Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can anyone recommend a game that's like this...

Tags:
  • Console Gaming
  • Games
  • Video
  • Xbox
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 12:47:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Hi all, looking for recommendations of a game that fits some or all of the
following kind of categories:

First-person
Adventure based
Preferably no (or minimal) weapons, action, shooting or blasting aliens
Lets you just walk around and explore the environment
No time limit pressure or scores to beat, just chill out and soak up the
atmosphere
Based in the real world
Atmospheric
Perhaps chilling, mythical or supernatural but not necessary
Provides 'escapism' in a realistic setting
Preferably set in the present day, or 19th-20th century
Time Travel would be a real plus

So many games today are based around collecting objects, shooting people, or
beat 'me up, and those that are similar to the above like Sims are cartoony,
not realistic. I'd love to switch on my TV, switch off the rest of my life,
and just explore a totally new world without having to 'do' anything -- and
one that totally absorbs me, so that I want to go back to it time and time
again.

Let me know guys 'n' girls, cheers!

Phil

More about : recommend game

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 12:47:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Phillip Brown wrote:

> Hi all, looking for recommendations of a game that fits some or all of the
> following kind of categories:
>
> First-person
> Adventure based
> Preferably no (or minimal) weapons, action, shooting or blasting aliens
> Lets you just walk around and explore the environment
> No time limit pressure or scores to beat, just chill out and soak up the
> atmosphere
> Based in the real world
> Atmospheric
> Perhaps chilling, mythical or supernatural but not necessary
> Provides 'escapism' in a realistic setting
> Preferably set in the present day, or 19th-20th century
> Time Travel would be a real plus
>
> So many games today are based around collecting objects, shooting people, or
> beat 'me up, and those that are similar to the above like Sims are cartoony,
> not realistic. I'd love to switch on my TV, switch off the rest of my life,
> and just explore a totally new world without having to 'do' anything -- and
> one that totally absorbs me, so that I want to go back to it time and time
> again.
>
> Let me know guys 'n' girls, cheers!
>
> Phil

Hmmmmmmmm.....Syberia maybe?

http://games.teamxbox.com/xbox/746/Syberia/

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"Do not eat iPod shuffle."
- Apple Computers
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 12:47:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Phillip Brown" <pbrown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:R1eJd.18091$GG1.13323@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hi all, looking for recommendations of a game that fits some or all of the
> following kind of categories:
>
> First-person
> Adventure based
> Preferably no (or minimal) weapons, action, shooting or blasting aliens
> Lets you just walk around and explore the environment
> No time limit pressure or scores to beat, just chill out and soak up the
> atmosphere
> Based in the real world
> Atmospheric
> Perhaps chilling, mythical or supernatural but not necessary
> Provides 'escapism' in a realistic setting
> Preferably set in the present day, or 19th-20th century
> Time Travel would be a real plus
>
> So many games today are based around collecting objects, shooting people,
or
> beat 'me up, and those that are similar to the above like Sims are
cartoony,
> not realistic. I'd love to switch on my TV, switch off the rest of my
life,
> and just explore a totally new world without having to 'do' anything --
and
> one that totally absorbs me, so that I want to go back to it time and time
> again.
>
> Let me know guys 'n' girls, cheers!
>
> Phil


Echo Night fits your description perfectly...only problem is that it is for
the original PlayStation, not Xbox. There was a follow-up, but it is a PS2
exclusive.

Other than that, sounds like you want a 3D version of "Myst"...
Related resources
January 25, 2005 12:59:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 24 Jan
2005 21:47:29 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.games.video.xbox,
yawatina tan reek esk "Phillip Brown" <pbrown@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano
es bono tan el:

>Hi all, looking for recommendations of a game that fits some or all of the
>following kind of categories:

Second Life? Not sure if that has a first person viewpoint though.
http://secondlife.com/

Not for the Xbox though, obviously.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
|- Gaming Diary - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/
|- My computer runs at 3.5MHz and I'm proud of that
|- Hurry up and go touch it.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:01:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Phillip Brown" <pbrown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:R1eJd.18091$GG1.13323@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hi all, looking for recommendations of a game that fits some or all of the
> following kind of categories:
>
> First-person
> Adventure based
> Preferably no (or minimal) weapons, action, shooting or blasting aliens
> Lets you just walk around and explore the environment
> No time limit pressure or scores to beat, just chill out and soak up the
> atmosphere
> Based in the real world
> Atmospheric
> Perhaps chilling, mythical or supernatural but not necessary
> Provides 'escapism' in a realistic setting
> Preferably set in the present day, or 19th-20th century
> Time Travel would be a real plus
>
> So many games today are based around collecting objects, shooting people,
> or beat 'me up, and those that are similar to the above like Sims are
> cartoony, not realistic. I'd love to switch on my TV, switch off the rest
> of my life, and just explore a totally new world without having to 'do'
> anything -- and one that totally absorbs me, so that I want to go back to
> it time and time again.
>
> Let me know guys 'n' girls, cheers!
>
> Phil
>

Margret! Margret! Have we got any xbox games that fit the following
catogories...

Sorry i couldent resist.

Gordy
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:01:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

MYST III would fit most of your interest.

Cheers,
PQ
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:11:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"BelPowerslave" <belpowerslave@ev1.net> wrote in message
news:41F56EB3.C6578BE7@ev1.net...

> Hmmmmmmmm.....Syberia maybe?
>
> http://games.teamxbox.com/xbox/746/Syberia/

Thanks Bel, nice looking game. Some great screens at
http://tinyurl.com/5ll9d. Sadly it doesn't appear to have been released on
Xbox in the UK -- even amazon don't have it. And Syberia II is apparently
hard to follow if you didn't play the original, along with having some
annoying features and not be first person.

Still a contender though, cheers!

