Computer screen blank after installed new video card.

kayanaat

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Hey I hope this is the right sub forum for this topic. Basically when I put in my new video card I bought today, my monitor wont register to the computer.

New video card bought [EVGA Geforce GTX 550 ti]
Old video card [chipset something internal on the motherboard]
Power Supply [Corsair CX 500]
Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.7 GHz

I first went into the control panel and disabled the internal chipset video card. Then i restarted the computer and went into the bios and made it that the computer would use peg [pcie] for the video card and not the internal one.

Even after all those steps my monitor wont power on. Is my video card not compatible with the power supply or something of that sort? LMK if you need more info.

Thanks in advance for looking at this post.

-raj

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
I can reassure you that the PSU is plenty for this.

I would try it again without the BIOS changes -- the system should recognize and use the new card just fine without doing any of that. It may need the integrated controller to get the system going (not sure just an idea).

kayanaat

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
@ sk1939 I am sure that everything is plugged in and clicks etc.

@deadlockedworld I did try it without the bios changes and with [there are 4 options, Auto, Integrated, PEG, forgot 4th]

Auto is what it was default so i tried with auto and with PEG. I guess i can try with the other 2

p_bug

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Just make sure that the card is running in the first place.Look at the graphics card fan and see if it is spinning or not for starters.

Also make sure that the video cable is not loose.

kayanaat

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Yeah its running and the fan is spinning and my cables are not loose and are firmly in. I am really confused -.-. Can it be my motherboard is not accepting this video card?

Axelion

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
I experienced this same issue long time ago but with ATI 5770 when I realized that my motherboard only supports PCI Express x16 1.0.
The card should be backward compatible and I think someone mentioned to me that some older boards with PCI Express x16 1.0 do not provide enough power in the lane which is why it gave me black screen even though the fan is running.

p_bug

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

so it could be the motherboard.

I would advise you to grab hold of any used card(just for testing), maybe borrow from a friend or the local shopkeeper and see if the problem is solved.

Axelion

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

That must be a typo because the product specification sheet says this:

"1.6.1.6 PCI Express x16 Graphics

The GMCH also supports add in discrete graphics card via the PCI Express graphics
connector.

• PCI Express 1.1 x16:
⎯ Supports PCI Express GEN1 frequency of 1.25 GHz resulting in 2.5 Gb/s each
direction (500 MB/s total). Maximum theoretical bandwidth on interface of
4 GB/s in each direction simultaneously, for an aggregate of 8 GB/s when
operating in x16 mode."

abhishek patel

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Oh dear,

I have same confg and my graphic card is nvideo g 210...i have the same same prb...

But an interesting thing is that if i remove my graphic card and packed it for 1 week than if works automatically..

But it will only work for 1 day than again i have to keep it ideal..

my mother board is 3 year old and i have repaired it once,so i think that my on board component such as inductors and capacitor which boosts the current and voltages are getting weak...but not sure abt it..

thats must be the reason...no external power supply would solve it because on board component's electronic leakage is the issue i think so....