. It doesn't even have to be a flashy upgrade, just something for around an extra $60 would do.

Also, what djscribbles said was right, if you plan on doing any gaming, a GPU is desperately needed. Again, it doesn't have to be expensive. But make sure you find one that will comfortably suite your needs. But remember, if you do buy a GPU, you will have to buy a new PSU as well, something with at least 500W to be safe. But make sure that it has enough power in the 12V rail to support the GPU, or it will be pointless.

All in all, if you plan on implementing these changes, were talking about almost a complete overhaul of the major components here. It may be advisable to wait awhile, save up a few hundred bucks, and just build a new system. your choice.

Hope this helps. =)

Solution

Uberperson

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
In my opinion you are better off aiming for a discrete graphics card. It is possible that you could find a very low power consumption GPU that is low to mid range in cost that might work with your PSU. To be safe you may want to upgrade to a decent 500w+ PSU(although shopping for PSU is a bit more complicated then I make it sound because the wattage does really mean that much).

I believe that your integrated graphics is probably holding back your CPU somewhat. The only way I see your CPU having issues is if you are on a large raid in WoW with like 50+ people. If you did want to go with a new build you could look into the newer APU's by AMD which come with graphics about equal to a 7770. You can probably find a bundle of an APU+mobo for under $200. Although you would need new RAM and maybe a few other things.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
While AM2+ boards can handle AM3 Phenom II's if they have the support from the mobo maker with a BIOS update that specifically allows the CPU you want , I cannot find a listing showing your mobo as being able to use the CPU you want, so you would do this at the risk it may not work then you are stuck with a CPU that you can't use unless you buy a new mobo + new RAM

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012

No it doesn't least not in anyway I can find, maybe I'm being an idiot here but I cant find a CPU list for that board that shows PhII compatibility, now that doesnt mean it wont work but it would mean the manufacturer hasn't advertised the fact if it does work.... so it's a gamble.

jaifra978

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012

yea i think that i should wait and save up and build a better one i am having no problems with the computer i just wanted a faster one and to be able to run my games on higher setting but it works ok for now

jaifra978

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012

i think i will look at some cheap graphics cards and save up to get a i7 or a least a i5 25k

grebgonebad

Distinguished
GrebGoneBad wrote :

Also, what djscribbles said was right, if you plan on doing any gaming, a GPU is desperately needed. Again, it doesn't have to be expensive. But make sure you find one that will comfortably suite your needs. But remember, if you do buy a GPU, you will have to buy a new PSU as well, something with at least 500W to be safe. But make sure that it has enough power in the 12V rail to support the GPU, or it will be pointless.

All in all, if you plan on implementing these changes, were talking about almost a complete overhaul of the major components here. It may be advisable to wait awhile, save up a few hundred bucks, and just build a new system. your choice.

Hope this helps. =)

yea i think that i should wait and save up and build a better one i am having no problems with the computer i just wanted a faster one and to be able to run my games on higher setting but it works ok for now

Glad I could help. :) Like I say, It wont take much to build a better system than your current one, and if you plan on keeping the new CPU for the new build, then that's a saving. Also, you could use the HDD from your current system, as well as the disk drive. Only a few extra bits and pieces needed and your there. Good luck

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
If you are upgrading because you have really choppy gameplay, a new graphics card will likely do more than a new CPU.

However, MMO's can be rather stressful on the CPU as well. If your gameplay is choppy even on the lowest graphics setting, then the CPU may be limiting you as well.

Do you have a budget to work within, or are you trying to spend as little money as possible, but willing to spend what you need to make your games playable?

A few options:
Upgrade the CPU. If it solves all your problems, then great you are happy.
If it doesn't work with the mobo: Pickup a new Mobo (either one with DDR2 support or buy some RAM as well; both exist).
If it works fine, but your game is still choppy: Pick up a reasonably priced PSU (50-60$) and a decent gaming card (like a 7770 for ~130$).

Or skip the CPU and just upgrade the PSU and GPU. (However, if the CPU still bottlenecks you, and your mobo doesn't support the phenom2, you'll be spending 450$ or so total)

You could go cheaper on the GPU if needed, almost anything will be an improvement. The 7770 will run wow at ultra (or near ultra) I think.

edit: We can help you out with picking parts if you decide to go with something other than the CPU only. Be aware your 300PSU doesn't have much headroom for a discrete graphics card, plan to spend 50$ or so on a decent PSU (don't buy a junk one).
A few PSU links:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027 (500w decent quality)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703034 (400w higher quality)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703035 (500w higher quality)

grebgonebad

Distinguished
GrebGoneBad wrote :

@wr6133

Look at the above posts an you will see that they have applied a BIOS update that grants the required compatibility support. =)

No it doesn't least not in anyway I can find, maybe I'm being an idiot here but I cant find a CPU list for that board that shows PhII compatibility, now that doesnt mean it wont work but it would mean the manufacturer hasn't advertised the fact if it does work.... so it's a gamble.

Take a look at this:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/A6850F-MS-7548-Bios-Question/td-p/55679/page/2

You can see that there is someone using the 995 on the MS-7548 MOBO. So it should be no problem at all to run. :D

This is just one site from about 2 or 3 that state pretty much the same thing.

jaifra978

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012

i dont have any problem on the lowest setting for the games if i go up to medium than it starts getting choppy so i can handel the loe settings for now and i will just save up to build a decent rig that will handle most i throw at it

jaifra978

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012

this is on my wish list http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161396

and it needs aleast a 500 watt

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012

Fair enough :)