Phil
January 25, 2005 1:12:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Phillip Brown" <pbrown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:R1eJd.18091$GG1.13323@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Adventure based
> Lets you just walk around and explore the environment
> No time limit pressure or scores to beat, just chill out and soak up the
> atmosphere
> Atmospheric
> Perhaps chilling, mythical or supernatural but not necessary
> Time Travel would be a real plus

Fable?

Satisfies a lot of your points (see above).

Neil
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:31:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"deKay" <andyk@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote in message
news:iprav05gehfuh85ipse4cdtkc9rtrt6gq0@4ax.com...
> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 24
> Jan
> 2005 21:47:29 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> uk.games.video.xbox,
> yawatina tan reek esk "Phillip Brown" <pbrown@hotmail.com> fornis do
> marikano
> es bono tan el:
>
>>Hi all, looking for recommendations of a game that fits some or all of the
>>following kind of categories:
>
> Second Life? Not sure if that has a first person viewpoint though.
> http://secondlife.com/
>
> Not for the Xbox though, obviously.

If only it was on Xbox! :(  I'd much rather play these games on the sofa
with the living room lights dimmed, than at my office desk. I guess the
publisher didn't think of that :-S

Phil
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:32:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Phyber Quest" <phyberquest@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:BE1AC002.D03B%phyberquest@yahoo.com...
> MYST III would fit most of your interest.

Thanks - looks good. I tried the original Myst about 10 years ago and found
it a bit static so I'm pleasently surprised to see this has 'free look'.
Will give it a try. I wonder if it has time travel...

Phil
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:37:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In article <JHeJd.18131$GG1.4796@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
pbrown@hotmail.com says...
> "Phyber Quest" <phyberquest@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:BE1AC002.D03B%phyberquest@yahoo.com...
> > MYST III would fit most of your interest.
>
> Thanks - looks good. I tried the original Myst about 10 years ago and found
> it a bit static so I'm pleasently surprised to see this has 'free look'.
> Will give it a try. I wonder if it has time travel...

If oyu can put up with some combat. Morrowind is prettty free roaming.
Pikeys of the Carribean also uses the Morrowind engine so that could be
worth a look.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:48:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Neil" <neilmw@yahoospammy.com> wrote in message
news:35la6dF4nssn7U1@individual.net...
>
> "Phillip Brown" <pbrown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:R1eJd.18091$GG1.13323@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Adventure based
>> Lets you just walk around and explore the environment
>> No time limit pressure or scores to beat, just chill out and soak up the
>> atmosphere
>> Atmospheric
>> Perhaps chilling, mythical or supernatural but not necessary
>> Time Travel would be a real plus
>
> Fable?
>
> Satisfies a lot of your points (see above).

Thanks, has great reviews. Seems to involve combat with cartoony graphics
though, but I'll definitately put it 'somewhere' on my list :) 

Phil
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:50:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In alt.games.video.xbox Phillip Brown <pbrown@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, looking for recommendations of a game that fits some or all of the
> following kind of categories:

> First-person
> Adventure based
> Preferably no (or minimal) weapons, action, shooting or blasting aliens
> Lets you just walk around and explore the environment
> No time limit pressure or scores to beat, just chill out and soak up the
> atmosphere
> Based in the real world
> Atmospheric
> Perhaps chilling, mythical or supernatural but not necessary
> Provides 'escapism' in a realistic setting
> Preferably set in the present day, or 19th-20th century
> Time Travel would be a real plus

Beyond Good & Evil comes close to many of your desires.

It's 1st and 3rd person (mainly 3rd), with an emphasis more on exploration
than on combat. There is combat, but most of it is pretty simple if you
ask me. There is, however, a lot of stealth in the game, meaning you'll
have to sneak by guards when they aren't looking. Requires you to study
their marching patterns, and move accordingly. There's also a great deal
of exploration you can do - both on foot, and using various vehicles. You
can even enter races to earn additional cash (the required races are easy
- the extra ones are just for bonus items.)

You play Jade, who runs an orphanage with her humanoid-pig partner (I
can't remember his name right now) Jade's also a part time photo
journalist and troubleshooter. During one mission, Jade gets involved
with a group trying to uncover a conpiracy that the so-called protectors
of your colony are actually kidnapping citizens for their own insidious
plans. You'll be required to infiltrate various facilities in order to
obtain photographic evidence to help the resistance's cause. You can also
use your camera to photograph new and rare species of animals you come
across for extra money and orbs. You use the orbs to purchase upgrades
for your vehicle.
January 25, 2005 1:54:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Phillip Brown" <pbrown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:R1eJd.18091$GG1.13323@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hi all, looking for recommendations of a game that fits some or all of the
> following kind of categories:

Myst III Exile I think is definitely what you would like and I think has
most that you list in what you want.
http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?pro...

You could probably get it cheaper elsewhere though.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:56:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Dog Bowl" <dogUNDERSCOREbowl@ntlFOODworld.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c5f892ce1b233809896e4@news.cable.ntlworld.com...
>
> If oyu can put up with some combat. Morrowind is prettty free roaming.
> Pikeys of the Carribean also uses the Morrowind engine so that could be
> worth a look.

Lol 'Pikeys'! Ta but too much combat in both of them, but I know they're
good. Keep 'em coming. Ideally I want something that reminds me of a game
I used to have on the Commodore 64 (!), I think called 'The Time Machine',
where you start in a space ship, and have to figure out how to get back to
your own time. I never could find it on any emulator sites, despite
laborious searches.

