Replacing XP Notepad under SP2?

Hi
For years now, when reformatting my machine, I've been replacing the
Win XP Pro Notepad with the Win98SE one. This is because the '98 one
allows me to dump text into it then cut it out again, removing any
hidden formating imposed by various other Word Processors. It works
great under SP1 but not under SP2. Even with all the added SP2
security that I know of turned off, I'm unable to replace the XP
notepad. It appears to replace (no 'can't do' msg) but doesn't
actually do so.

Can someone help me with a fix for this?

Thanks :)
Fumble

Fumble wrote:

> Hi
> For years now, when reformatting my machine, I've been replacing the
> Win XP Pro Notepad with the Win98SE one. This is because the '98 one
> allows me to dump text into it then cut it out again, removing any
> hidden formating imposed by various other Word Processors. It works
> great under SP1 but not under SP2. Even with all the added SP2
> security that I know of turned off, I'm unable to replace the XP
> notepad. It appears to replace (no 'can't do' msg) but doesn't
> actually do so.
>
> Can someone help me with a fix for this?

Well, doesn't XP Notepad work the same way? I've just pasted some
formatted text from a website into it, the formatting is removed, and I
then have pure plain text. Maybe you confused it with Wordpad?

Holger

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

You are experiencing the 'self-healing' capabilities of Windows XP. (Nothing
to do with SP2 for that matter)
Whenever XP detects that (according to MS) 'vital' system files are replaced
by 'whatever' it automatically puts back the original version of that file
in it's rightfull place in the system. (This happens virtually
instantaneously).
Notepad is considered one such file.
XP has a hidden folder called \system32\dllcache (anywhare from 230-250 MB
and up in size) containing copies of all those 'vital' files and serving
them up when needed.
So at the very least you would have replace both copies in order to get
'your' version of the truth.

hth

george

"george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You are experiencing the 'self-healing' capabilities of Windows XP.
> (Nothing to do with SP2 for that matter)
> Whenever XP detects that (according to MS) 'vital' system files are
> replaced by 'whatever' it automatically puts back the original
> version of that file in it's rightfull place in the system. (This
> happens virtually instantaneously).
> Notepad is considered one such file.
> XP has a hidden folder called \system32\dllcache (anywhare from
> 230-250 MB and up in size) containing copies of all those 'vital'
> files and serving them up when needed.
> So at the very least you would have replace both copies in order to
> get 'your' version of the truth.

I am having the same problem, trying to replace notepad.exe with a
different text editor, the one I like will read the text to me with a
text to speech engine. The thing is, I already knew about the
dllcache - I searched for all copies of notepad.exe on the local drive
and deleted them all. I turned on advanced options, told search to
look in system folders and to search hidden files and folders and
subfolders. I deleted anyfile that had "notepad" in it but after
replacing notepad, the old version still comes back in seconds.

This is a fresh install of xp pro sp1. I can't figure out where it is
copying the file from and I'd really like to get rid of it. If anyone
has a clue, please speak up.

cmsix

"cmsix" <cmsix@cmsix.com> wrote in message

> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> You are experiencing the 'self-healing' capabilities of Windows XP.
>> (Nothing to do with SP2 for that matter)
>> Whenever XP detects that (according to MS) 'vital' system files are
>> replaced by 'whatever' it automatically puts back the original
>> version of that file in it's rightfull place in the system. (This
>> happens virtually instantaneously).
>> Notepad is considered one such file.
>> XP has a hidden folder called \system32\dllcache (anywhare from
>> 230-250 MB and up in size) containing copies of all those 'vital'
>> files and serving them up when needed.
>> So at the very least you would have replace both copies in order to
>> get 'your' version of the truth.
>
> I am having the same problem, trying to replace notepad.exe with a
> different text editor, the one I like will read the text to me with
> a text to speech engine. The thing is, I already knew about the
> dllcache - I searched for all copies of notepad.exe on the local
> drive and deleted them all. I turned on advanced options, told
> search to look in system folders and to search hidden files and
> folders and subfolders. I deleted anyfile that had "notepad" in it
> but after replacing notepad, the old version still comes back in
> seconds.
>
> This is a fresh install of xp pro sp1. I can't figure out where it
> is copying the file from and I'd really like to get rid of it. If
> anyone has a clue, please speak up.

