Will a vga to hdmi cable work ?

tracker45

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
so my pc monitor only has vga input

my graphics card has hdmi input

would a cable off ebay connected up to my pc show a display ?

it's just that it is easier to plug in hdmi cables

rajyohanson

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
So your monitor is VGA only, and your video card has ONLY HDMI out, or you would just like to use it? They usually pair a DVI with the HDMI. :)

G

DVI is better quality and resolution.

though answer your question, you could.

rajyohanson

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Oh ok, I see. Yes, you will get display from a cable with different ends. They sell a DVI to HDMI cable at places like BestBuy, and of course eBay / Amazon / Newegg has a slew of them. Good luck!

Fire Lancer

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
HDMI uses the DVI-D video signal. DVI-A is the same as VGA. Generally DVI graphics outputs (both dual and single link) output both DVI-D and DVI-A, hence you can get the cheap DVI->VGA, DVI->HDMI converters (minus audio), and HDMI->DVI-D.

Not entirely sure how HDMI to VGA (or VGA to HDMI as the title suggests?) without an active adapter could work (wasn't aware HDMI had some standard thing like the Display Port DP++ thing for passive DVI/HDMI adapters, and even then you need active to get VGA? But looking around a found some people selling cables?)

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Do you like unplug your monitor 20 times a day? What's the point of getting a cable that is 'easy' to unplug. Not that a DVI cable is that hard either.