Phil
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:58:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:47:29 GMT, "Phillip Brown" <pbrown@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi all, looking for recommendations of a game that fits some or all of the
>following kind of categories:
>
>First-person
>Adventure based
>Preferably no (or minimal) weapons, action, shooting or blasting aliens
>Lets you just walk around and explore the environment
>No time limit pressure or scores to beat, just chill out and soak up the
>atmosphere
>Based in the real world
>Atmospheric
>Perhaps chilling, mythical or supernatural but not necessary
>Provides 'escapism' in a realistic setting
>Preferably set in the present day, or 19th-20th century
>Time Travel would be a real plus

Ummm, Myst is probably the only one that springs to mind.
--
neil h.
"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat." - John Lehman
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 2:00:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

> Beyond Good & Evil comes close to many of your desires.

Love the sneaking around elements, should've put that on my original list!
It could be a bit too action-packed for the relaxing escapism I have in mind
but I'll give it a second look.

www.wilddivine.com has caught my attention, but sadly not Xbox.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 2:03:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Beck" <my_bulkmail@REMOVEbtopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:ct3ub6$n75$1@titan.btinternet.com...
>
> "Phillip Brown" <pbrown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:R1eJd.18091$GG1.13323@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Hi all, looking for recommendations of a game that fits some or all of
>> the following kind of categories:
>
> Myst III Exile I think is definitely what you would like and I think has
> most that you list in what you want.
> http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?pro...

Thanks, it's now on my amazon wish list for my birthday :)  However, it
appears as though it could be boring. We'll see!

Phil
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 2:19:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Phillip Brown, did you really mean to say this?

>>Beyond Good & Evil comes close to many of your desires.
>
>
> Love the sneaking around elements, should've put that on my original list!
> It could be a bit too action-packed for the relaxing escapism I have in mind
> but I'll give it a second look.
>
It may not be exactly what you want, but BG&E is one of the best games
of this generation, and should definitely be bought and played through
at least once.

Tim (tm)
--
tim (at) economic-truth.co.uk
http://www.ugvm.org.uk - the uk.games.video.misc magazine
January 25, 2005 2:44:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Phillip Brown wrote:
>
> Hi all, looking for recommendations of a game that fits some or all of the
> following kind of categories:
>
> First-person
> Adventure based
> Preferably no (or minimal) weapons, action, shooting or blasting aliens
> Lets you just walk around and explore the environment
> No time limit pressure or scores to beat, just chill out and soak up the
> atmosphere
> Based in the real world
> Atmospheric
> Perhaps chilling, mythical or supernatural but not necessary
> Provides 'escapism' in a realistic setting
> Preferably set in the present day, or 19th-20th century
> Time Travel would be a real plus
>
> So many games today are based around collecting objects, shooting people, or
> beat 'me up, and those that are similar to the above like Sims are cartoony,
> not realistic. I'd love to switch on my TV, switch off the rest of my life,
> and just explore a totally new world without having to 'do' anything -- and
> one that totally absorbs me, so that I want to go back to it time and time
> again.

Shenmue II. To move you're in an over the shoulder view, but can enter a
first person view. There are no weapons. There are time pressures that
will cause the game to end, but it is months of game time. There are
also daily time limits, but that just causes you to go home and sleep.
It's based in the real world (Hong Kong and Kowloon) in the '80s.
There's tons of exploring the environment. Gamble, buy capsule toys,
race ducks, get a job. Or not. To get access to parts of the game (and
lose access to others), you do have to engage in the game's primary
objectives. But you can take your own sweet time.
And I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!, that Bel didn't mention it.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 4:48:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Ted" <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:41F58865.97204A1@nospam.com...
>
>
> Phillip Brown wrote:
>>
>> Hi all, looking for recommendations of a game that fits some or all of
>> the
>> following kind of categories:
>>
>> First-person
>> Adventure based
>> Preferably no (or minimal) weapons, action, shooting or blasting aliens
>> Lets you just walk around and explore the environment
>> No time limit pressure or scores to beat, just chill out and soak up the
>> atmosphere
>> Based in the real world
>> Atmospheric
>> Perhaps chilling, mythical or supernatural but not necessary
>> Provides 'escapism' in a realistic setting
>> Preferably set in the present day, or 19th-20th century
>> Time Travel would be a real plus
>>
>> So many games today are based around collecting objects, shooting people,
>> or
>> beat 'me up, and those that are similar to the above like Sims are
>> cartoony,
>> not realistic. I'd love to switch on my TV, switch off the rest of my
>> life,
>> and just explore a totally new world without having to 'do' anything --
>> and
>> one that totally absorbs me, so that I want to go back to it time and
>> time
>> again.
>
> Shenmue II. To move you're in an over the shoulder view, but can enter a
> first person view. There are no weapons. There are time pressures that
> will cause the game to end, but it is months of game time. There are
> also daily time limits, but that just causes you to go home and sleep.
> It's based in the real world (Hong Kong and Kowloon) in the '80s.
> There's tons of exploring the environment. Gamble, buy capsule toys,
> race ducks, get a job. Or not. To get access to parts of the game (and
> lose access to others), you do have to engage in the game's primary
> objectives. But you can take your own sweet time.
> And I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!, that Bel didn't mention it.

Shenmue II was the first game I thought of too. Definately worth a look.
Shame that the first game wasn't ported too, but at least you can watch a 15
minute video-clip with ingame graphics about what happened in the first
game, so you won't lose too much of the story at least. Only one of the best
games ever.

