Need Review and Advice on $2391 Gaming System

AndreH

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Hello, guys.

This is my first build ever, so I'm very excited for the feedback on how balanced the whole system is. I want to know, if anything in the system is an overkill/bottleneck, and if something should absolutely not be in there and be replaced.

Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: This week (the closer the better)

Budget Range: Around 14.000 DKK (2.391 USD) incl. VAT

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, listening to music, surfing the internet, watching movies

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, headset

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Dustinhome.dk, Komplett.dk

Parts Preferences: Nvidia Graphics Card, Intel Processor, Z77 Mobo.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I'm thinking of buying the Benq XL2420T 24" 120Hz Monitor. Please help me pick a Z77 Motherboard.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Include a list of any parts you have already selected with
descriptively labeled links for parts.

Case Cooler Master HAF X Black
CPU Intel Core i7 3770k Ivy Bridge
CPU Cooler Corsair H100 Hydro CPU Cooler
RAM Corsair 16GB DDR3 Vengeance (2x8GB)
PSU Corsair AX 850W Modular PSU
GPU Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC
SSD OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD
HDD Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB
ODD Sony DVD-R/RW 24x SATA
OS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit OEM
Additional Cooling/Bling Cooler Master Megaflow Silent Fan 20mm LED Red x3

g-unit1111

Titan
For a gaming system - the 3770K and 16GB of RAM will be useless, you'll want the i5-3750K and 8GB of RAM.

Switch the H100 for a Noctua D14, and switch your SSD with an OCZ Vertex 4, and I'd say that's it. Also make sure your RAM is low profile.

If you want a motherboard suggestion I'd heavily suggest the EVGA Z77 FTW, that should fit in a HAF X. If that's not available I'd say go with the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H.

AndreH

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Alright, sounds good, g-unit. Thanks for the quick reply!

So no current game will gain anything from the 3770K or 16GB of RAM?

(If it's of any importance, I'll be playing World of Warcraft, Diablo III, Starcraft II, MW3, BF3, League of Legends, and DOTA II on the system)

no gain from using a i5 vs a i7

for the motherboard, the z77x-ud5h has tons of great features.\

for the case, if you dont need that much space (you wont need that much space if you put a regular atx mobo), you can get a haf xm. the haf xm looks exactly like a haf x (i think the xm looks better)

g-unit1111

Titan

No for gaming you won't benefit from hyperthreading and you won't use all 16GB of RAM.

I think I also agree about the case - the HAF X is gigantic and you don't really need the extra room - a HAF 932 is 1/2 the size and will still accommodate the biggest motherboards, GPUs, and anything else you can throw at it.

AndreH

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

I can't find the i5-3750k on any danish stores. Is it a typo for the i5-3570k?

AndreH

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

I don't know about the case. I did pick the HAF X exactly because of what it is. It was never for any practical reason. I want a big, black, bad ass case, which looks awesome with red LED lights in the front, top and side, plus the window in the side.

Ofc, I don't have any real comprehension of what the size of it really is, but if I do decide to pick the HAF X over the XM and 932, I wouldn't be making a decision that would trip up the system, would I?

AndreH

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

Alright, that's exactly what I need to know. Thank you!

I will see both cases in real life, before deciding. So I won't end up with a case, that is way bigger than I thought!

Is the i5 3570K Ivy a fine alternative to the original i5 3750k?

AndreH

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

Thanks for clarifying that, Sephy.

About the cpu cooler: Wouldn't the H100 benefit the system more than the Noctua D14 (it's a small price difference, and the H100 can fit in the XM and 932 too, right?)

g-unit1111

Titan

No - a strong air fan will always be safer than a closed liquid block like the H100 would be.

Is the i5 3570K Ivy a fine alternative to the original i5 3750k?

Yeah that was a typo. :lol:

AndreH

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

Alright, and the Noctua D14 will look awesome with a 14mm LED fan!

These RAM seem to be low profile, right? Corsair 8GB DDR3 Vengeance

AndreH

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Seems like we have a complete system then!

CPU Intel Core i5 3570K Ivy Bridge
Cooler Noctua NH-D14
RAM Corsair 8GB DDR3 Vengeance
MOBO Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
GPU Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC
PSU Corsair AX 850W
SSD OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
HDD Western Digital Caviar Green
ODD Sony DVD-R/RW 24x Sata Black
OS Microsoft Windows 7 64-Bit OEM

And the undecided case:
HAF XM

Total costs: 12.491 DKK

Money saved and an effective system made. Thank you such much, G-Unit, TheBigTroll and Sephy! Words can't describe my gratitude! :D

P.S. If I do pick another motherboard, as long as it is a Z77 chip, I'll be more or less fine, right?

Thank you so much!!!!