Last Check on 3930k Build for Motion Graphics

dbit

Honorable
May 13, 2012
I just wanted to run this build by the board one more time before I begin to purchase. Any and all advice and suggestions are welcomed.

A couple things to consider. I know some consider the Rampage Extreme to be overkill, but I'm going with it anyways for a variety of reasons. I know the Cosmos II is very big. Should I have any problem with the cable length of this power supply? And lastly, for some reasons asus doesn't have the QVL for memory on the Rampage IV Extreme listed on the website. Is there somewhere I can find this to verify the memory is approved? Should I seriously consider faster memory for OC'ing? I'm gonna OC, but not in an extreme fashion.

Ok, here are the specs again. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!

MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz

CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D14

RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Video: EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

HD: Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC (SSD) with Transfer Kit

(x3)Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MBCache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W

Case: COOLER MASTER COSMOS II

Solution
I know the Cosmos II is very big. Should I have any problem with the cable length of this power supply?

Good question - I'm not entirely sure - I know Corsair PSUs include cables that are pretty generous in length, you'll have to check the layout of the board to see how the connectors will go in.

And lastly, for some reasons asus doesn't have the QVL for memory on the Rampage IV Extreme listed on the website. Is there somewhere I can find this to verify the memory is approved?

That's very weird that there's no QVL - they usually have those on all motherboards. As long as it meets the voltage and timing specifications in the specifications it should work.

Should I seriously consider faster memory for OC'ing? I'm gonna...

g-unit1111

Titan
I know the Cosmos II is very big. Should I have any problem with the cable length of this power supply?

Good question - I'm not entirely sure - I know Corsair PSUs include cables that are pretty generous in length, you'll have to check the layout of the board to see how the connectors will go in.

And lastly, for some reasons asus doesn't have the QVL for memory on the Rampage IV Extreme listed on the website. Is there somewhere I can find this to verify the memory is approved?

That's very weird that there's no QVL - they usually have those on all motherboards. As long as it meets the voltage and timing specifications in the specifications it should work.

Should I seriously consider faster memory for OC'ing? I'm gonna OC, but not in an extreme fashion.

No - that will be a waste as you won't notice the speed difference. By default your motherboard runs the lowest speeds and timings it can handle and going over the stock speeds has the potential to be disastrous.

Ok, here are the specs again. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!

That looks pretty good - nothing I would change.

Solution
the only thing i would change is the hard drive. the barracuda xt i heard is a hard drive with 5 platters which means that it is more likely to fail. id suggest getting a new regular barracuda 2tb. the new seagate drives use 1tb per platter density.

if you really need 6tb of storage, just get 2 3tb drives.

dbit

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Thanks for the advice on the drives TheBigTroll! I'll look into this.

G-Unit, you've been very helpful through this process and I want to thank you for this! One thing that I noticed is that that ares low profile memory has a CL of 10. I've heard in some other forums that this is possibly too slow. Can you render an opinion on this? I'm trying to finalize things and thought I was close to locked down, but this now has me spooked. I'm nervous about going with bigger ram with heat fins with the Noctua Cooler being so big. I'm thinking about the Hyper Evo 212 instead for the clearance, although I don't know if this solves the issue or not! Any advice is appreciated on the CL 10 thing!

g-unit1111

Titan

No problem.

I'm not entirely sure about the CL 10 thing - if it's too slow your motherboard will just default to the lowest rating it can handle.

The Noctua cooler is big but you need low profile RAM like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231549

dbit

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Hmm, I know, and that's CL 8, but I needed a 4 stick 32g kit to start cause I'm going to upgrade to 64 in the next year. Seems I may be asking too much. Do you think the hyperevo is small enough to use non low-profile ram, or still risky?

g-unit1111

Titan

Maybe try this then: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233304

Your fan will require use of low profile RAM no matter the size of the heat sink - the heat sinks on the Dominator are way too tall, you will not be able to use anything but a liquid cooler if you get one. You're better off going with the D14 and low profile RAM like what I linked to.

dbit

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Cool, It seems like all the low profile is C10 at 32gig kits. I'm doing a little research, but I don't think there's much I can do here. I'm reading some that low latency is more important for gaming rather than rendering, and also that latency at higher clock speeds is less important, that cl10 at 1600 can equal cl 7 at 1066. Guess I'll most likely have to live with this.

Thanks again for the help!