Tommy
January 25, 2005 4:48:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Tommy Stenberg wrote:
snip
> Shenmue II was the first game I thought of too. Definately worth a look.
> Shame that the first game wasn't ported too, but at least you can watch a 15
> minute video-clip with ingame graphics about what happened in the first
> game, so you won't lose too much of the story at least.
snip

In the US, the game comes with Shenmue the Movie, an extended DVD of the
first game that will bring anyone up to full speed on the first game.
Unfortunately, it totally fails to convey the greatness of the game...
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 11:01:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:48:12 GMT, "Phillip Brown" <pbrown@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Neil" <neilmw@yahoospammy.com> wrote in message
>news:35la6dF4nssn7U1@individual.net...
>>
>> "Phillip Brown" <pbrown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:R1eJd.18091$GG1.13323@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>>> Adventure based
>>> Lets you just walk around and explore the environment
>>> No time limit pressure or scores to beat, just chill out and soak up the
>>> atmosphere
>>> Atmospheric
>>> Perhaps chilling, mythical or supernatural but not necessary
>>> Time Travel would be a real plus
>>
>> Fable?
>>
>> Satisfies a lot of your points (see above).
>
>Thanks, has great reviews. Seems to involve combat with cartoony graphics
>though, but I'll definitately put it 'somewhere' on my list :) 
>
>Phil
>
its more fantasy than cartoony.
--

gamertag: chrisflynnuk
Live Line-up: RS3, RS3:BA, PGR2, Links04, SC:p T, Toca2, RSC2, MM3,
SWAT, MotoGP2, Burnout3, OutRun2(Demo), FSW
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 12:40:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Phillip Brown" <pbrown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:x2fJd.18162$GG1.3973@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> "Dog Bowl" <dogUNDERSCOREbowl@ntlFOODworld.com> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1c5f892ce1b233809896e4@news.cable.ntlworld.com...
> >
> > If oyu can put up with some combat. Morrowind is prettty free roaming.
> > Pikeys of the Carribean also uses the Morrowind engine so that could be
> > worth a look.
>
> Lol 'Pikeys'! Ta but too much combat in both of them, but I know they're
> good. Keep 'em coming. Ideally I want something that reminds me of a
game
> I used to have on the Commodore 64 (!), I think called 'The Time Machine',
> where you start in a space ship, and have to figure out how to get back to
> your own time. I never could find it on any emulator sites, despite
> laborious searches.

I remember that one. That had *a lot* of potential, but we never got past
the first level. We must have tried a hundred times.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 12:48:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

> > Phillip Brown wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all, looking for recommendations of a game that fits some or all of
> >> the
> >> following kind of categories:
> >>
> >> First-person
> >> Adventure based
> >> Preferably no (or minimal) weapons, action, shooting or blasting aliens
> >> Lets you just walk around and explore the environment
> >> No time limit pressure or scores to beat, just chill out and soak up
the
> >> atmosphere
> >> Based in the real world
> >> Atmospheric
> >> Perhaps chilling, mythical or supernatural but not necessary
> >> Provides 'escapism' in a realistic setting
> >> Preferably set in the present day, or 19th-20th century
> >> Time Travel would be a real plus
> >>
> >> So many games today are based around collecting objects, shooting
people,
> >> or
> >> beat 'me up, and those that are similar to the above like Sims are
> >> cartoony,
> >> not realistic. I'd love to switch on my TV, switch off the rest of my
> >> life,
> >> and just explore a totally new world without having to 'do' anything --
> >> and
> >> one that totally absorbs me, so that I want to go back to it time and
> >> time
> >> again.
> >
> > Shenmue II. To move you're in an over the shoulder view, but can enter a
> > first person view. There are no weapons. There are time pressures that
> > will cause the game to end, but it is months of game time. There are
> > also daily time limits, but that just causes you to go home and sleep.
> > It's based in the real world (Hong Kong and Kowloon) in the '80s.
> > There's tons of exploring the environment. Gamble, buy capsule toys,
> > race ducks, get a job. Or not. To get access to parts of the game (and
> > lose access to others), you do have to engage in the game's primary
> > objectives. But you can take your own sweet time.
> > And I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!, that Bel didn't mention it.
>
> Shenmue II was the first game I thought of too. Definately worth a look.
> Shame that the first game wasn't ported too, but at least you can watch a
15
> minute video-clip with ingame graphics about what happened in the first
> game, so you won't lose too much of the story at least. Only one of the
best
> games ever.

Yes. I totally agree. Shenmue I and II are two of the best games I've ever
played. Fantastic atmosphere. I wish a third chapter would be released soon.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 12:52:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Phillip Brown wrote:
> First-person
> Adventure based
> Preferably no (or minimal) weapons, action, shooting or blasting aliens
> Lets you just walk around and explore the environment
> No time limit pressure or scores to beat, just chill out and soak up the
> atmosphere
> Based in the real world
> Atmospheric
> Perhaps chilling, mythical or supernatural but not necessary
> Provides 'escapism' in a realistic setting
> Preferably set in the present day, or 19th-20th century

"Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon" is not much of a first-person game,
but it would seem to match all of your other requirements:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbx/brokenswo...

Tuomas
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 12:55:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Kramer" <cosmo@kramerica.com> wrote in message
news:%BnJd.5914$IW4.122685@news2.e.nsc.no...
>> I used to have on the Commodore 64 (!), I think called 'The Time
>> Machine',
>> where you start in a space ship, and have to figure out how to get back
>> to
>> your own time <oops that's wrong>. I never could find it on any emulator
>> sites, despite
>> laborious searches.
>
> I remember that one. That had *a lot* of potential, but we never got past
> the first level. We must have tried a hundred times.

Lol! Yeah, me too, I could never get off the ship. Guess what, after 2
hours searching, I just found it! It was published by Audiogenic and I
originally got it as part of a compilation that also included Alice in
Videoland.

Does this look like it?:
http://web.externet.hu/sk/c64/games/t/pics/timetrv.gif

If so, you can get it here:
http://web.externet.hu/sk/c64/games/t/t3.htm

Just use a C64 emulator (I recommend VICE) to load it and you're off!

