Graphic card temperature??

star293

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
hi so i received my radeon 7870 today and i overclocked it to 1150 core clock /1350 memory clock and the temperature stays at 79 celcius when i turn on msi kombustor. Is this a safe temperature? And other people were able to overclock upto 1200 but when i change my core clock to 1200, the screen freezes.. How come mine can't overclock higher :(?

this is the model of my radeon 7870

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121624

When overclocking it's one thing to increase the core clock speed by just making an adjustment with a slider bar and that' going to be good up to a certian speed but then you have to add some voltage along with the speed increase to make the gpu stable. The more you increase the more that some voltage is needed. Also not all gpu's are created equal and everybody will get a different high point where it will stop and can't go any further. Another thing is you have to go up slowly and not with just punching in a number because that's what other people got. With overclocking you have to do it in steps and it might take some time to get a stable overclock.