Sign in with
Your question

$1300 Desktop Publishing and Media PC

Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2012 8:05:20 PM

Hello,

I am pretty new to the forums and enjoying the information available and the comments from experienced builders and users. I am thinking of building my own desktop. I don't have lots of time or patience to deal with overclocking at the moment but am not afraid of diving into it later when time permits. Can anyone suggest whether the following list has problems or if you think my priorities may be misplaced? I am thinking that it makes sense to pay more for a component like the processor to get one I will be happy with, since I will likely try to make this machine last up to 5 years - with modifications of course, but hopefully not the processor.

Approximate Purchase Date: Monday 6/25

Budget Range: $1300 after rebates (if any)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Scribus, GIMP, streaming media via bluetooth and recording TV to mpeg, possible future sketchup or revit usage

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon

Parts Preferences: by brand or type I would like to use an Intel CPU & an analog monitor (for now) and full tower case.

Overclocking: Maybe, once I learn more about it

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, depending on future use

Monitor Resolution: unknown

Additional Comments: Interested in a machine that I don't have to wait for, & that is upgradeable for five years (or more). Want USB on front.

List of Parts:

Processor: Core i7-3770K BX80637173770K (359.99)

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO (199.99)

GPU: Use onboard, but have options to add

RAM: G.Skill 2x8GB 1333 F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL (98.99)

Case: Antec 1100 (99.98)

Power: Antec TruePower New TP-650 (109.98)

CPU Cooling: COOLER MASTER Hyper TX3 RR-910-HTX3-G1 (19.99)

HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM (99.99)

SSD: Crucial 256 GB 6GB/s CT256M4SSD2 (201.80)

Optical: Sony DDU1681S-0B (17.00)

Cardreader: Koutech IO-FPM-530 (39.99)

TV Tuner: Hauppague 1600 (74.99)

Total: $1322.69

Thanks for looking and for the advice!
June 22, 2012 2:11:28 PM

Follow-up: I have gotten some other advice to go with an i5 since GIMP won't take full advantage of the hyperthreading. I think this makes sense - if I do end up doing any 3d or Revit the processor upgrade will be a drop in the bucket compared with adding the GPU and purchasing the software. For mobo I was directed to the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 which appears to have the features I need... also suggestions for a better cooler and smaller power supply given the lack of big gpu. Hope this is helpful if anyone had a similar build in mind. Once I go ahead with it I can post back with any issues I had. Thanks again for reading and the good info here.
m
l
!