I found a solution which I hope is for the same game, if you're still stuck
with your new mature brain powers!:

TIME TRAVELLER

SOLUTION (C64) by R.E. Smith

From the start...
E, D, GET SCREWDRIVER, GET LASER, N, FIX CABLES, DROP SCREWDRIVER, GET
TELEPORTER, CHARGE TELEPORTER, S, U, N, PULL CHAIR, EXAMINE CHAIR, N, PUSH
BUTTON, KEY 1890, STEP PLATFORM, GET KEY, TELE SPACESHIP, DROP LASER, KEY
2090,
STEP PLATFORM, W, UNLOCK PADLOCK, DROP KEY, E, TELE SPACESHIP, KEY 1890,
STEP
PLATFORM, W, OPEN DOOR, N, GET ROPE, E, E, MOVE ANVIL, GET HACKSAW, W, W, S,
E,
TELE SPACESHIP, S, S, S, SAW CHAIN, OPEN TOOL CUPBOARD, DROP HACKSAW, GET
TORCH,
N, N, N, DROP ROPE, GET LASER, KEY 2090, STEP PLATFORM, W, N, E, SHOOT
ROBOT,
DROP LASER, E, MOVE MILL, GET GLUE, W, W, S, E, TELE SPACESHIP, KEY 1890,
STEP
PLATFORM, W, N, E, E, N, W, W, SPRAY HEDGE, DROP GLUE, W, GET FISHING ROD,
E, E,
E, S, W, W, ANGLE LAKE, DROP FISHING ROD, GET HOUR GLASS, E, S, E, TELE
SPACESHIP, DROP HOUR GLASS, GET ROPE, KEY 2090, STEP PLATFORM, W, N, E, E,
N, W,
TIE ROD, N, OPEN DOOR, W, LIGHT TORCH, DROP TORCH, GET GRIT, E, S, E, S, W,
W,
S, E, TELE SPACESHIP, DROP TELEPORTER, GET HOUR GLASS, FILL HOUR GLASS.

Have fun! I'm going to time travel back to my childhood now...

Now, if only there was a modern day Xbox version with suped-up graphics :-S
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:01:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

PS: It's called Time Traveller not Time Machine
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:12:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Phillip Brown <pbrown@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all, looking for recommendations of a game that fits some or all of the
> following kind of categories:
>
> First-person
> Adventure based
> Preferably no (or minimal) weapons, action, shooting or blasting aliens
> Lets you just walk around and explore the environment
> No time limit pressure or scores to beat, just chill out and soak up the
> atmosphere
> Based in the real world
> Atmospheric
> Perhaps chilling, mythical or supernatural but not necessary
> Provides 'escapism' in a realistic setting
> Preferably set in the present day, or 19th-20th century
> Time Travel would be a real plus

So, basically what you're looking for is, erm..... real life. Why not
just go for a quick walk to the shops?

Choobs

--
Sir Chewbury Gubbins <chewbury.gubbins@nelefa.org>
http://www.nelesoft.com
http://www.nelefa.org
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:22:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Sir Chewbury Gubbins" <chewbury.gubbins@nelefa.org> wrote in message
news:1gqxw1l.1wnl9rm1knxbtdN%chewbury.gubbins@nelefa.org...
>
>> Adventure based
>> Atmospheric
>> Perhaps chilling, mythical or supernatural but not necessary
>> Preferably set in the present day, or 19th-20th century
>> Time Travel would be a real plus
>
> So, basically what you're looking for is, erm..... real life. Why not
> just go for a quick walk to the shops?
>
> Choobs

Haha! If you can find me a shop with adventures, ghosts and a worm hole
nearby, sure :) 
January 25, 2005 2:10:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Phillip Brown wrote:
> "Phyber Quest" <phyberquest@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:BE1AC002.D03B%phyberquest@yahoo.com...
> > MYST III would fit most of your interest.
>
> Thanks - looks good. I tried the original Myst about 10 years ago
and found
> it a bit static so I'm pleasently surprised to see this has 'free
look'.
> Will give it a try. I wonder if it has time travel...

I'd highly reccomend Syberia and Syberia II as well. Top notch games
and only $20 a pop!

- Jordan
January 25, 2005 2:12:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Syberia II does have a video introduction that goes through the events
of the first game. You should be able to pick up the second fairly
quickly... (although I felt the 1st game was far superior.)

- Jordan
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 2:56:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Phillip Brown" <pbrown@hotmail.com> Kissed me, Licked me, then left
me a note:

>Hi all, looking for recommendations of a game that fits some or all of the
>following kind of categories:

*snip*

It would be worth trying morrowind game of the year edition, it doesnt
tick every box, but its along the lines of what you are looking for.

And of course its on xbox.

On the pc currently you can download and play Anarchy online for free,
it may be worth trying this out too...

--
Was work really this fun in 2004?!
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 4:34:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Phillip Brown <pbrown@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Sir Chewbury Gubbins" <chewbury.gubbins@nelefa.org> wrote in message
> news:1gqxw1l.1wnl9rm1knxbtdN%chewbury.gubbins@nelefa.org...
> >
> >> Adventure based
> >> Atmospheric
> >> Perhaps chilling, mythical or supernatural but not necessary
> >> Preferably set in the present day, or 19th-20th century
> >> Time Travel would be a real plus
> >
> > So, basically what you're looking for is, erm..... real life. Why not
> > just go for a quick walk to the shops?
> >
> > Choobs
>
> Haha! If you can find me a shop with adventures, ghosts and a worm hole
> nearby, sure :) 

I don't know where you are, but Grays of George Street in Edinburgh
meets those criteria. It's like steping through a wormhole to a 1920s
department store. I was in the basement (where the hardware is) buying a
screwdriver and then had popped up in the lift to the first floor to
look at some phone extension cables. Imagine my shock to discover.....

.....it was the same wee man at the counter on the first floor that had
served me in the basement!

That shop's just WRONG.

