Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should I keep it or send it back? [Case]

Last response: in Components
October 24, 2012 7:55:50 PM

I got my NZXT 210 Source case today, but a few days ago I was told it's obsolete. Should I send it back to Amazon, which they'll take 18$ out of my 40$ refund and it'll take a week to get there. Or is it worth it to get a new case like the 302 or Haf 912?

I have very overclockable parts and want to get a bit out of them. (I also ordered two 120mm fans with it, bring it to a total of three 120mm fans)

3570k /w Evo
Atx mobo
Semi-Modular PSU

More about : send back case

a c 121 ) Power supply
October 24, 2012 8:06:18 PM

A case, obsolete? If you like it enough to have ordered it in the first place, and it fits your parts, there's no reason to send it back, and the wasted time and $18 are reasons NOT to send it back.
m
l
October 24, 2012 8:06:33 PM

Who cares if its obsolete. Cases come and go like the rest of the PC parts world. It doesn't mean its not a good case. My two favorite cases are way obsolete- a modded Falcon Northwest Coolermaster case and a Coolermaster CSX Stacker. They are still some of the best cases ever made and I will probably never get rid of them.
m
l
Related resources
October 24, 2012 8:09:07 PM

get the corsair 200r, just make sure you take out the preinstalled micro atx motherboard mount thing, i dont really see how a case can become obsolete? but the corsair 200r or bitfenix shinobi window or haf 912 would be better choices then it anyway
m
l

Best solution

October 24, 2012 8:15:19 PM

Only thing that some cases do not have that I think could possibly render them "obsolete" in the absolute loosest sense of the word, would be that some do not have front panel connectors for USB 3.0. Otherwise there would have to be some major hardware changes across all manufacturers (like a new form factor) that have not happened recently and do not seem to be in the near future.
October 24, 2012 8:15:24 PM

I see. So might as well make do with it, because returning it just because it wasn't "The best choice" isn't a good reason. Thank you gentlemen.
m
l
October 24, 2012 8:17:12 PM

The only thing the Source 210 is missing is USB 3.0 on the front of the case. I don't think that's worth returning it for.
m
l
October 24, 2012 8:20:16 PM

If I REALLY need to use the Usb 3.0, I could just use the back of the case, right?

Alrighty, thanks for your quick and concise answers everyone. :) 

m
l
October 24, 2012 8:21:11 PM

Best answer selected by Jeffdom55.
m
l
October 24, 2012 8:23:15 PM

You can always get a 3.5 or 5.25 bay adapter with usb 3.0 ports on it.
m
l
October 24, 2012 8:24:51 PM

maestro0428 said:
Who cares if its obsolete. Cases come and go like the rest of the PC parts world. It doesn't mean its not a good case. My two favorite cases are way obsolete- a modded Falcon Northwest Coolermaster case and a Coolermaster CSX Stacker. They are still some of the best cases ever made and I will probably never get rid of them.

That info about pc parts coming anf going is FALES!!! The PSU is almost never upgrade cuz if you have a 1000w psu its here to stay only the connecters change in which there is adapters
m
l
October 24, 2012 8:35:50 PM

Yes, your MOBO likely has rear USB 3.0 ports, many "older" cases do not have a front panel connector for USB 3.0 that plugs into the MOBO header. They now have a cable that plugs into the MOBO header and hooks onto one of the rear PCI slot covers. I had looked into a header to usb 3.0 "plug" and the only one available at the time gave you two female ports out of the header but the cables for em were like 6in, so you had to plug everything internally.
m
l
October 24, 2012 8:42:33 PM

huh?
The only actual thing to consider about cases is weather your gfx card fits in it and if the psu is down or up.
All the rest, well you can pay that 18$ to fix. Front bays, extra fans, airflow corrections etc.
m
l
October 24, 2012 8:43:56 PM

Perhaps this question warrents for another thread, but what advantages are there over 2.0? Also, I doubt a keyboard/Mouse would take advantage of 3.0, right?

(Checked, and I have two 3.0 ports on the mobo)
m
l
October 25, 2012 2:23:58 PM

You won't see any difference with a mouse or keyboard in USB 3.0, it is faster when transferring data across it (from an external HDD or USB stick that are 3.0 capable, devices that depend on transfer speed, mice and keyboard input was and likely will never be "too much" for USB 2.0).
m
l
!