Sign in with
Your question

My computer crashes when graphics drivers are enabled

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 25, 2012 9:33:25 PM

My video card was working well until moved my computer components into a haf 912 recently as i have
have plans to upgrade my gpu to a xfx 6870 and it would not fit in my tiny old acer case.
And not long after that i began to encounter problems such as "bsod" or "not optimum mode recommended mode 1680x1050"..

i have a q6600 @ stock on a p5kpl-cm motherboard along with a Kingston 2gb ddr2 partnered with an acer oem memory 2gb ddr2. my graphics card is a sapphire radeon 4830 powered by pcp&c 430w psu. additionally i also have a harddrive and an optical drive. my current operating system is windows 7 ultimate 32 bit but i also have a legitimate acer oem windows vista 64bit which i have tried reinstalling to no avail.

at first i thought it was my samsung sync master 2603w monitor as it previously began shutting on and off on its own randomly and i would recieve to what seems to be radio conversations through my speakers. its very wierd. but when i tried it on our 50 inch samsung tv downstairs and i still get the same crash so i am assuming that it isnt my monitor.

i was wearing an anti static wriskstrap the whole time, although I do recall scratching
my motherboard with a needle when i was trying to remove a plastic cap holding the
stock back plate as i have also replaced my old heatsink with a cm hyper 212 plus

i assumed that scratching my motherboard with a needle was the source of the problem but when i disable my graphics card driver through the device manager, everything runs smoothly with no crashes of any kind. But as soon as i enable my graphics driver, it can run for about 5 minutes or so until it crashes or just blanks out for the message "not optimum mode, recommended mode 1680x1050 60ghz". It would then reboot on its own, or i would have to reboot it forcefully.

Ive tried to reinstall both windows vista and windows 7. I used driver sweeper a couple of times as well as trying the older versions of drivers available for my graphics card.

any ideas of a solution?
which of the components do i need to replace?

i have also obtained windows 7 crash files, i can upload them upon request

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 00000000
BCP2: 856F5024
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\042212-30981-01.dmp
C:\Users\fmb\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-40373-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0...

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

thaanxxx~!
Anonymous
April 25, 2012 9:43:52 PM

remove your current display drivers. use driver sweeper in safe mode to clean up all other parts of the old display driver.
http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html

get the latest drivers for your card and install.

keep needles away from you motherboard :) 
May 9, 2012 4:38:59 AM

i think i may have damaged my graphics card when i used a vacuum as well as an old toothbrush to clean it... i am currently using the on board display on my motherboard and everything is running stable with the display drivers enabled. :sol: 

thanxxxx for the input
!