Choobs

--
Sir Chewbury Gubbins <chewbury.gubbins@nelefa.org>
http://www.nelesoft.com
http://www.nelefa.org
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 7:21:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Sir Chewbury Gubbins" <chewbury.gubbins@nelefa.org> wrote in message
news:1gqy540.hq9293e82p7yN%chewbury.gubbins@nelefa.org...
>> Haha! If you can find me a shop with adventures, ghosts and a worm hole
>> nearby, sure :) 
>
> I don't know where you are, but Grays of George Street in Edinburgh
> meets those criteria. It's like steping through a wormhole to a 1920s
> department store. I was in the basement (where the hardware is) buying a
> screwdriver and then had popped up in the lift to the first floor to
> look at some phone extension cables. Imagine my shock to discover.....
>
> ....it was the same wee man at the counter on the first floor that had
> served me in the basement!
>
> That shop's just WRONG.

I'll be sure to check it out from London when I get my teleporter working ;) 

Phil
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 7:36:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In article <z5pJd.18333$GG1.6591@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
pbrown@hotmail.com says...
> "Sir Chewbury Gubbins" <chewbury.gubbins@nelefa.org> wrote in message
> news:1gqxw1l.1wnl9rm1knxbtdN%chewbury.gubbins@nelefa.org...
> >
> >> Adventure based
> >> Atmospheric
> >> Perhaps chilling, mythical or supernatural but not necessary
> >> Preferably set in the present day, or 19th-20th century
> >> Time Travel would be a real plus
> >
> > So, basically what you're looking for is, erm..... real life. Why not
> > just go for a quick walk to the shops?
> >
> > Choobs
>
> Haha! If you can find me a shop with adventures, ghosts and a worm hole
> nearby, sure :) 

Probably HMV. You could get Indiana Jones, Scooby Do and Farscape on DVD
:-)
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 9:35:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Phillip Brown" <pbrown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:8OoJd.18325$GG1.12028@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> PS: It's called Time Traveller not Time Machine

Ah, then it's something else. I'm pretty sure that the one I played was
called Time Machine. And the graphics were some of the best to come out of
the old grey. But it's hard to find a ROM for that too.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 9:35:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Kramer" <cosmo@kramerica.com> wrote in message
news:ErvJd.5976$IW4.124145@news2.e.nsc.no...
>
> "Phillip Brown" <pbrown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:8OoJd.18325$GG1.12028@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> PS: It's called Time Traveller not Time Machine
>
> Ah, then it's something else. I'm pretty sure that the one I played was
> called Time Machine. And the graphics were some of the best to come out of
> the old grey. But it's hard to find a ROM for that too.

Did you recognise the screenshot I sent in the previous link?

I'd like to get to the bottom of this as it sounds like we're both
remembering another game! :)  I think I got it mixed up with Time Traveller
which I also enjoyed.

Can you describe 'Time Machine' as best you can? I may be able to track it
down. Here's what I remember:

Graphic adventure
You start on the 'bridge' of a spaceship
Static screens (like The Pawn)
Could have been text controlled, or joystick
I *think* it had elements of time travel - object of game *may* have been to
get back home
One of the first screens shows a staircase going down to your right, and
ahead is the helm of the spaceship with the view of the stars through the
window

Ring any bells?

Phil
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 9:39:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

I may be a crazy person, but I think it's fun to jump out of the car in free
roaming car games like Driver 3, and just walk around the city, once in a
while. Then perhaps blow up a couple of cars and hijack a bus if I'm in a
good mood.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 9:39:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Kramer" <cosmo@kramerica.com> wrote in message
news:uvvJd.5977$IW4.124183@news2.e.nsc.no...
>I may be a crazy person, but I think it's fun to jump out of the car in
>free
> roaming car games like Driver 3, and just walk around the city, once in a
> while. Then perhaps blow up a couple of cars and hijack a bus if I'm in a
> good mood.

Cosmo Kramer you're not crazy at all -- that's where I'm coming from with my
original list. All too often you have to resort to violence in games to
have 'fun', but I just wanna chill, sneak around, go where I'm not supposed
to, check out the sights, and truly explore another 'world'.

I thought SW Galaxies would allow that, but somehow it just didn't feel
right. Not sure why, as I'm a big SW fan.

I'm talking about games like Damocles back on the Amiga -- remember that?
What a classic, and you could roam around, go into people's houses... I
particularly loved that councillor's house with the opening roof and a view
of the night stars through it.

Other games that gave me that chill were Star Wars: Dark Forces, Doom (a bit
when I just walked around), stuff like that.

Bring on the atmos!

Seinphil
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 10:29:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In article <SDvJd.77$5S5.1@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
pbrown@hotmail.com says...
> "Kramer" <cosmo@kramerica.com> wrote in message
> news:uvvJd.5977$IW4.124183@news2.e.nsc.no...
> >I may be a crazy person, but I think it's fun to jump out of the car in
> >free
> > roaming car games like Driver 3, and just walk around the city, once in a
> > while. Then perhaps blow up a couple of cars and hijack a bus if I'm in a
> > good mood.
>
> Cosmo Kramer you're not crazy at all -- that's where I'm coming from with my
> original list. All too often you have to resort to violence in games to
> have 'fun', but I just wanna chill, sneak around, go where I'm not supposed
> to, check out the sights, and truly explore another 'world'.

Ah what we really need is a (cue old codemasters generic game names)
Professional Streaker Simulator. You get to run around a city at your
own pleasure. Then at some point in time you can throw off your clothes
and run though a crowd of people. Points are awarded for the amount of
screams and headlines in the local news papers, but you must avoid
getting nicked by the police. It could be a live game where you battle
for streaking rights to territories. At the end of each day the person
who scored the most in a district gains ownership. The aim - to become
master streaker of the city.

