Username validation/case-sensitivity

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win32.programmer.kernel,microsoft.public.win32.programmer.networks,microsoft.public.win32.programmer.ui,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Please excuse the cross-posting for those of you have access to the prinate
newsgroups...

Hi all,

I'm wondering if it's possible to force users to enter their username in
uppercase when they are logging on, with an error message that appears if
this isn't the case? I have a third party application (I know, I know...)
that won't work seamlessly unless this information is entered in uppercase.
I can work around this, but it's not as nice as when a username is passed in
uppercase; when this happens the application behaves brilliantly. When the
username is entered in lower/title case then the application needs the user
to reauthenticate because it doesn't recognise the username as being the
same as the one that it has stored. Unfortunately it's also impossible to
recode the 3rd party application.

I have read a little about modifiying the GINA, but I'm not sure if this is
the right path or not? Are there any links on where this has been done
before, or on how it may be possible to achieve this. I have access to all
SDKs etc, so any help or advice is appreciated!

Cheers,
Katherine

"Katherine Coombs" <katherine_NOSPAMcoombs@PLEASEbigpond.com> wrote in
message news:OpJp5GmEFHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Please excuse the cross-posting for those of you have access to the
prinate
> newsgroups...
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering if it's possible to force users to enter their username in
> uppercase when they are logging on, with an error message that appears if
> this isn't the case? I have a third party application (I know, I know...)
> that won't work seamlessly unless this information is entered in
uppercase.
> I can work around this, but it's not as nice as when a username is passed
in
> uppercase; when this happens the application behaves brilliantly. When
the
> username is entered in lower/title case then the application needs the
user
> to reauthenticate because it doesn't recognise the username as being the
> same as the one that it has stored. Unfortunately it's also impossible to
> recode the 3rd party application.
>
> I have read a little about modifiying the GINA, but I'm not sure if this
is
> the right path or not? Are there any links on where this has been done
> before, or on how it may be possible to achieve this. I have access to
all
> SDKs etc, so any help or advice is appreciated!
>
> Cheers,
> Katherine

A simple solution might be to insert setx.exe (Windows Resource
Kit) into the logon script so that it places an upper case version
of the user's logon name into the environment. All processes that
are launched later on will use the upper case version. This has
the advantage that you do not need to lean on the users to use
upper case characters.

I used my home-grown tool for translating the user name into
upper case but I'm sure there are numerous freeware versions
downloadable from various tool sites.