  • Configuration
  • Wireless Network
  • Windows XP
February 14, 2005 1:44:54 PM

Hi there,

thanx so long for your help and patience with my question.

I want to set up a network in my house as follows:
1. My own PC (has shared ADSL internet access)
2. Another TWO PC's which share in the above internet connection as well
as the printers instaaled on my ons PC.
3. ONE Laptop that will join the Network from time to time.

I want this network to be wireless.
Do I have to have a router of some kind, or can the above network work
without a router.

Sorry if the answer to this is abvious to you, but I just want to be
sure as a lot of Computer Shops want to sell to me more than I propably
need.

Regards,
Deon

More about : station prof wireless network

February 14, 2005 5:15:41 PM

inline

"Deon H" <deonNOSPAM@pess.co.za> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> thanx so long for your help and patience with my question.
>
> I want to set up a network in my house as follows:
> 1. My own PC (has shared ADSL internet access)
> 2. Another TWO PC's which share in the above internet connection as well
> as the printers instaaled on my ons PC.
> 3. ONE Laptop that will join the Network from time to time.
>

> I want this network to be wireless.
> Do I have to have a router of some kind, or can the above network work
> without a router.

This can be made to work without a router.
You can share the internet connection on your PC, which will let your other
pc's/laptop have access to the net.
In order to do that a simple 4-port or 8-port (for growth!) switch would be
sufficient.
There are however some drawbacks with this kind of setup.
The PC sharing the connection must be up and running in order for other
machines to gain acces to the net.
All machines would have to have their own firewall solution installed (and
updated) to protect them from idiots trying to get into your machine /
network.
All machines should have a virus scanning solution for mail and browser
access.

With a simple router you don't need to share the connection.
All machines could individually go through the router out to the net.
SOHO Routers usually have some form of built-in firewall connection, so that
could make it easier on the other boxes.
All machines should still have a virus scanning solution for mail and
browser access.

Some of the 'obvious' arguments.

hth

george

> Sorry if the answer to this is abvious to you, but I just want to be
> sure as a lot of Computer Shops want to sell to me more than I propably
> need.
>
> Regards,
> Deon
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 5:15:42 PM

Hi George,

Thanx for your reply. This is exactly the help I was looking for. After
reading your post, I have decided to go the Router route.

Thanx again.

Deon
!