Power ups include a dirty mac, fishnet stockings a floppy hat, fake
rubber breasts and a strap on rubber chicken to hang over suitable
areas. Female players can win a pair of cherries to place somewhere
suitable and an attractive collection of merkins :-)
January 25, 2005 10:36:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Phillip Brown wrote:

> Cosmo Kramer you're not crazy at all -- that's where I'm coming from with my
> original list. All too often you have to resort to violence in games to
> have 'fun', but I just wanna chill, sneak around, go where I'm not supposed
> to, check out the sights, and truly explore another 'world'.
>
> I thought SW Galaxies would allow that, but somehow it just didn't feel
> right. Not sure why, as I'm a big SW fan.
>
> I'm talking about games like Damocles back on the Amiga -- remember that?
> What a classic, and you could roam around, go into people's houses... I
> particularly loved that councillor's house with the opening roof and a view
> of the night stars through it.
>
> Other games that gave me that chill were Star Wars: Dark Forces, Doom (a bit
> when I just walked around), stuff like that.
>
> Bring on the atmos!
>
> Seinphil
>
>

Morrowind surely. I mean , I played it for donkeys without even starting
the main plot. I've never played such a free roaming RPG.

--
Remove stars for email
b*l*o*w*i*n*g*f*r*o*g*@*m*a*c*.*c*o*m
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 10:58:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Gary" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:1106681552.31863.0@echo.uk.clara.net...
> Phillip Brown wrote:
>
> Morrowind surely. I mean , I played it for donkeys without even starting
> the main plot. I've never played such a free roaming RPG.

Yup, looks good to me. Consider it added to my wish list, and thank you for
the recommendation.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 11:32:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

> >> PS: It's called Time Traveller not Time Machine
> >
> > Ah, then it's something else. I'm pretty sure that the one I played was
> > called Time Machine. And the graphics were some of the best to come out
of
> > the old grey. But it's hard to find a ROM for that too.
>
> Did you recognise the screenshot I sent in the previous link?

No, sorry. I don't think I've played that one.

> I'd like to get to the bottom of this as it sounds like we're both
> remembering another game! :)  I think I got it mixed up with Time
Traveller
> which I also enjoyed.
>
> Can you describe 'Time Machine' as best you can? I may be able to track
it
> down. Here's what I remember:
>
> Graphic adventure
> You start on the 'bridge' of a spaceship
> Static screens (like The Pawn)
> Could have been text controlled, or joystick
> I *think* it had elements of time travel - object of game *may* have been
to
> get back home
> One of the first screens shows a staircase going down to your right, and
> ahead is the helm of the spaceship with the view of the stars through the
> window
>
> Ring any bells?

Well, not exactly. I remember like a outside kind of
find-objects-for-your-time-machine kind of thingy. The load screen image had
an old scientist disappearing into some sort of a time warp, or something.
It was going on outside, on a rather small level where you went back and
forth, and you had to get past something or somebody to get to your objects.
I think it was a pretty late game for the C64, it came in 1990 or 1991 I
think.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 11:32:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Kramer" <cosmo@kramerica.com> wrote in message
news:m9xJd.5998$IW4.124114@news2.e.nsc.no...
>> Ring any bells?
>
> Well, not exactly. I remember like a outside kind of
> find-objects-for-your-time-machine kind of thingy. The load screen image
> had
> an old scientist disappearing into some sort of a time warp, or something.
> It was going on outside, on a rather small level where you went back and
> forth, and you had to get past something or somebody to get to your
> objects.
> I think it was a pretty late game for the C64, it came in 1990 or 1991 I
> think.

Oh pants, sounds like a different game. Oh well. For all I can remember
the one I'm thinking of may have been on the Amiga! :-S

How ironic, I actually need a time machine to go back in time so I can
remember what the Time Machine game was called.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 11:35:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Kramer wrote:

> Well, not exactly. I remember like a outside kind of
> find-objects-for-your-time-machine kind of thingy. The load screen image had
> an old scientist disappearing into some sort of a time warp, or something.
> It was going on outside, on a rather small level where you went back and
> forth, and you had to get past something or somebody to get to your objects.
> I think it was a pretty late game for the C64, it came in 1990 or 1991 I
> think.

http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/articles/thetimemachine.htm look the part? Not
that I can help with the C64 version, but that sounds like what you
described. The tell-tale bit being the 'small level' bit, since each
timezone was played over 5 screens.

-Matt
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 11:52:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

> >I may be a crazy person, but I think it's fun to jump out of the car in
> >free
> > roaming car games like Driver 3, and just walk around the city, once in
a
> > while. Then perhaps blow up a couple of cars and hijack a bus if I'm in
a
> > good mood.
>
> Cosmo Kramer you're not crazy at all -- that's where I'm coming from with
my
> original list. All too often you have to resort to violence in games to
> have 'fun', but I just wanna chill, sneak around, go where I'm not
supposed
> to, check out the sights, and truly explore another 'world'.
>
> I thought SW Galaxies would allow that, but somehow it just didn't feel
> right. Not sure why, as I'm a big SW fan.

Aye, I feel that way too about it and I know a lot of other SW fans that
feels exactly the same. My experience with it was that it was very, very
slow gameplay and that had been cool enough if it hadn't been for the fact
that the framrate was so choppy, and the graphics weren't that great either.
When I think back on the time I played it last year, it had it's moments,
but I'm not sure if I wanna go back in. It's was awfully time consuming too.

> I'm talking about games like Damocles back on the Amiga -- remember that?
> What a classic, and you could roam around, go into people's houses... I
> particularly loved that councillor's house with the opening roof and a
view
> of the night stars through it.
>
> Other games that gave me that chill were Star Wars: Dark Forces, Doom (a
bit
> when I just walked around), stuff like that.