Nevermind, I fixed it by sending my file to the dllcache. XP then did
the replacement for me. I still can't figure out where it was getting
the original notepad.exe when I was trying to delete them all.

cmsix

> cmsix
>

>> hth
>>
>> george
>>
>> "Fumble" <fumble@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>> For years now, when reformatting my machine, I've been replacing
>>> the
>>> Win XP Pro Notepad with the Win98SE one. This is because the '98
>>> one
>>> allows me to dump text into it then cut it out again, removing any
>>> hidden formating imposed by various other Word Processors. It
>>> works
>>> great under SP1 but not under SP2. Even with all the added SP2
>>> security that I know of turned off, I'm unable to replace the XP
>>> notepad. It appears to replace (no 'can't do' msg) but doesn't
>>> actually do so.
>>>
>>> Can someone help me with a fix for this?
>>>
>>> Thanks :)
>>> Fumble

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

> "cmsix" <cmsix@cmsix.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> You are experiencing the 'self-healing' capabilities of Windows XP.
>>> (Nothing to do with SP2 for that matter)
>>> Whenever XP detects that (according to MS) 'vital' system files are
>>> replaced by 'whatever' it automatically puts back the original version
>>> of that file in it's rightfull place in the system. (This happens
>>> virtually instantaneously).
>>> Notepad is considered one such file.
>>> XP has a hidden folder called \system32\dllcache (anywhare from 230-250
>>> MB and up in size) containing copies of all those 'vital' files and
>>> serving them up when needed.
>>> So at the very least you would have replace both copies in order to get
>>> 'your' version of the truth.
>>
>> I am having the same problem, trying to replace notepad.exe with a
>> different text editor, the one I like will read the text to me with a
>> text to speech engine. The thing is, I already knew about the dllcache -
>> I searched for all copies of notepad.exe on the local drive and deleted
>> them all. I turned on advanced options, told search to look in system
>> folders and to search hidden files and folders and subfolders. I deleted
>> anyfile that had "notepad" in it but after replacing notepad, the old
>> version still comes back in seconds.
>>
>> This is a fresh install of xp pro sp1. I can't figure out where it is
>> copying the file from and I'd really like to get rid of it. If anyone has
>> a clue, please speak up.
>
> Nevermind, I fixed it by sending my file to the dllcache. XP then did the
> replacement for me. I still can't figure out where it was getting the
> original notepad.exe when I was trying to delete them all.
>
> cmsix

Maybe from the install location, if you happen to havedone the install from
a copy of i386 held on your harddisk.
SFC (System File Checker) 'knows' about the originating location and would
be capable of 'healing' from there.

george

> "cmsix" <cmsix@cmsix.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "cmsix" <cmsix@cmsix.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I am having the same problem, trying to replace notepad.exe with a
>>> different text editor, the one I like will read the text to me
>>> with a text to speech engine. The thing is, I already knew about
>>> the dllcache - I searched for all copies of notepad.exe on the
>>> local drive and deleted them all. I turned on advanced options,
>>> told search to look in system folders and to search hidden files
>>> and folders and subfolders. I deleted anyfile that had "notepad"
>>> in it but after replacing notepad, the old version still comes
>>> back in seconds.
>>>
>>> This is a fresh install of xp pro sp1. I can't figure out where it
>>> is copying the file from and I'd really like to get rid of it. If
>>> anyone has a clue, please speak up.
>>
>> Nevermind, I fixed it by sending my file to the dllcache. XP then
>> did the replacement for me. I still can't figure out where it was
>> getting the original notepad.exe when I was trying to delete them
>> all.
>>
>> cmsix
>>
> Maybe from the install location, if you happen to havedone the
> install from a copy of i386 held on your harddisk.
> SFC (System File Checker) 'knows' about the originating location and
> would be capable of 'healing' from there.

No, I did it from the CD. I guess it is another undocumented feature
for me.

cmsix