My computer crashes when graphics drivers are enabled

My video card was working well until moved my computer components into a haf 912 recently as i have
have plans to upgrade my gpu to a xfx 6870 and it would not fit in my tiny old acer case.
And not long after that i began to encounter problems such as "bsod" or "not optimum mode recommended mode 1680x1050"..

i have a q6600 @ stock on a p5kpl-cm motherboard along with a Kingston 2gb ddr2 partnered with an acer oem memory 2gb ddr2. my graphics card is a sapphire radeon 4830 powered by pcp&c 430w psu. additionally i also have a harddrive and an optical drive. my current operating system is windows 7 ultimate 32 bit but i also have a legitimate acer oem windows vista 64bit which i have tried reinstalling to no avail.

at first i thought it was my samsung sync master 2603w monitor as it previously began shutting on and off on its own randomly and i would recieve to what seems to be radio conversations through my speakers. its very wierd. but when i tried it on our 50 inch samsung tv downstairs and i still get the same crash so i am assuming that it isnt my monitor.

i was wearing an anti static wriskstrap the whole time, although I do recall scratching
my motherboard with a needle when i was trying to remove a plastic cap holding the
stock back plate as i have also replaced my old heatsink with a cm hyper 212 plus

i assumed that scratching my motherboard with a needle was the source of the problem but when i disable my graphics card driver through the device manager, everything runs smoothly with no crashes of any kind. But as soon as i enable my graphics driver, it can run for about 5 minutes or so until it crashes or just blanks out for the message "not optimum mode, recommended mode 1680x1050 60ghz". It would then reboot on its own, or i would have to reboot it forcefully.

Ive tried to reinstall both windows vista and windows 7. I used driver sweeper a couple of times as well as trying the older versions of drivers available for my graphics card.

any ideas of a solution?
which of the components do i need to replace?

i have also obtained windows 7 crash files, i can upload them upon request

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 00000000
BCP2: 856F5024
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\042212-30981-01.dmp
C:\Users\fmb\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-40373-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

thaanxxx~!
2 answers Last reply
More about computer crashes graphics drivers enabled
  1. remove your current display drivers. use driver sweeper in safe mode to clean up all other parts of the old display driver.
    http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html

get the latest drivers for your card and install.

keep needles away from you motherboard :)
  2. i think i may have damaged my graphics card when i used a vacuum as well as an old toothbrush to clean it... i am currently using the on board display on my motherboard and everything is running stable with the display drivers enabled. :sol:

thanxxxx for the input
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Computer Graphics