Oh yeaaah! Dark Forces was, and I personally think still is, totally
awesome. I really wish they would just ditch the lightsabers and the whole
jedi thing and just make a sequel to Dark Forces with Kyle Katarn and a
stormtrooper rifle. The Jedi Knight games were pitty okiday, but they were
nowhere close to the original Dark Forces, imho.

The Knights of The Old Republic was a great game on it's own and had
everything I like about being able to explore things in your own pace and
such, but I can't deny that I would have liked it many time more had it been
set closer to Ep. IV-VI.

Of newer games, I personally thought that Max Payne had a very good
atmosphere. It was surprisingly easy to get into the mood intended, despite
the 3d person view. I like game that has a lot of different weather effects,
or focuses on one heavy one like Max Payne with it's snow storm. Ghost Recon
was also nice since it captured real life woods pitty okiday.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 11:52:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Kramer" <cosmo@kramerica.com> wrote in message
news:rrxJd.6002$IW4.124524@news2.e.nsc.no...
> Oh yeaaah! Dark Forces was, and I personally think still is, totally
> awesome. I really wish they would just ditch the lightsabers and the whole
> jedi thing and just make a sequel to Dark Forces with Kyle Katarn and a
> stormtrooper rifle. The Jedi Knight games were pitty okiday, but they were
> nowhere close to the original Dark Forces, imho.

Howa wude!

> The Knights of The Old Republic was a great game on it's own and had
> everything I like about being able to explore things in your own pace and
> such, but I can't deny that I would have liked it many time more had it
> been
> set closer to Ep. IV-VI.

Mesa thinks this is very well said.

> Of newer games, I personally thought that Max Payne had a very good
> atmosphere. It was surprisingly easy to get into the mood intended,
> despite
> the 3d person view. I like game that has a lot of different weather
> effects,
> or focuses on one heavy one like Max Payne with it's snow storm. Ghost
> Recon
> was also nice since it captured real life woods pitty okiday.

I remember an old text-based adventure game for the C64 which was I think an
unofficial public domain job, that was set in the Death Star. I loved the
moments where you were sitting out of sight, looking down at prisoner cells
or stormtroopers. Just imagining myself on the Death Star itself was very
easy.

But I think therein lies the dilemma. The more realistic a game, like SW
Galaxies, the less of your imagination it allows you to tap into. Therefore
text or still-graphics adventures are what we remember most fondly, like
Future Wars Time Travellers on the Amiga (did you ever play that?). Things
like Dark Forces are the next best as their graphics wasn't 'that' good, and
the most realistic of all are the least captivating of your imagination.
Kinda makeada sensy no?

So I'm hoping Xbox games like Morrowind that Gary suggested might just work,
as the graphics is apparently not all that ;) 
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 11:53:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

> > >I may be a crazy person, but I think it's fun to jump out of the car in
> > >free
> > > roaming car games like Driver 3, and just walk around the city, once
in a
> > > while. Then perhaps blow up a couple of cars and hijack a bus if I'm
in a
> > > good mood.
> >
> > Cosmo Kramer you're not crazy at all -- that's where I'm coming from
with my
> > original list. All too often you have to resort to violence in games to
> > have 'fun', but I just wanna chill, sneak around, go where I'm not
supposed
> > to, check out the sights, and truly explore another 'world'.
>
> Ah what we really need is a (cue old codemasters generic game names)
> Professional Streaker Simulator. You get to run around a city at your
> own pleasure. Then at some point in time you can throw off your clothes
> and run though a crowd of people. Points are awarded for the amount of
> screams and headlines in the local news papers, but you must avoid
> getting nicked by the police. It could be a live game where you battle
> for streaking rights to territories. At the end of each day the person
> who scored the most in a district gains ownership. The aim - to become
> master streaker of the city.
>
> Power ups include a dirty mac, fishnet stockings a floppy hat, fake
> rubber breasts and a strap on rubber chicken to hang over suitable
> areas. Female players can win a pair of cherries to place somewhere
> suitable and an attractive collection of merkins :-)

Now that sounds like a hell of a game. :o )
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 2:10:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In article <0txJd.6004$IW4.124504@news2.e.nsc.no>, cosmo@kramerica.com
says...
>
> > > >I may be a crazy person, but I think it's fun to jump out of the car in
> > > >free
> > > > roaming car games like Driver 3, and just walk around the city, once
> in a
> > > > while. Then perhaps blow up a couple of cars and hijack a bus if I'm
> in a
> > > > good mood.
> > >
> > > Cosmo Kramer you're not crazy at all -- that's where I'm coming from
> with my
> > > original list. All too often you have to resort to violence in games to
> > > have 'fun', but I just wanna chill, sneak around, go where I'm not
> supposed
> > > to, check out the sights, and truly explore another 'world'.
> >
> > Ah what we really need is a (cue old codemasters generic game names)
> > Professional Streaker Simulator. You get to run around a city at your
> > own pleasure. Then at some point in time you can throw off your clothes
> > and run though a crowd of people. Points are awarded for the amount of
> > screams and headlines in the local news papers, but you must avoid
> > getting nicked by the police. It could be a live game where you battle
> > for streaking rights to territories. At the end of each day the person
> > who scored the most in a district gains ownership. The aim - to become
> > master streaker of the city.
> >
> > Power ups include a dirty mac, fishnet stockings a floppy hat, fake
> > rubber breasts and a strap on rubber chicken to hang over suitable
> > areas. Female players can win a pair of cherries to place somewhere
> > suitable and an attractive collection of merkins :-)
>
> Now that sounds like a hell of a game. :o )

Heh, It could have potential as long as EA don't do it.


Now if Ubisoft took it up , with their liberated french minds, I'd sell
them the production rights for a free copy :-)
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest
!